Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul C
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't find any clarification on this, so my thematically-based interpretations of the rules are:

Being invisible does NOT avoid the results of a psychic broadcast such as Mind Control;

Being invisible DOES avoid Sentinel-induced panic, because you know it can't physically harm you. (Though this does assume that you aren't concerned too much for the fate of any fellow Rocketeers present.)

...but I'm not confident that's correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The thematic interpretations make sense, but speaking from experience, that doesn't mean they are necessarily correct.
For reference, what does the Invisibility Device text say? I don't remember that one particularly well. But, for example, if it says something like "Cannot be attacked", or other application of the keyword "attack", your interpretation is probably backwards: Panic from the Sentinel is not an attack, but Mind Control from the Brain-in-a-Jar is an attack.
On the other hand, if it references "damage" then that is specific to HP, and you aren't spared from Mind Control OR Panic.

Edit: On the other, other hand, if the text says something like "Cannot be the target of an alien attack" or "cannot be targeted by an alien attack", I don't believe the Invisibility Device will help you with either of those effects, since Sentinel Panic is not an attack, and the Mind Control is an "automatic" attack, and not a targeted attack; the device you want is the Mentality Helmet, which protects you from Panic and Mind Control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an interesting question. The rules for the Invisibility Device say this: "During the Alien turn, all Aliens completely ignore the Rocketeer".

I take that to mean that an Alien won't move or attack because an invisible Rocketeer is there, but no physical protection is provided. That being so, if another Rocketeer who is nearby triggers a non-aimed attack, the invisible Rocketeer could suffer collateral damage. Given that, I deal with each attack type exactly as written.

The rules say that when a Sentinel enters a tile with any Rocketeers, all Rocketeers on that tile suffer the Panic combat effect. My guess is that if a Sentinel entered a hex with two Rocketeers, one visible and one invisible, Panic would hit them both, but if the invisible Rocketeer was there alone no Panic would trigger. In other words, I'd treat Panic as an attack which the Sentinel wouldn't execute, but I could see it either way.

I'm looking forward to hearing the official word from Dan or Al.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Invisibility Device protects a Rocketeer from all adverse alien effects.

Explanation (Justification? Rationalization?):
If you are invisible when the Sentinel charges into your chamber, you do not panic because he's simply less frightening to you. The Brain's Mind Control broadcast doesn't effect you because the Brain doesn't know you're there.

It's possible that the Invisibility from the Device includes the little-studied phenomenon of psychic invisibility... so you'll have that going for you if you manage to assemble this schematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul C
England
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your swift clarification, Dan.

Nice rationale for keeping things simple!

(Edit- on further consideration, I actually prefer this concept of invisibility in general- that is, light particles still interact with the "invisible" object as normal, but sentient beings have their minds disrupted so they can no longer perceive it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.