Kevin
United States
Martville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings all!

After this thread, I've gotten a BGG user tournament ready to go over at chess.com.

Some points -
It is free at that website, unless you want to join multiple user created tournaments at once
ALL skill levels invited, I'm not very good, but I enjoy the game.
The games would be asynch (correspondence chess), with a 3 day window on moves. We discussed the ups and downs of this in the above thread, in the end there will be some people that don't like it no matter how it is run. If this website, or correspondence chess is not for you, then it is easy to avoid!
The biggest concern was with cheating, with a three day limit you have time to plug a position into a computer program and win. I'm hoping for honorable non-cheating BGG'ers, which I assume is most of us.
HAVE FUN! The prize is a crappy jpeg of a meeple, let's not get angry here. I hope to run subsequent tournaments if it is successful, we will consider what works and does not work on the next run.
E TO JOIN - GeekMail me here with your chess.com username, and I'll invite you over there.

I'm hoping to get to at least 10 so we have two full groups, after that the more the merrier. Once some users start rolling in we will pick a start date, hopefully in a week or so.

Post questions! Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Martville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tournament will be starting soon, tune in over at chess.com soon if you are in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
East Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry about the cheating too much. Chess.com has a number of (undisclosed) methods to detect when someone is relying on an engine to calculate moves. Also note that since this tournament falls into the "correspondence chess" category, that does allow people to research and consult book openings while playing.

Sadly, I won't be able to join in. I gave up chess a while ago, after I realized my obsession with it was sucking up too much time. Hope the tournament goes well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine most of the folks here are familiar, but for anyone who's not aware there's a chess.com app that works pretty well. It usually gives me a notification when it's my move but sometimes doesn't, so I also recommend checking the app every day or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.