Subject: Playing Pandemic Legacy with first edition Pandemic board? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steffen Roser
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey,

I was just wondering, if it's possible to use the original (first edition) Pandemic board to play Legacy, so that I can use the Legacy components later to play the normal Pandemic combined with expansions (which I don't own at the moment, because they aren't compatible with the version of the game I have).

I would look at the pictures here myself, but don't wanna risk catching a spoiler; so some help would be definitely appreciated.

PS. I own the German first edition if that's important, but from the pictures the game board seems to be the same as the English first edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Stamp
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The boards aren't identical, there is an extra connection Buenos Aries to Santiago and one less in Asia. It will make a small difference.
The major issue is technically a February spoiler so I will tag it but I'm going to be vague (and some people have worked out this information from the contents of the box before starting):
Spoiler (click to reveal)
there are new events which are directly related to the legacy components so you will need to use the new player deck. Stickers can be added to cards in the player deck which may prevent reuse.

If you want to do this you can look for one of the reset kits here but I think it removes some of the enjoyment of the legacy experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Simple answer: no. It might help to think of Pandemic Legacy as a series of surprise expansions. It would fail to work with a first-edition set for the same reason the second-edition expansions do.

But actually you couldn't even play Pandemic Legacy with a second-edition Pandemic set. The Legacy components have added spaces to stick things on them, write on them, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Roser
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification, guys!
Guess I'll just play Legacy the way it's intended then and will stick to my base game for the future... or maybe I'll buy the Cure in addition to that for a bit more variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Actually, one thing you could do is buy replacement decks for your first-edition Pandemic. You'd still be playing with the old board, but you could use the plastic cubes from Pandemic Legacy, and mix in cards from the expansions without them having different backs.

Unfortunately, that link is to the English cards. And is sold out. But maybe something similar exists and is available for German editions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Roser
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's another option, though I'm not sure we even got the replacement deck. But I just found out, that the first German edition of Pandemic is in pretty high demand. You can sell it used for like 70€. That's not only more than triple the amount I paid back then for a new copy (just checked my amazon account; yes, most board games are ridiculously cheap in Germany compared to the US), it's also almost enough to buy a new copy, the first two expansions AND The Cure (82€ together). I'm seriously considering going that route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler B
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scamander wrote:
That's another option, though I'm not sure we even got the replacement deck. But I just found out, that the first German edition of Pandemic is in pretty high demand. You can sell it used for like 70€. That's not only more than triple the amount I paid back then for a new copy (just checked my amazon account; yes, most board games are ridiculously cheap in Germany compared to the US), it's also almost enough to buy a new copy, the first two expansions AND The Cure (82€ together). I'm seriously considering going that route.

Do it. For me, On The Brink is a must have expansion. I haven't been convinced to buy the others yet so cannot comment on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
scamander wrote:
You can sell it used for like 70€.

Go for it!

But bear in mind that just because you see someone selling it for 70€ that doesn't mean there's anybody buying it for 70€...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, you can probably do the opposite. If you take the city and infection cards from your Legacy copy and get rid of the stickers afterwards, you can put them in your old copy and those should be able to act as a replacement deck that is compatible with the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Hmm. Yes. Point.

It wouldn't quite work, because the characters and events are different in Pandemic Legacy. But if you hid away cards you were told to "destroy", fudged the events a bit and didn't mind having a mixture of first-edition and second-edition character reference cards, that's not too bad.

On the other hand, if you really love the game and funds permit, it might be worth spending the extra 24€ to do things properly!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.