41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Too many choices! Coop w/wife game, what next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Ladd
msg tools
My wife and I are finishing up our Pandemic Legacy game, which we've really enjoyed. I'm looking to see where we can go next. A couple of considerations: Arkham Horror LCG, Eldritch Horror, Mansions of Madness, Elder Sign, Legends of Andor, and LOTR card game.

I think the LCG format and Mansions of Madness I'm mostly worried about value of replayability for my money. I really like the Lovecraft theme and I think my wife would too. But, I can buy several games for the initial investment of these games.

I worry about Eldritch Horror being too long or too finicky with the rules for my wife's sake. I think that is her biggest complaint about Legacy is the piling on of rules.

Legends of Andor seems cool, my wife really likes LOTR, and I think this has that theme and doesn't seem to be too heavy in the combat, which I think favors her taste. Little worried about replayability here.

I'm leaning Elder Sign, it has the theme and my wife likes to chuck dice. And, it has expansions which seem to add quite a bit to the game. Not sure, seen mixed reviews.

Any thoughts or experiences with these games would be helpful OR something else entirely? These will be played with two almost exclusively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, I can't help. I wouldn't like any of those games!

What if the two of you sat down and watched a play through of each of your candidates together?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoyed Eldritch Horror together. I have the first few expansions, so there are more cards to read through than we're ever likely to.

We control two characters each, but I don't see why you couldn't do one each.

Andor is pretty great. The key is making it past legends 1 & 2 which are tutorials. 3 and 5 are the ones that can be played multiple times.

Some people get hung up on the fact that killing monsters takes time and spending time can lose you the game. If that mechanic doesn't bother you, Andor is great for two. I played all missions controlling two characters, and it was fine.

Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective is a good game for couples. Mostly reading case books, scanning the map and putting together clues. Lots of collaboration. Advice, ignore the scoring mechanism and judge yourselves on how many answers you got right.

We've also played a chunk of Mice and Mystics. I love dungeon crawlers, she loves theme heavy games. It's a good match for that as well. Simple dungeon crawler dice chucker with cool theme, good story and some interesting mechanics. Hmmm... I might be about to go play some Mice and Mystics....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El Dorito
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
badge
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Grand Austria Hotel.

Not a coop but a fantastic dice placement game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also enjoyed PL with my wife. Havnt found the answer to your question yet.
But I love Andor. My wife does NOT like the LOTR fantasy like setting, so I'm playing this with some friends, but if your wife does like it, this would be a very good option.
Plays fine with two (both players csn choose to control two characters, which I would opt for, or you can both just play one).
Between the basic box and the small expansion Legends of Andor: The Star Shield I have spent more time playing Andor, than playing PL. There are a couple of free online print and play scenarios, which expand the life of the basic game further.
And we still love it, and recently got the first big expansion Legends of Andor: Journey to the North for my birthday. Played the first scenario of that and still loving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the LOTR LCG, but it's something I'd recommend with steep reservations. The problem is that the game is about 2/3 deck construction, 1/3 actually playing the game. The quests are (mostly) awesome, but because they are so diverse it's really difficult to do them all with a single deck (or pair of decks).

Additionally, it's very, very difficult to create thematic decks that actually work (unless you play dwarves and buy the right expansions), so sometimes loving LOTR can actually make deck construction more difficult.

Which is not to say it's impossible (and it might actually be a lot easier running two decks; I've mainly played solo), but unless you and your wife would enjoy creating decks together as well as playing the actual game, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

Replayability is decent, but depends on the quest. There are some quests I've played over and over, and others I played once and swore I would never touch again (not necessarily because they were bad, but because they usually were ultra-focused on one particular aspect of the game, and I prefer the quests that force you to prioritize combat vs. questing as opposed to forcing you to go all-in on one aspect).

I can't wait to try Arkham Horror LCG. It sounds like it fixed basically all of the things I didn't like about LOTR LCG. I haven't played it myself yet, though, so I can't actually recommend it.

I personally didn't like Elder Sign much, but I only ever played it on iPad. Might have enjoyed it a lot more if playing with a partner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Hibbert
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Legends of Andor (and its expansions). Some of the expansions provide a fair bit of replayability.

Also, if you're looking for a lightweight cooperative game that's great from 2 to 4 players then check out Beyond Baker Street!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bianca Summers
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My boyfriend and I have LOTR card game, Mansions of Madness and Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition.

I love Mansions of Madness. We have both editions but we have only played the first edition so far. I think it is really fun. The downsides for me is that the setup takes quite a bit of time and I feel like there are a lot of rules. One person has to be the Keeper and one person has to be the investigator(in the first edition). My boyfriend and I love to be on the same team but if you get the second edition, the app with takes over as the Keeper. There are 5 different scenarios so the replayability would still be there.

