Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem» Forums » General

Subject: 5, 6 player games....worth it? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Chile
Chile
flag msg tools
Hi,
I've been playing this lately and I'm very close to ordering the 2 expansions. But I have read in these forums that some people find the 4 player game is the best experience and other people saying that 5 and 6 is more tight and more engaging.
What are your experiences with this game and expansions?
If you have played the expansions, do you prefer to play with more players or the 4 player game is more balanced?
Waiting your answers before buying anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more players the better, I'd say. It's not an AP-prone game so downtime is small, and there's lots of deals to be made too. There's a lot more opportunity to gang up on the leader (if you know who they are, of course) and it can get a little chaotic, but it's good fun. Admittedly, I've only ever played 5-player once, so take that as you will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the expansions regardless. Even if you don't find the higher player games to be fun you still get the added variety of gang choice. So your 4 player games can benefit from the different dynamics of gang combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
darkranex wrote:
Get the expansions regardless. Even if you don't find the higher player games to be fun you still get the added variety of gang choice. So your 4 player games can benefit from the different dynamics of gang combinations.

I am looking forward to the answers you'll get but I echo the sentiment above. It's a great game and likely soon these expansions will be out of print and difficult to track down for a fair price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too many people concentrate on the number of players. You can still play four players with six gangs to choose from - each having their own strengths and weaknesses, as opposed to just the original four. If money is no object, go for six.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
SON OF A BITCH MUST PAY
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came here to echo the sentiments already expressed by a few other people.

Get the expansions if you can, regardless of the number of players you have. The new gangs bring some very different abilities to the table and are totally worth getting.

Also I've played a lot of this game with various player counts and can definitely say that 6 players is fine - the main difference between 4 and 6 players is that with 6 players you need to be even more on top of your negotiation game because things start to kick off right from the start due to there not being any extra available locations at the start of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do prefer the 5 and 6 player game if time is of no concern. You get more wheeling and dealing, many more backstabbings and double-crosses, and generally more interesting dynamics. Unfortunately, it takes us around 3 hours at those counts, so we typically play just 4 players.

Expansion are good anyway though as others have stated, the new gangs are interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cabral
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the expansions to get the variety of different gangs and more money.

I played one game at 5 players and it was a blast. Other games were at 4 players and were still good but we didn't have as many throwdowns and back and forth banter as we did at 5 players. Could have been the alcohol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Helderman
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly! Get it now before they are gone! And the price on Amazon is too good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Helderman
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darkranex wrote:

This is exactly right! Can't go wrong with more variety!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hsu
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to sum up a 6 player game... the first round you're already making enemies as there are not enough locations. Negotiations and alliances also start immediately too (compared to a 4 player game). It also take a bit longer if you and your friends are heavy negotiators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.