Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I'm looking at grabbing a German/French/Polish/Hungarian printing and pasting on translations. I see that at least the German and French printings have an expansion available, and maybe the others as well.

My questions:

1. All of these printings use the Klemens Franz art, is that right?

2. What is in the expansion box? Best I can tell, it includes the Republic version materials and maybe also the BGG expansion buildings. Not sure.

3. So what is included in the base box? Is it just all of the Imperium material and nothing more?

4. Does anyone know card size/sleeve type for any of these editions?

5. Bonus Question: If the base game is just the Imperium version, should I even bother with the expansion?

I appreciate any advice anyone can offer on any of these matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped playing with the BGG expansion as they have stated they were not play tested and there are a couple of cards that really know the fun out of this game (IMHO)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not wanting to skew my results, but if I determine that the foreign expansion box only has the BGG expansion, then I will not get it.

If it has Republic content as well, I'm not sure. Might be good to have the option.

If I'm way off base and Republic is all that is in the base boxes and Imperium is what's in the expansion box, then I'll want it for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Bueschel
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am not mistaken I do not think the Republic and Imperium are expansions I think they are two different ways to play the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct, but they use a few different cards as well. I'm just not sure which cards are in the main game box (or both) and which is in the expansion (or neither), in these foreign editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiyum wrote:
Hello all,

I'm looking at grabbing a German/French/Polish/Hungarian printing and pasting on translations. I see that at least the German and French printings have an expansion available, and maybe the others as well.

My questions:

Don't know

Wiyum wrote:
2. What is in the expansion box? Best I can tell, it includes the Republic version materials and maybe also the BGG expansion buildings. Not sure.

It has:
1) Actual cards for use in Republic edition. With the CGF I.V edition (aka "ugly art" edition), you would mentally substitute Circus to be "Architect can be any role", and Forum to also require 1 of each role. Now, this game actually includes the replacement cards when playing with Republic rules (so in the previous example, Circus got replaced with Senate.. I think? And Forum got replaced with Forum Romana)

Also, a reference board for the differences between the 2 (Petition 3 vs. 2 cards, etc.)

2) new cards/new buildings. E.g. Castra, or Plebian Council. IIRC, you add these to the standard deck

Wiyum wrote:
3. So what is included in the base box? Is it just all of the Imperium material and nothing more?
Dunno. I'm only experienced with the CGF/I.V/ugly art edition (which only included Imperium), and the Black Box which AFAIK included both Republic and Imperium. (It's been so long, I don't remember if this was an extra option ticked off during the ks campaign).

Wiyum wrote:
Nope. Sorry! May want to check May Day's site to see if they have it listed there.
If you're not a fan of their products, nothing's stopping you from checking out the sizes, and buying a different brand of card sleeve.

Wiyum wrote:
5. Bonus Question: If the base game is just the Imperium version, should I even bother with the expansion?

TL;DR Expansion cards are nice, but not really necessary. As I pointed out in #2 above, there are workarounds to not having the actual Republic cards, but even then, I personally could never go back to Republic rules, so the point would be moot anyways.

I'm a person who majority of the time ALWAYS prefers expansions. They by nature are harder to get played (since it's more money spent, and you usually need to ramp people up to be familiar enough with the game first). However, GtR is the exception than the norm. I won't feel sad if we just play base game. (as a bonus, I'm still not quite sure how some of the corner case rulings would work, some of them do seem more OP-ed, and as another poster pointed out I do recall hearing they didn't get the same loving tender play testing care as the base game itself).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Gugenheim
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, my answer for the french edition I own by filosofia:
Wiyum wrote:

Yes
Wiyum wrote:

All expansions are included if you purchase the french expansion box.
Wiyum wrote:

The base game with alternative cards for Forum and Circus
Wiyum wrote:

Classic magic card sleeves, Edit: check on the dedicated pages https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164572/card-sleeve-sizes-...?
Wiyum wrote:

I appreciate any advice anyone can offer on any of these matters.

Yes you should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Beckley
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Dan! Just what I was looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.