LOTR-We have only played 1 scenario. We liked it but it was really challenging for us. There are a million expansions so you will never have to worry about running out of play with this one!

I've been curious about all the games that you mentioned. I am always looking for new games for my boyfriend and I. I'm thinking about Legends of Andor or Arkham Horror next.

Suggestion- Mice and Mystics, it has a super cool theme. Miniature mice trying to save a kingdom. It has dice for your wife to toss around, it isn't insanely hard but it still has some challenge. Really simple rules too. It is a really fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Woehrle
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Douglas! I'm glad you and your wife are enjoying your game of Pandemic: Legacy. With that in mind is it safe to assume you both enjoy narrative in games? Assuming this is the case, I definitely suggest Arkham Horror LCG. It is a fantastic narrative experience, although your concern about the value for money is valid. If having to buy expansion content to keep it fresh is a deal breaker then stay away from this one.

LOTR card game and Eldritch Horror are both very finicky and I would recommend skipping both altogether.

Elder Sign you might enjoy, although it didn't work for me. If you want to give it a go before buying, check out the app.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND Legends of Andor. It is a great cooperative fantasy adventure, although, I would say that the combat is a good chunk of the game. The game starts with a full tutorial then subtly adds new mechanics in each scenario which makes it easy to learn. Then to top it off, there is no rule book. All the rules are offloaded onto cards that you read as the scenario unfolds.

Here are some other games I recommend for couples that aren't related to your suggestions: Jaipur, Splendor, Lotus, Dominion, Five Tribes, and Onitama. Also you 2 might be interested in some of the escape-room-in-a-box games such as Escape Room: The Game.

I hope this helps!

Jacob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I enjoy Jaipur the best of all 2-player games. And Clank. We adore Clank. But those are not co-op games.

If you can hold out for a month or so, our new game Deadline will be available. It plays very well with 2 and is a co-op of a different sort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cakej7 wrote:

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND Legends of Andor. It is a great cooperative fantasy adventure, although, I would say that the combat is a good chunk of the game.

Combat is important, but more important is choosing which combats to avoid (if you kill too many creatures you loose the game very quickly, as each kill reduces the number of rounds you have left in the game) and in some scenarios building up enough strength and resources for one big final battle. It is not just a "slay anything in sight", it's mainly a big puzzle (like PL).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Scinocca
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent 2nd Edition using the Road to Legend app could be pretty cool. Kind of a legacy like story driven game where you could each take control of couple of heros

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Ladd
msg tools
adamw wrote:
My wife and I enjoy Jaipur the best of all 2-player games. And Clank. We adore Clank. But those are not co-op games.

If you can hold out for a month or so, our new game Deadline will be available. It plays very well with 2 and is a co-op of a different sort.

I keep looking at Jaipur and Clank. I like Jaipur, played it online quite a bit. Mechanically very tight. I think I could get Clank to the table with my 10 year old too, bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Ladd
msg tools
I'M seeing a pretty nice response to Legends of Andor! I think she would really enjoy the narrative and theme. I actually own Mice & Mystics and it did cross my mind. Actually got it for my boys, but it runs too long for them. She might like that.
I think I might also pull the trigger on Beyond Baker Street, I had looked at this one, does look cool.
So many good suggestions here! Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
d_ladd wrote:
I'M seeing a pretty nice response to Legends of Andor! I think she would really enjoy the narrative and theme.

Just know going in that Andor is very much a euro. That is, while it's not especially heavy, it is thinky. When playing solo, I sometimes ponder my next move for 5 or 10 minutes. When playing in a group, it doesn't bog down like that, but we often discuss strategies for a few minutes at a time.

Combat is important, but you're probably only going to have about 5 fights per game, and each is resolved by 1-3 rounds of die rolls.

Andor is one of my favorites, but my wife isn't a huge fan, for 2 reasons:

1. She prefers to play games more intuitively, and doesn't appreciate the detailed long-term planning that Andor demands. She is a tactical player, where Andor is more of a strategic game.

2. You'll probably lose most scenarios the first time you play, and it will often seem like there is no possible way you could have won. With more thought, and/or another play, it usually becomes clear how you might win (whether or not you actually do). My wife doesn't enjoy that feeling of hopelessness, and has ended up associating Andor with "can't win", even though we have won at least once in each scenario (that we have played so far).

Andor doesn't have simple difficulty level adjustments that many co-ops do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
d_ladd wrote:
I'M seeing a pretty nice response to Legends of Andor! I think she would really enjoy the narrative and theme.

