Brian Scott
United States
Randolph
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Always ask yourself, "What would Joan of Arc do?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Errata

One of the bullet points in 17.0 Night Turns says "The Japanese Player may perform Infiltration (see 8.6)". But 8.6 is Opportunity Fire - I believe this should say "see 6.1.3", which does cover Infiltration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Mortell
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
bnscott wrote:

One of the bullet points in 17.0 Night Turns says "The Japanese Player may perform Infiltration (see 8.6)". But 8.6 is Opportunity Fire - I believe this should say "see 6.1.3", which does cover Infiltration.

You are correct Brian - sorry about that.

I have added it to the FAQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have started the campaign game and am enjoying it so far. Those beach landings are brutal. I did notice that in the rules a slope is described as having a LOS blocking effect much like a steep slope (firer or target must be adjacent). However, on the TEC player aid card a slope is shown as not a blocking terrain (whereas the steep slope is described as above). I assume the rulebook is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook is indeed correct...and the TEC is incorrect.

Sorry about that. I have a new errata sheet coming up soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schultz
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Some critiques of this rule section.

--
8.3 Fire Rating Modifiers
Remember to always modify the Firing Unit's Fire value and never the Die Roll itself. Note that subtractions are always good for the defense while additions are bad for the defense. If you add a negative number, you will be subtracting from the value and if you are subtracting a negative number, you are adding to the value.

a) Add or subtract the defense...
b) Add or subtract any eligible ...
c) Add or subtract any Status ...
d) Add ...
e) Add or subtract the target ...
f) Add +1 to the Firing ...
g) Subtract the Rain Modifier (-1), and the Night Modifier( -1 or -2) if applicable...

--
All this text to say the Fire Rating may be modified, that subtraction is good for the defense, addition is bad for the defense, and you apparently have a choice to add or subtract the positive or negative number. So if you are the defender, you should always subtract the modifiers because subtraction is good for the defender. But if the modifier is negative then you are adding when you subtract. Night and rain have negative modifiers. Night and rain would seem to help the defense, but since the attacker is trying to roll low (stated in 8.2), night and rain makes you an easier target? This of course is wrong, but the rules seem to say otherwise, since surely the writers wouldn't have 4 inches of text spelling out that the Fire Rating may be modified based on the situation.

Thankfully, the text that finishes section 8.3 is clear and consistent.

This is just a maddening piece of text that I would love to see fixed for future versions of the rules.

I would replace those 4 inches with :

"Remember to always modify the Firing Unit's Fire value and never the Die Roll itself."
Note that the Firing Unit wants to have a high Fire Rating and the defender wants the Firing Unit to have a low Fire Rating. Positive modifiers benefit the Firing Unit, and negative modifiers benefit the defender.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you, Andrew...I think I've fixed it in Guam and Montelimar but different people read these differently...hard to get it right for everyone. Your general comment at the end (just so everyone understands what is going on and can extrapolate) is a good one though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.