Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » Rules

Subject: Elite Threats, did I handle this correctly? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Derek Tomek
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
So last night was the first time I ran into an elite threat (two of them at once even) in a standard non ambush epic threat. There wasn't much explanation on the card so I assumed just draw two of each as the picture implied, with two of those cards unfortunately drawing an extra threat as well. So with the threats drawn I started laying out the enemies, checkerboarding slow enemies in first, with faster enemies filling in after the checkerboard was filled. I ended up with a completely filled tile and then filled in the spaces from there with the fastest enemy. I've never come close to such a filled room before so I just kind of winged it. Curious for the future if this was the correct methodology? P. S. I've never had such an excellent opportunity for dynamite before!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Friedmutant
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

No, I don't think you did that right!

The encounter entitled "Draw 2 Elite Threat Cards" that shows two stacks of Low-Med-High threat cards does not mean for you to pick two of each level. It shows the stack like that to indicate you choose a threat level appropriate for your difficulty scaling.

For example, a level 3 posse (highest character level) with four heroes has a difficulty scaling of "Medium Threats, no Revive tokens" and adds 1 elite ability to each monster card. In the case of the above encounter, you would have drawn 2 mediums with 2 elite abilities each (one for the posse level, one from the encounter).

Did you survive? You made that a lot harder than it needed to be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Tomek
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Oh crap! I thought it seemed a bit extreme but I just went with it. We did scrape through thanks to some fully stocked side bags, lucky dynamite and magik draws (of course sorcerer ended up with mastery, yikes!), and having enough XP for a couple levels on two of the characters. It was pretty disheartening only drawing three loot cards for what ended up being a two and a half hour marathon battle though haha. Glad I asked so I don't unnecessarily punish myself next time I encounter one of those though haha.

Edit: also to add to the misfortune, this was the result of a roll of 1 on the first dead end on blow the mine... I don't think we will be successful with the mission overall after that brawl...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
north richland hills
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't feel bad. I did the same thing the first time I pulled that threat card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Tomek
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Well on the bright side it did provide my drifter an ample opportunity to score some much needed experience to do a bit of catching up with the rest of the posse. I don't think I'll soon be forgetting how to do it the right way though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lauri yli-viikari
msg tools
There are these two nice advanced rules that I recomend using. Extra eliteability when depth meets darknes and using encounters that read in map tile, even when there normaly isnt encounter. This didnt ask your question but seems like it was allready setled

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Tomek
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Hmm I hadn't heard of the crossover elite before. I'll definitely consider that, although being fairly new and running a drifter, I already deal with a lot of elites as it is anyway. I had been leaning towards trying the advanced encounters though. My group is definitely up for challenge and I suppose that would deliver. Thanks for the suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.