Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Van Dam
United States
Appleton City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thrifted this game having already played it as a kid. I thought it would be a fun party game to bring out every once in a while.

Components
The components are standard for late 80s early 90s games. The cards are of fair quality. The buzzer and timer and card holder were nice.

Experience
This game is a word guessing game like password where certain words cannot be used as clues. With the right group it can be a lot of fun.

Observations
When it fist came out it had a few nice innovations to word guessing games. As time has passed it seems several other games do the same thing better.
I received the game catch phrase decades as a gift, and thrifted the original catch phrase. While these games do not have the "taboo" word mechanism they do fill the same word guessing space for me. They are more fast paced and engaging for my group, so Taboo is leaving my collection.

Final Thoughts
Taboo is a good game that can provide a good amount of fun for the right groups. While it still can compete with many of the other word guessing games, it does get a bit lost among the crowd. If you don't have one of these games, Taboo is one of the good options.

I rate this game a 5

UMCR Reviews Geeklist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Gibson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I am strange, but this is my all-time favorite (and probably most-played) game! I own both taboo and catch phrase and would MUCH rather play Taboo. (I keep catch phrase because it is very portable.) I rate Taboo a 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
I think it's extra fun playing our mid-90s copy of Taboo because there's often so many different word associations now and it makes it easier for me because generally I'm pretty bad at Taboo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Van Dam
United States
Appleton City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J. Gibson, what in particular makes Taboo more appealing for you and your group? Is it the clues, or some game mechanic? I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Wellington
msg tools
mbmb
Taboo is possible my favorite party game. It's the word associations I have with my friends that is the most fun. I guess we have a different way of thinking. The more obscure the clue the better the point! My first time playing this was at a bar when a friend suggested it. She is always super competitive and would just super frustrated at how my other friend and I got our guesses right.

Partner "Wilferd Brimley loves this stuff."

Me "Insulin! No, wait, oatmeal?"

Partner "Correct! Though I'm sure he loves insulin too."

It's also fun to play couples and watch them try and reference thing but just not be on the same page.

Husband "Your sister is obsessed with these."

Wife "Commemerative plates?"

Husband "No not Tammy, your other sister. With the cats."

Wife "Is it cats?"

Husband "No! Remember she kept talking about it during Christmas last year?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.