Subject: This will not end well rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
The President is manifestly unfit for office, a nepotist, a national security risk, and probably guilty of obstructing justice.

And yet his own party will probably do nothing to protect the Republic.

They are committed to ensuring the United States is transformed from a democracy to a kleptocracy. Their agenda is to cut social benefits for the poor and lower middle class and give the savings to the rich (probably they'll increase the debt to give a little more to the rich actually). They want to deregulate so that markets can be captured and external costs passed through.

As long as they believe he will help them advance that agenda they will not hold him accountable. Rule of law, norms, traditions, the good of the country be damned.

By setting up an "alternate fact" universe, systemically de-legitimizing traditional streams of information, gerrymandering, and suppressing votes (soon at a federal level) they have convinced enough of their base to support their agenda that they can safely act even without a majority or plurality of the electorate.

This won't stand. There will be resistance to this agenda coupled with this lack of accountability.

I'm on record against punching nazis in the head. I do not support violent protests. I will not applaud a lot of what is going to happen.

But I recognize that exhortations to be docile and be polite in the face of this naked contempt for out mutual society and the destruction of our long held institutions in the service of short term greed will not cut it.

If Trump is not held accountable by his own party and they continue to advance their agenda then I predict this will not end well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So this thread is a reboot? Outrage 2.0?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

Yep. Still outraged. Actually, even more outraged now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

And deservedly so. But it seems like you are more outraged by people asking you to calm down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
When Lindsey freakin' Graham is the closest thing the ruling party has to a moral conscience, you know America is in deep shit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

And deservedly so. But it seems like you are more outraged by people asking you to calm down.

I have not shown any reaction in any thread to any emotional suggestion. You told me to fuck off as I recall and I didn't reply. I don't think I'm the one who's not calm.

What you are doing is trying to degrade my argument by associating it with high emotion. It's a form of attacking the messenger. It may give you something to say in the moment but it won't change the fact that we are headed for civil disobedience and some violence and the reason were headed for this is the deliberate destruction of norms and institutions which could prevent it in the service of an immoral agenda.

You still a martyr for team R?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

How the party associated with morality became the most immoral party.

And the other party associated with immorality kinda, sorta, wimpily protested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to the local democratic party and sign up.

Get out the vote.
Donate to organizations that oppose voter suppression.
Subscribe to the New York Times. Donate to The Young Turks.

Do not go quietly into the good night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
The President is manifestly unfit for office, a nepotist, a national security risk, and probably guilty of obstructing justice.

And yet his own party will probably do nothing to protect the Republic.

They are committed to ensuring the United States is transformed from a democracy to a kleptocracy. Their agenda is to cut social benefits for the poor and lower middle class and give the savings to the rich (probably they'll increase the debt to give a little more to the rich actually). They want to deregulate so that markets can be captured and external costs passed through.

As long as they believe he will help them advance that agenda they will not hold him accountable. Rule of law, norms, traditions, the good of the country be damned.

By setting up an "alternate fact" universe, systemically de-legitimizing traditional streams of information, gerrymandering, and suppressing votes (soon at a federal level) they have convinced enough of their base to support their agenda that they can safely act even without a majority or plurality of the electorate.

This won't stand. There will be resistance to this agenda coupled with this lack of accountability.

I'm on record against punching nazis in the head. I do not support violent protests. I will not applaud a lot of what is going to happen.

But I recognize that exhortations to be docile and be polite in the face of this naked contempt for out mutual society and the destruction of our long held institutions in the service of short term greed will not cut it.

If Trump is not held accountable by his own party and they continue to advance their agenda then I predict this will not end well.

You left out the white nationalism, religious bigotry and prejudice to boot. So yeah, even more than you listed to get outraged about. One would have to be deaf, dumb, blind, and incredibly stupid not to fear what comes next.

Besides the things Mac listed, you may consider donating to some of the special elections coming up. That would be GA-26 and the at large in Montana. Nothing will terrorize the GOP quite like losing in these two red districts. Thing of it as a down payment rooting out the GOP from positions of power. Then hopefully we can get a conservative party not so tainted to take their place.