Just know going in that Andor is very much a euro. That is, while it's not especially heavy, it is thinky. When playing solo, I sometimes ponder my next move for 5 or 10 minutes. When playing in a group, it doesn't bog down like that, but we often discuss strategies for a few minutes at a time.

Combat is important, but you're probably only going to have about 5 fights per game, and each is resolved by 1-3 rounds of die rolls.

1. She prefers to play games more intuitively, and doesn't appreciate the detailed long-term planning that Andor demands. She is a tactical player, where Andor is more of a strategic game.

2. You'll probably lose most scenarios the first time you play, and it will often seem like there is no possible way you could have won. With more thought, and/or another play, it usually becomes clear how you might win (whether or not you actually do). My wife doesn't enjoy that feeling of hopelessness, and has ended up associating Andor with "can't win", even though we have won at least once in each scenario (that we have played so far).

But they liked PL, which is also very thinky

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wolkey
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:
I also enjoyed PL with my wife. Havnt found the answer to your question yet.
But I love Andor. My wife does NOT like the LOTR fantasy like setting, so I'm playing this with some friends, but if your wife does like it, this would be a very good option.
Plays fine with two (both players csn choose to control two characters, which I would opt for, or you can both just play one).
Between the basic box and the small expansion Legends of Andor: The Star Shield I have spent more time playing Andor, than playing PL. There are a couple of free online print and play scenarios, which expand the life of the basic game further.
And we still love it, and recently got the first big expansion Legends of Andor: Journey to the North for my birthday. Played the first scenario of that and still loving it.

+1 to everything said here.

Also, check out Rahdo's review site. He plays many games 2 player with his wife, so his ratings are based on that.mm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Fillingham
msg tools
mbmb
I adore Elder Sign -- it is one of my top five games (of course, that list is about 10 games long).

I do recommend watching a play through video just to see if it looks like something you would enjoy, but I really enjoy it and the cooperative nature works very well in that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aeon's End. It has monsters, it's boss fights, it's hard and it's fun.

And the box is oozing content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Ladd
msg tools
Olafslomp wrote:
peakhope wrote:
d_ladd wrote:

My wife likes euros/blends I think even though lighter in fare. Takenoko, Steam Park and Stone Age are her favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Scinocca wrote:
Descent 2nd Edition using the Road to Legend app could be pretty cool. Kind of a legacy like story driven game where you could each take control of couple of heros

Just for the sake of terminology, Descent 2nd ed is a Campaign game. Legacy is still fresh so it's still being used for the wrong games sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Olafslomp wrote:

I rate Andor as thinkier than PL. I played through all of PL and found it to be the same weight as pandemic + on the brink.

YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Jacobs
Canada
Yellowknife
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
mbmb
I too, love gaming and playing co-op with my wife.

Arkham Horror- I own this game and have played this game with my wife, the board game is rules intensive and you are looking for a 3 - 4 hour game with 45 minutes to set the game up. However, if you like the idea of the game, I could suggest "The Card Game" version. We like playing this game, a bit easier to set up, still rule intensive and can be very confusing first time through, but it is worth it.

Eldritch Horror - Similar look and feel to Arkham Horror, in my opinion a bit better for playability as it takes place globally and some of the rules that bog down Arkham have been streamlined, making a better play experience in my view.

Zombicide - this game is a riot, quick to set up, plenty of scenarios, lots of fan stuff out there. I prefer the Black Plague version, both games are similar I think Black Plague has a slightly better rule set then the original game, but depending if you like chain saws or cross bows pick your flavor.

Forbidden Desert/Forbidden Island - good choices, easy to play and unlike the above games don't hurt the wallet quite as much.

My wife and I also enjoy a few competitive games such as Jaipur, Catan Rivals and 7 Wonders Duel, all great fun games for two players. I actually prefer Catan Rivals over the original Catan. Also for fun Carcassonne is a good choice for a gaming night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror LCG is amazing and provides a surprising amount of replayability. Yes, it's not much with just the base game, but even so the multiple outcomes to the scenarios mean you can try to improve your performance the second time through. The Dunwich Legacy scenarios are also just variable enough as standalone encounters that you don't know each time what arrangement you're facing going in. I'm not a Cthulhu fan and this game blew me away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bianca Summers
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
mournful wrote:
Just for the sake of terminology, Descent 2nd ed is a Campaign game. Legacy is still fresh so it's still being used for the wrong games sometimes.

I'm still a newbie when it comes to terminology. What is the difference between a legacy game and a campaign game?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.