Recommend
10 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Special Prosecutor Appointed for Russia Investigation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rod Rosenstein just appointed Robert Mueller as Special Counsel to take over the Russia investigation.

#1 - It's about damned time.

#2 - It's about damned time.

#3 - Doesn't firing Comey look stupid now?

I think this is the right move. I just wonder how long it will be before Trump tries to fire Mueller, Rosenstein, or both.
19 
 Thumb up
1.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
CNN story here.

Good choice by Rosenstein, given the brickbats that headed his way over the memo.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mueller looks like a slightly younger Lloyd Bentsen !
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Trump
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Regular Investigators are for losers. I got a Special Investigator. I think a Classy Investigator would have been more apple poe, but the haters in Congress just wouldn't let it happen. #DrainTheSwamp
37 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Something wierd in the story. It says he is resigned to avoid conflict of interest. What is that?
3 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Something wierd in the story. It says he is resigned to avoid conflict of interest. What is that?


Law firm he works for also represents....Ivanka and Jared.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Something wierd in the story. It says he is resigned to avoid conflict of interest. What is that?


Law firm he works for also represents....Ivanka and Jared.


So? that's totally fine. It's not like HE's the lawyer for Ivanka or Jared.
2 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
It's fun to see all the Republicans applauding this decision when they all could have asked for a special prosecutor a long time ago, because of the obvious potential for executive interference, but not a single damn one of them did.

Even after the firing of Comey, they were unanimous in saying "Oh if a special prosecutor is needed, we'll support one, but our glacial, blatantly partisan investigations are quite enough, thank you very much".
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
toku42 wrote:
It's fun to see all the Republicans applauding this decision when they all could have asked for a special prosecutor a long time ago, because of the obvious potential for executive interference, but not a single damn one of them did.

Even after the firing of Comey, they were unanimous in saying "Oh if a special prosecutor is needed, we'll support one, but our glacial, blatantly partisan investigations are quite enough, thank you very much".


But they were concerned. Not enough to hold hearings or subpeona anybody though: it's not like this is as serious as Fast & Furious or Benghazi, after all.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
tmcvey wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Something wierd in the story. It says he is resigned to avoid conflict of interest. What is that?


Law firm he works for also represents....Ivanka and Jared.


So? that's totally fine. It's not like HE's the lawyer for Ivanka or Jared.


http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/17/mueller-clients-spe...

WilmerHale is a fairly large firm (one site I saw listed it around 900 lawyers).

So, I would not be surprised if having them as clients for the firm would have no impact on his judgement. Mueller has shown to be quite "by the book" in the past, and I do not expect him to change that now. I can of course be shown other evidence to convince me, but I am not pessimistic about Mueller's appointment.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:


But they were concerned.


It is all troubling.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
tmcvey wrote:


But they were concerned.


It is all troubling.


You'll know we're in the end stages of this drama when GOP flacks start saying that Trump was really a New York liberal all along.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
Rod Rosenstein just appointed Robert Mueller as Special Counsel to take over the Russia investigation.

#1 - It's about damned time.

#2 - It's about damned time.

#3 - Doesn't firing Comey look stupid now?

I think this is the right move. I just wonder how long it will be before Trump tries to fire Mueller, Rosenstein, or both.




Thank fucking god.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
Something wierd in the story. It says he is resigned to avoid conflict of interest. What is that?


Law firm he works for also represents....Ivanka and Jared.


Oh crap
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank F
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
IF YOU WANT IT
badge
Please investigate a resource based economy.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So much winning. My head is spinning.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neon Joe, Werewolf He-yump
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
On further reflection, I'm sure the Republicans are genuinely happy about this special prosecutor - things have built to such a head that they absolutely could not avoid asking hard questions and issuing subpeonas, and lord knows they tried for as long as they could.

Since Trump is a spoiled man-child, asking mean questions of him would have ruined their "working relationship". Now they don't have to stand up to him, and they can all merrily resume robbing from the poor to give to the rich.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Fox News & Republicans hilarious efforts to ignore, rationalize and recast the situation start at the 5:55 mark following other minor bits (like news anchors saying "the "I" word" instead of "impeach").


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Republicans should be happy, if for no other reason than this, to some degree, buries the investigation from the public eye. Mueller is under no obligation to reveal anything about what he is doing to the news media or public. Although the Senate and House hearings/investigations will continue, I have no faith that they will reveal what Mueller ultimately can, given the resources that will be made available to him. As I heard yesterday, the Senate Committee has 7 part time people working on the investigation, Mueller will make a phone call and get twice that in one day if he desires.

He has broad ranging powers, which is bad for the Repubs and Trump, because he can take the investigation wherever it leads, and with all that has transpired, I cannot believe that everyone will come out clean in the end.

