Popular Tags: [View All]
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

Just wanted to mention I got another article printed in "Strategy & Tactics" magazine, issue 305.

It's short....called "U-Boats in the Far East" as part of their "Did You Know?" section in the back, but basically it talks about all the action in the Pacific and Indian oceans (more than you'd imagine, actually.)

Figured I'd put all the game research to more use than just the game so I wrote the article

Later,
Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds interesting! Any chance they'd give permission to reprint this, or an excerpt, here or in a BGG blog?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey John,
Not sure. I no longer own the rights, as I got my meager remittance from them for having written it. (Trust me, you don't write magazine articles for the money. LOL.)

However, I will ask Joe Miranda, my contact at Strategy&Tactics, if this would be possible. Who knows, stranger things have happened I'm sure

Later,
Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Pacific U-boat activity is very interesting (and little known to most people). The boats did not just operate out of Penang, but also had bases in Java. Some boats even did their refits in mainland Japan.
The might-have-beens are of particular interest. A U-boat base in the Caroline Islands was discussed, but Japanese distrust of German intentions in the Far East scuppered that idea.
The lack of cooperation between the Axis countries played a big part in their downfall. Imagine if there had been large scale U-boat operations out of Truk; it would have wreaked havoc on the US strategy, and possibly have had a big impact on the Pacific War. With the supply lines interdicted, the island-hopping campaign would have been much more costly, and taken a lot longer. Fascinating stuff..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yowee, what an idea ! We visited Truk for Donna's wreck-diving a few years back, and Truk Lagoon would be a really perfect U-boat base !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dudley Albrecht
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
The Japanese had enough submarines of their own to stage an interdiction campaign, but the incredibly misguided IJN doctrine for Submarines forbad it.
The IJN had a horrid blind spot when it came to the importance of merchant shipping in the war. Not only did they not attack Allied Shipping, but they gave anti submarine warfare a low priority that was a massive, perhaps, decisive hand to the US in it's successful war on Japanese Shipping. What Germany wanted to do to England with it's U Boats, the USA succeeded in doing to Japan with it's submarine campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moore
United States
Waynesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dudalb wrote:
The Japanese had enough submarines of their own to stage an interdiction campaign, but the incredibly misguided IJN doctrine for Submarines forbad it.
The IJN had a horrid blind spot when it came to the importance of merchant shipping in the war. Not only did they not attack Allied Shipping, but they gave anti submarine warfare a low priority that was a massive, perhaps, decisive hand to the US in it's successful war on Japanese Shipping. What Germany wanted to do to England with it's U Boats, the USA succeeded in doing to Japan with it's submarine campaign.

Yep. The Japanese strategy of attacking only warships with their boats was extremely outdated. They did some belated interdiction in the Indian Ocean, but that was too little, too late.
And then wasting their sub resources with resupplying bypassed islands was even more foolish than ignoring the Allied merchant fleet. Good boats, with the Long Lance, the finest torpedo in the world, all wasted..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael esposito
United States
morton grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love to see a Japanese submarine version of the system...whistle

That and a modern version.cool

Jim, did you read: "The Japanese Submarine Force and WW2"?

Many instances where the Japanese tried to attack merchants.. some off the West coast. But the skippers were timid and our ASW had improved tremendously by 1943.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.