6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: What is a kickstarter fulfillment center? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
Often Kickstarter games are more expensive if they do not have a fulfillment center in my country. The difference can be significant.

Can someone tell me what a fulfillment center is and how games are shipped without the receiver having to pay duty and other taxes?

For example, I know American Kickstarters often have no additional shipping whereas Canadians have to pay $20 USD. I suspect it is the cost of international postage and where the game is produced, often China.

Explanation welcomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
It's just where your package gets shipped from. The further you are from the shipping point, generally, the more money it cost to ship an item. More shipping centers means more people are close to one. A kickstarter specific fulfillment center means the company you backed a project with doesn't normally ship from that location and they are pay another company to handle that portion of the shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald M.
United States
flag msg tools
cormor321 wrote:
It's just where your package gets shipped from. The further you are from the shipping point, generally, the more money it cost to ship an item. More shipping centers means more people are close to one. A kickstarter specific fulfillment center means the company you backed a project with doesn't normally ship from that location and they are pay another company to handle that portion of the shipping.

I see, fulfillment centers are like "hubs" to forward the game in bulk once received from the place of manufacture.

If one does not live in a country with a fulfillment center then the shipping is much more expensive. If you live in an obscure or not covered country you may be the only one to receive it, thus the high shipping. That's the way I read it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich M
United States
Greenwood
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a place that causes angst and irritation to kickstarter backers, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
cormor321 wrote:

I see, fulfillment centers are like "hubs" to forward the game in bulk once received from the place of manufacture.

If one does not live in a country with a fulfillment center then the shipping is much more expensive. If you live in an obscure or not covered country you may be the only one to receive it, thus the high shipping. That's the way I read it.

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A fulfillment center can also be a partnership with a store. For instance Tasty Minstrel Games has used the Toronto board game cafe/store Snakes and Lattes for some Canadian fulfillment (I believe they cover eastern Canada and Starlit Citadel may cover western Canada).

And the shipper still has to pay the cross border duty/taxes. This is included either in the shipping costs or the overall campaign cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.