Hide
3 Posts

Dark Souls: The Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Room Event / Environment Cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Hinchliffe
msg tools
So, played through this quite few times now. Done couple of Solo Sessions and couple of 4 player sessions, completed both the campaigns, which were great fun!

Now, what I think this game is really lacking is a sense of room variety.

In the video games you often come across a room / area that will have effects, such as slowing down movement or doing poison damage etc.

There is non of this in the board game, which I think would help mix up the combat and add variety to the rooms.

Me and my friends are going to come up with some Room Environment Cards. You would draw these and place them face down as you do with the encounter cards. Then as you turn over the encounter you do the same with the Environment card and it sticks with that room.

We also feel trap activation could be included in these cards as right now traps are pretty pointless. In all the games we've played we have not activated a single one!

Couple of ideas so far:

Poison - Room floor in sludge dealing 1 poison damage each player turn.
Cursed - Room is cursed, all enemies have +1 health
Enchanted - Room is enchanted, all player magic attacks do half damage.
Water lodged - Room floor is covered in deep water, all movement cost +1 stamina.
Blank - Room is normal
Trap - Take a random trap token and choose a player to resolve it.
Traps - Take a random trap token and resolve it at the start of each players turn once.

So just seeing if anyone else thinks this is a good idea? If so once we have them together I will post up a PDF of the cards so people can print them out and give them a whirl.

Or if you have any ideas for additional cards that would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Brennan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Eternally
badge
Deluded
mbmbmbmbmb
RE poison, that might be a bit overpowered if there's no way to dodge it. A variation on that could be a sort of 'toxic' effect, where you gain a toxic token each turn you remain in the room. When you build up to 3 tokens, THEN you start taking 1 damage every turn. This prioritises quick thinking and clearing the room as quickly as possible, perhaps making a slightly reckless charge in order to avoid proc'ing the effect.

I find traps sometimes come into their own when you have more players as often you have a choice when pushed of moving into a 'safe' node that is potentially trapped or moving into an empty node that means taking more hits. I do however agree about more environmental tokens. Something like Firebomb Hollows coming with a fire token that gets placed on whatever node they attack. This token would then wound people who move into that node until the hollow's next activation or something like that, to keep dynamically blocking off sections of the battlefield.

The trouble is trying to think of situations where hazards will move around the battlefield to keep things fresh, as having them plonked on the same nodes in a static manor might just end up with people ignoring that node as we do with barrels/chests. If node effects changed turn-by-turn however, it would make you think and present you with a different challenge at different points throughout the same fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hinchliffe
msg tools
Yeah true, poison one is a little overpowered. Will test out different amounts of tokens to see what works best.

Yeah I was thinking about cards which essential are just traps, so instead of tokens for traps, you draw a trap card which has some conditions on it and also perhaps movement.

So for example, a swinging Blade could move across the room by moving from one node to the next each player turn. This way players would have to avoid going into the next node it would move into.

Same could be done for traps arrows which would fire across the room.

I don't think I've ever encountered a situation were moving onto a trap was a better option than a blank node.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.