Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the last few days I have been looking over the forty or so issues of the General that I had tucked away into a bin. I had been mainly digging through them to try to find some long forgotten variants for History of the World which my wife and I love to play but we can't seem to find another person to play with shake

In the process, I have gone through every issue I have and had some general (no pun intended ) questions/musings about some of the things I have found.

1. The 15th AF and Lancaster variants for B-17: Queen of the Skies. Are they worth giving a go? I seem to vague remember trying 15 AF but I had never heard of the Lancaster before.

2. I have the Silesian War variants for Frederick the Great but that game is so tough to play solo. I have toyed with a chit pull system to activate each side and maybe even a siege resolution system similar to Thirty Years War: Europe in Agony, 1618-1648. Do either of those sound feasible?

3. I used to own Hitler's War but gave it away about 12 years ago to a kid in the strategy club I sponsored (I can still see his face just light up when he realized what was happening ). I have Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe which I really like and I'm just waiting for the mounted map board to really tear into it. But would Hitler's War be worth getting when I have that WWII grand strategy itch and just want something fast and furious?

4. Has anyone ever tried Guerilla? Did you like it?

5. Since I am missing gaps in my General collection, is there any issue you fondly remember?

Finally, I just want to give a big shout out to
Jose Ruiz
Puerto Rico
San Juan
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am currently using the latest incarnation of his solo CDG method to play Thirty Years War: Europe in Agony, 1618-1648 and I'm having a blast. I've also really enjoyed all his play through videos. So thanks Stukajoe for all the contributions you make to the wargaming community! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Tim,

catosulla wrote:
1. The 15th AF and Lancaster variants for B-17: Queen of the Skies. Are they worth giving a go? I seem to vague remember trying 15 AF but I had never heard of the Lancaster before.

I never played B-17 so no help there.

catosulla wrote:
2. I have the Silesian War variants for Frederick the Great but that game is so tough to play solo. I have toyed with a chit pull system to activate each side and maybe even a siege resolution system similar to Thirty Years War: Europe in Agony, 1618-1648. Do either of those sound feasible?

For Frederick the Great, trying to re-do the rules to that extent sounds like a lot of work with a questionable payout. I did play Freddy solo a few times back in the day and the way I went about it was to look at the situation from each side in turn and come up with 2-3 possible ways to proceed. I'd then assign weighted probabilities, based on what looked most promising, and let the dice gods decide which way to go. That made for an interesting and entertaining game, and led me to consider alternative lines that I might have overlooked otherwise.

catosulla wrote:
3. I used to own Hitler's War but gave it away about 12 years ago to a kid in the strategy club I sponsored (I can still see his face just light up when he realized what was happening ). I have Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe which I really like and I'm just waiting for the mounted map board to really tear into it. But would Hitler's War be worth getting when I have that WWII grand strategy itch and just want something fast and furious?

I think Hitler's War is a very good choice if you're looking for fast and furious. The different scenarios give you good options for player count, but also length and complexity as well.

catosulla wrote:
4. Has anyone ever tried Guerilla? Did you like it?

I owned Guerilla and played it a couple of times, but it never lit a spark. For something in that vein I'd rather play Warfighter.

catosulla wrote:
5. Since I am missing gaps in my General collection, is there any issue you fondly remember?

Probably the ones with Viipuri Defense for Russian Campaign, because those led to many years of happy wargaming with Dick Jarvinen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:

I recall trying a couple of variants for B17, but don't recall which ones. I DO remember that I didn't like them and went back to playing the original way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
But would Hitler's War be worth getting when I have that WWII grand strategy itch and just want something fast and furious?

Hello Tim,

I own Hitler's War and live in Richmond. I would be willing to let you have it - not sure it would be worth any of the items you currently have for trade

GM if interested and we can work out the drop details.
Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Guerilla

I still own and still like Guerilla. For a while, it was a go-to game in our local group. And I've played it at the World Boardgaming Championships.

It was a spiritual predecessor to Atlantic Storm and Pacific Typhoon. On any turn, you might be the Good Guy (government) or Bad Guy (rebels), depending on your cards. Then it added in a kinda funky mechanism for final scoring. Each player is assigned a faction at the beginning of the game (government, rebel, or 'neutral). You can get points during the game for either side. But if your assigned faction doesn't win by enough, another faction wins. So you might want the government to win, but you get a bunch of good rebel cards. Caught between a rock and a hard place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, the memory of playing B-17 with the 15th AF variant at a convention! From Italy you are of course flying over the Alps, with a chance (I don't recall the exact odds, but it was fairly remote) of a crash. Much to the GM's consternation almost half the players, including yours truly, experienced the loving embrace of cold granite. Just five minutes into the game I was already gathering up the pieces and saying "Nice playing with you guys".

My repurchase of Hitler's War about a year ago is my sad answer to the question of whether I ever again will own a table large enough to play Totaler Krieg. Rather luck-dependent, especially in the R&D, but better than nothing for that European theater itch.

My own joint favorite General issues would have to be the Patton's Best issue which featured an article giving greater details of all the Sherman sub-models depicted in the game and the Merchant Of Venus issue including the quick setup rules which most players of my acquaintance very much prefer to those in the game--
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davepanzer wrote:

My own joint favorite General issues would have to be the Patton's Best issue which featured an article giving greater details of all the Sherman sub-models depicted in the game

Me too. I just reread that one about a month ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Schmittgens
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. You got me. I'll have to pull out my copies and start looking through them. I think I started around volume 7 until it. . .went away. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Procyk
Canada
Ottawa (Orléans)
Ontario
flag msg tools
Gaps can be overcome.

There was an old BGG thread that pointed out a web site where pretty much all the General Magazines had been scanned and archived.

A quick Google search found it. Check out the following url.

https://archive.org/details/general_magazine?sort=-date

As for History of the World variants the only one that I can remember is one that allows you to add a seventh player. This uses the Sumerians white minor empire card which normally the player drawing first plays before drawing epoch cards.

Not sure how useful that is you are having problems finding a third player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Guerilla, but have never played it. Seems like Bang! Combined with Naval War.

So many great issues. So many dreadful, terrible ones as well, in my early days of subscribership. The Magic Realm issue was always a favorite. I love the 1830 issue, with the in-depth discussion of the game's development.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Laurio
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brozo wrote:
There was an old BGG thread that pointed out a web site where pretty much all the General Magazines had been scanned and archived.

Not sure if you can download the issues from there. If anyone would want to do that, you can also find them all from View from the Trenches site:

http://www.vftt.co.uk/ah_mags.asp?ProdID=PDF_Gen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
norev wrote:
brozo wrote:

Not sure if you can download the issues from there. If anyone would want to do that, you can also find them all from View from the Trenches site:

http://www.vftt.co.uk/ah_mags.asp?ProdID=PDF_Gen

You could download from archive.org as of two weeks ago, when I used it to fill the holes in my collection (basically, everything before 1978).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
Guerilla is a great game...BGG play aid is needed to decipher the rules but with 5 players it is an absolute cracker. (Play while drinking beer and trying dodgy accents)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hassler
United States
Rossmoor
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim,
If you don't mind a slow pace, I run a small gaming zine and among the games I run is History of the World. If you're interested, let me know and I can send you the information.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.