Until then we can only do what we can and hope this does not end badly for the country
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rost
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Get out the vote.

When registering for each of those things, we of RSP ask that you use the promo code: BGG_RSP_mcleod.

Thanks, that is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:

You left out the white nationalism, religious bigotry and prejudice to boot. So yeah, even more than you listed to get outraged about.

Believe it or not, I'm not convinced these are significant aspects in the Trump story. They exist to some degree to be sure, but a lot of the people who voted for Trump voted for Obama.

Evangelicals are another matter. They are profoundly pro Trump and may well be his last bastion of support keeping this house of cards standing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/trump-is-evangelical...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

I have not shown any reaction in any thread to any emotional suggestion. You told me to fuck off as I recall and I didn't reply. I don't think I'm the one who's not calm.

What you are doing is trying to degrade my argument by associating it with high emotion. It's a form of attacking the messenger. It may give you something to say in the moment but it won't change the fact that we are headed for civil disobedience and some violence and the reason were headed for this is the deliberate destruction of norms and institutions which could prevent it in the service of an immoral agenda.

My comment was based solely on the fact that this seems exactly like your last one, right down to how upset you are when people tell you to be calm and reasonable. That's the part that stuck out to me. At least this time. Last time it was how everyone on the right are horrible people. This time I either didn't notice it or have become numb to it.

As to whether I am still a martyr for Team R, I suppose that depends on what you mean. If it means that I'm disappointed in how blindly people follow the party down to allowing a narcissist with no discernible affection for this country to hold its highest office, if it means that I am ashamed of how the party is behaving now that it has the trifecta of power in its pocket, if it means I wish they would actually act on the values of those in the party instead of simply giving it lip service, if it means I still fight in my own way to try and reclaim this party from what it had been, then I suppose I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

With you. It really defies sanity what is happening now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

My comment was based solely on the fact that this seems exactly like your last one, right down to how upset you are when people tell you to be calm and reasonable. That's the part that stuck out to me. At least this time. Last time it was how everyone on the right are horrible people. This time I either didn't notice it or have become numb to it.

As to whether I am still a martyr for Team R, I suppose that depends on what you mean. If it means that I'm disappointed in how blindly people follow the party down to allowing a narcissist with no discernible affection for this country to hold its highest office, if it means that I am ashamed of how the party is behaving now that it has the trifecta of power in its pocket, if it means I wish they would actually act on the values of those in the party instead of simply giving it lip service, if it means I still fight in my own way to try and reclaim this party from what it had been, then I suppose I am.

He didn't return tit for tat in the other thread where you told him to go screw himself. Why are you still trying to get him to react?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:

Get out the vote.

I would also suggest that an alternative to that is to sign up at your local republican party.

Get out and campaign for those who you believe will put an end to the policies which racists have allowed to ride on the party's coattails.
Change the voice of the party in what social media you choose to forward

Or are Democrats the only ones who want this nightmare to end?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Get out the vote.

I would also suggest that an alternative to that is to sign up at your local republican party.

Get out and campaign for those who you believe will put an end to the policies which racists have allowed to ride on the party's coattails.

Given that the GOP are the ones perpetuating the voter suppression, the looting of the country, the attempt to kick millions off of the insurance rolls to enrich the 1% it would indicate that yeah, as a party, the Democrats are the only ones who want the nightmare to end.

Why in God's name would he want to join the party in the midst of destroying the country? That is just to pathetic for words. Try again when decent human beings are in charge over there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:

You left out the white nationalism, religious bigotry and prejudice to boot. So yeah, even more than you listed to get outraged about.

Believe it or not, I'm not convinced these are significant aspects in the Trump story. They exist to some degree to be sure, but a lot of the people who voted for Trump voted for Obama.

Evangelicals are another matter. They are profoundly pro Trump and may well be his last bastion of support keeping this house of cards standing.

