Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NEXT SESSION : Wednesday May 17, 2017.
GAMES : There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? Gaming starts at 5 pm and goes until 10
COST: FREE!!
PARKING : Kent and Somerset have parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even with the Sens big game and a beautiful preview of summer nights we had a nice group at the Legion.

My kickstarter copy of Yokohama came in last Wednesday and I learned the rules over the weekend and was looking forward to getting a first play of it. I taught Patrick, Wendy, and Alain and we dove into the game. It looks like a glorious mess on the table but it has a pretty easy rule set. It has a spatial element like Istanbul but felt much more like an engine building. I spent much of the first chunk of the game getting shops and assistants out of my warehouse to set up for some big power actions, collecting the 5-power bonuses available in each space. Alain jumped out to an early lead by visiting the customs house and placing his shops for VPs. He held a cash lead for most of the game and was the only one to claim the 10 coin achievement. Patrick lagged far behind on points early in the game, was the first to claim the 7 tea achievement, collected lots of technology and at games end held the majority in the Church and took the top spot in technology. Wendy had a ton of goods throughout the game, blocked Patrick many times and scored lots of orders but had no technologies. The two early technologies I got pushed me towards fulfilling orders. I was fortunate to get ones that gave me imports as a reward and had a diverse array of flags. This allowed me to score big in the customs house and earn lots of endgame points for trading partner diversity. In the end I won by a pretty wide margin with the other three bunched tightly. There is definitely a lot more going on here than in Istanbul with some nice engine building and, I think, a lot more potential for blocking.

Next, Patrick taught Wendy and me Kingdomino, a very accessible tile laying game. There were some nice choices in it and a couple of groans as others took the exact tile you wanted. Patrick won the game by a sizeable margin with me and Wendy finishing within a point of each other. I think I prefer Limes as a tile laying game in this style for the scoring choices but I like Kingdomino for it's light player interaction.

Other games I saw played included Acquire, 7 Wonders Duel, Cyclades and Saint Petersburg (second edition).

Have a great week. I hope to see you all next week (and at Cangames this weekend).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh, I was unable to make it and missed Yokohama. I definitely want to try that one - it sounds like fun. Glad you got it played!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.