But appointing Mueller will push the meat of this investigation behind closed doors, hence giving the Repubs a break from constantly having to deal with the issues. It leaves them free to some degree to attack their agenda again, and attempt to do the things that Trump promised to Make America Great Again. Of course, Great for who was always in question, laughs.

This may also push Comeys grilling behind closed doors. Although I think that Senators still want to hear from him in a public or closed session, I am not sure that the Special Prosecutor here might have some sway in how Comey is handled.

Overall good news though, and I have to commend Rosenstein for making the selection. I wonder at this point whether this was revenge, for the obvious use he suffered via the memo that was the excuse for the Comey firing, or whether he truly is a standup guy, that has stepped to the plate and said Enough is Enough, when it comes to the partisan politics that seems to be a part of the Congressional investigations.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Professor of Pain
United States
St. Joseph
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
And Trump spoke about this at a news conference today, saying
Quote:
I believe it hurts our country terribly, because it shows we're a divided, mixed-up, not unified country. And we have very important things to be doing right now, whether it's trade deals, whether it's military, whether it's stopping nuclear—all the things that we discussed today. And I think this shows a very divided country.

It also happens to be a pure excuse for the Democrats for having lost an election that they should have easily one because of the Electoral College being slanted so much in their way. That's all this is. I think it shows division, and it shows that we're not together as a country. And I think it's a very, very negative thing. And hopefully, this can go quickly, because we have to show unity if we're going to do great things with respect to the rest of the world.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
And Trump spoke about this at a news conference today, saying
Quote:
I believe it hurts our country terribly, because it shows we're a divided, mixed-up, not unified country. And we have very important things to be doing right now, whether it's trade deals, whether it's military, whether it's stopping nuclear—all the things that we discussed today. And I think this shows a very divided country.

It also happens to be a pure excuse for the Democrats for having lost an election that they should have easily one because of the Electoral College being slanted so much in their way. That's all this is. I think it shows division, and it shows that we're not together as a country. And I think it's a very, very negative thing. And hopefully, this can go quickly, because we have to show unity if we're going to do great things with respect to the rest of the world.


It is just so incredibly sad that he is so utterly incapable of taking blame for any action.

The division is there. Trump did not cause it, but he has definitely done much more to increase the divide than to repair it.

If you want unity, you don't slander those that you desire unity with. You don't attack trusted institutions without proof just because they get in your way.

If a special prosecutor brings the divide into focus, then good. Maybe it's time to fill that hole instead of blasting new divides.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
And Trump spoke about this at a news conference today, saying
Quote:
I believe it hurts our country terribly, because it shows we're a divided, mixed-up, not unified country. And we have very important things to be doing right now, whether it's trade deals, whether it's military, whether it's stopping nuclear—all the things that we discussed today. And I think this shows a very divided country.

It also happens to be a pure excuse for the Democrats for having lost an election that they should have easily one because of the Electoral College being slanted so much in their way. That's all this is. I think it shows division, and it shows that we're not together as a country. And I think it's a very, very negative thing. And hopefully, this can go quickly, because we have to show unity if we're going to do great things with respect to the rest of the world.


Prepping the way for the reason to be given when its time to fire Mueller. Its for "the good of the nation"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Elfbane wrote:
And Trump spoke about this at a news conference today, saying
Quote:
I believe it hurts our country terribly, because it shows we're a divided, mixed-up, not unified country. And we have very important things to be doing right now, whether it's trade deals, whether it's military, whether it's stopping nuclear—all the things that we discussed today. And I think this shows a very divided country.

It also happens to be a pure excuse for the Democrats for having lost an election that they should have easily one because of the Electoral College being slanted so much in their way. That's all this is. I think it shows division, and it shows that we're not together as a country. And I think it's a very, very negative thing. And hopefully, this can go quickly, because we have to show unity if we're going to do great things with respect to the rest of the world.


Actually, even your comment misses the point a bit. With a special counsel in place, the administration can "lawyer up," bring in counsel and staff just to handle that investigation, and stop dealing with the questions on a day-to-day basis. That's what both the Reagan and Clinton administrations did, and it's arguably the only thing that let them move their agenda at all.

Can we now give up the stupid notion that bringing in a non-politician to do a job that really requires some experience as a politician is a good idea?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmb
TheDonald wrote:
Regular Investigators are for losers. I got a Special Investigator. I think a Classy Investigator would have been more apple poe, but the haters in Congress just wouldn't let it happen. #DrainTheSwamp


I approve those micro badges.
8 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmb
xuzuthor wrote:


It is just so incredibly sad that he is so utterly incapable of taking blame for any action.


The buck stops...somewhere over there. Also make America great again.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snoo Py
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
I wouldn't get too excited by the prospect of Trump getting impeached.
This will probably happen, sooner or later, but the latest, the better.
A president Pence will push the waco agenda much more efficiently than Trump does. Let's be honnest, Trump's total incompetence has been a blessing for now.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.