And that's the most shocking thing. That evangelicals would support a licentious, serial adulterer, who sexually assaulted women and repeatedly lied in his business dealings and behaved immorally in his business dealings.

I don't want to hear about morality from any evangelical who voted for donald trump again in my lifetime. They have zero credibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
mbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Get out the vote.

No, thanks. The GOP is too fundamentally against too many bedrock principles for me. I appreciate the moderates doing their best though. But it's not my responsibility to change the GOP from within. The most I have done is support moderate Republicans in local elections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Get out the vote.

I wish you luck but I think that while the democratic party is a little broken and corrupted that the republican party is irrevocably and massively broken and corrupted. And has been for at least 9 years. (and the roots of the rot go back 12 years before that).

I think the only thing that will fix the republicans is for them to fail massively and for the honest republicans to peal off and form a new party which isn't corrupt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

With you. It really defies sanity what is happening now.

Saw this coming since last July.

Well, not the outright collusion with russians. I just thought he'd be our most corrupt president ever while plundering the country for his personal fortune and letting republicans run rampant over us for the next 20 years. One more supreme court justice and it doesn't really matter if they lose politically for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

He didn't return tit for tat in the other thread where you told him to go screw himself. Why are you still trying to get him to react?

-I- didn't get -him- to react? As I recall, he was the one who basically said there was little-to-no virtue with those who stood on the right side of the aisle, politician and supporter alike. And, as a person who is registered with the party, who has fought what fight I could to keep this fiasco from happening, to inject some sanity into the proceedings on this side of things, yeah, I took offense. But if you just see this as some tit for tat thing, I'm afraid that since I reacted to what he threw out that first time, I see myself as the tat.

But that's not what this one is about. Honestly, it was exactly what I said. It was me noticing that the part in both threads (again, as I remember the first one) was his ire at being told to be calm and reasoned. That's it. That stuck out to me. Does he get asked that a great deal? Full extent of my interest. Aside from that one point, how is this different from every other missive about the impending downfall of this great nation? I let those slide because they are disinteresting. But this one I replied to because of that one solitary point of interest.

Face value. No ulterior motive. No vendetta. Just... curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:

Get out the vote.

Given that the GOP are the ones perpetuating the voter suppression, the looting of the country, the attempt to kick millions off of the insurance rolls to enrich the 1% it would indicate that yeah, as a party, the Democrats are the only ones who want the nightmare to end.

Why in God's name would he want to join the party in the midst of destroying the country? That is just to pathetic for words. Try again when decent human beings are in charge over there

If everyone who has a sane voice just walks out of the party, then how will the party ever get to that point of decent people being in charge? There needs to be a fight for the soul of the party. I've said so for a while, and that was just when the seeds of the Tea Party were being sown. I didn't wait for the yield to bare fruit to say so.

But I still see the need for a fight. And I will still try to recruit people to join me in hopes of bringing sanity and dignity back to the party, to resist the kind of shameful and loathsome antics that have gone on the past few years, and especially the last few months. I know that for you, the line is clear. Good and virtuous on the left, evil on the right, and whatever side of the line you stand on determines who you are as a person. That single factor determines all. So I guess I will just have to bear the idea that I am a horrible individual with no redeeming value whatsoever as I try to reform from within what you would crush from without. Either way, we want it gone. I would think that would be enough to be seen as somewhat redemptive, but it's been repeatedly shown to not be the case.

By trying to be part of the solution, I am part of the problem. Golly, the urge to apologize just wells up in me once again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

Looks like its time to change a crossing into a dead end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:

And that's the most shocking thing. That evangelicals would support a licentious, serial adulterer, who sexually assaulted women and repeatedly lied in his business dealings and behaved immorally in his business dealings.

I don't want to hear about morality from any evangelical who voted for donald trump again in my lifetime. They have zero credibility.

No morality... just some conditions they are trying to exorcise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/big-penis-things-ask-google/

Please ignore the title and give this a listen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.