Subject: Looking for games best for three players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
János Hunyadi
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Can you recommend some games that are best with three players (may be limited to three or not, doesn't matter)?

In terms of depths of game and complexity, I'd like options between Black Fleet and Race for the Galaxy, so between 2 and 3 or thereabouts, and preferably three hours tops in terms of game length. Of course if you think you have an absolute killer game that falls outside that band and isn't super heavy or ultra-right, I'm more than ever to consider those too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
San Marco is best with three -- it is a "you-divide; I choose" game combined with an area-control scoring mechanism similar to El Grande. It can be played with 4, but plays best with 3. (Weight 2.68, nominal playing time 90 minutes.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

3.2 complexity, 4hrs (more for the first few plays)

3.5, 3 to 4 hours.

...are both designed for three players. More complicated than Race for the Galaxy, for sure, but both provide a much deeper game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lewis & Clark is a wonderful game that BGG has voted is best with 3 (and I'd agree with that, though it's also good with 2 and really fun solo as well). It's a race game, but in a historical context and very euro. Includes mini deck-building, worker placement (with shared workers, which is novel), and resources/resource upgrading. It's the best game I've played to date that marries mechanics with theme in a meaningful way.

Another fun game that I think is best with 3 (BGG voters say best with 2) that you can get really cheap is Dos Rios. It definitely has a runaway leader problem, but moving the river around is fun and a unique concept in terms of game play. With 2, the runaway leader is a big issue, but with 3 you can do a bit of bash the leader to try to keep it in check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Pierce
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Kingdoms Redux has just been reprinted and is dedicated for 3 players. It sounds like this may be a bit too heavy for what you are looking for though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Biensan
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The King Is Dead, tight and streamlined almost-abstract strategy game, best with 3, 30 to 50 minutes, rated 2.58 for complexity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Helton
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:

3.2 complexity, 4hrs (more for the first few plays)

I too HIGHLY recommend Triumph & Tragedy, (one of my favorite games, especially for three players, as it is designed for three players).
(As noted though, it might not fit your three hour time limit, especially for the first few games.)

Another good game would be Eclipse, especially with the Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients expansion, as that helps to mitigate the missile issue a bit.

Another of my favorite games.
And this one will play in the three hour time limit, especially for three players.
(Note: the base game will accommodate up to six players, and with the expansion, up to nine players.)

Good Luck in your search!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Sequence is a quick and simple card/board game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PJ Cunningham
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony Ackroyd produces a wonderful geeklist called How Many Players?, and on it you'll find a list of Best With 3 games broken out by weight and rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
János Hunyadi
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ironregime wrote:
Tony Ackroyd produces a wonderful geeklist called How Many Players?, and on it you'll find a list of Best With 3 games broken out by weight and rank.

Thanks! I was searching the lists, but I couldn't find this one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bern Harkins
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Island Dice has become our go-to game for three. It scales beautifully from 2 to 4 players, and features a modest rules set that generates complex tactical situations.

Plus, it is hilarious... (I reviewed it here..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Lanzoni
Italy
Villa Poma
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to take a look to this comprehensive list: How Many Players? Play This..... (2017 Edition)

My personal best for three are:
- Tiny Epic Galaxies
- Specter Ops
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries is specifically for 2 or 3 players. Concordia: Britannia / Germania with the Britannia map (+ base game Concordia) is great for 3, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Ascendancy is a 3-player only game and I've read mostly great things about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
God's Playground is specifically meant to be played by three players. It's a good game but not easy to get in to. Besides that it's OOP and hard to get.

Edit: image
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Ackerman
United States
Stevenson Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three Kingdoms Redux is really tough to beat for a mid-heavy game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/145371/three-kingdoms-re...

It's a real hidden gem that I wish more people knew about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
János Hunyadi
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
caedium wrote:
You might want to take a look to this comprehensive list: How Many Players? Play This..... (2017 Edition)

My personal best for three are:
- Tiny Epic Galaxies
- Specter Ops

Yeah, I am eyeing Specter Ops, though as many people who seem to really love it, there are those who even liked hidden movement games but really dislike for various reasons (not enough "hard" deduction, or some such objections). What's you 250 word take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
János Hunyadi
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rutherford82 wrote:
Three Kingdoms Redux is really tough to beat for a mid-heavy game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/145371/three-kingdoms-re...

It's a real hidden gem that I wish more people knew about.

It looks interesting, but quite heavy for my crowd. I'd love to try it, but I can just about get Race for the Galaxy to be played, this would be; while this would be (based on component count alone) a bridge too far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo B.
Italy
Genova
flag msg tools
All right. Then, fine. The title is "Cheese Song". Eh-hem. Hn... Here I go:
badge
Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Rella Rella Rella Rella~ ♪ Pizza mozzarella~ ♪
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the Old World
Forbidden Stars
Infamy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Vikings Gone Wild is best with 3 players IMO, so if you're looking for a silly deckbuilding game you might be glad to attack your viking neighbours

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mitchell
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haggis is excellent with 2 and very good with 3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Trieste is a 3-player only game that is excellent over repeated plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam M

Coon Rapids
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Elder Sign, Splendor and The Castles of Burgundy all play very well at 2 or 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm loving all the excellent suggestions that are WAY heavier than OP wants, and also exactly 3p despite that not mattering. With that in mind Churchill is pretty brilliant.

Ultimately though, this is a pretty poor question. The only meaningful restriction is your player count. That's NOT enough for a recommendation question, hence all the wildly different suggestions. Find a good game THEN see if it's voted as being good with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sail to India weighs in at 2.20 and plays in about an hour. It can be had for ten or fifteen bucks and comes in atiny box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.