Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

High Frontier (3rd edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Logistic limits in Interstellar rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are there logistic limits in Interstellar? For example, if I use 6 cubes for all breakthroughs while on a beehive, how could I rebuild a Bernal if 1 cube in my colour is left?
The same goes with claim discs. If I explore 9 sites, what happens when I explore the 10th? Do I remove one claim disk from a star system (e.g. with a bare gas giant) so that I can use its disk for new exploration (but on the other hand I can re-explore it again!)? Or am I not allowed to explore anymore? The issue with claim disk is also important since those are used for professions and run out soon.

My solution would be:
- no limits for cubes - use cubes from an unused colour intead
- no limits for exploration - use WATER BEADS for successful explorations instead of claim disks; if there should be limits, still use water beads since they are more convenient but no more than 9
- in a Multiplayer game position the water bead on the location so that it points towards the owner
- use water beads as stress counters instead of black disks since a) they are more convenient on cards b) you avoid running out of black disks for busted locations
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the available bits represent your logistic limits, yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
Avatar
mb
I think if you've successfully studied all techs, you're so awesome, you don't have to worry about logistical limits, you should be throwing yourself a party instead.

But that's just me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Let's wait for the answer from Andrew.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmb
Logistics limits don't apply but if you're doing that well I can't see the game providing much of a challenge.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
andrewdoull wrote:
Logistics limits don't apply but if you're doing that well I can't see the game providing much of a challenge.

That situation when I run out of assets (apart from shortage of shared proffessions disks) happen mostly in the Legacy Interstllar rules. After the 1st journey you usually acquire all breakthroughs and all stars are explored in the 2nd one at some point.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
Avatar
mb
improove wrote:
andrewdoull wrote:
Logistics limits don't apply but if you're doing that well I can't see the game providing much of a challenge.

That situation when I run out of assets (apart from shortage of shared proffessions disks) happen mostly in the Legacy Interstllar rules. After the 1st journey you usually acquire all breakthroughs and all stars are explored in the 2nd one at some point.


Jeez, I do a happy dance if I can get two breakthroughs by the time I make it to my first star (heck, one is sometimes great). You'll have to write a strategy guide some time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CthulhuKid wrote:
improove wrote:
andrewdoull wrote:
Logistics limits don't apply but if you're doing that well I can't see the game providing much of a challenge.

That situation when I run out of assets (apart from shortage of shared proffessions disks) happen mostly in the Legacy Interstllar rules. After the 1st journey you usually acquire all breakthroughs and all stars are explored in the 2nd one at some point.


Jeez, I do a happy dance if I can get two breakthroughs by the time I make it to my first star (heck, one is sometimes great). You'll have to write a strategy guide some time.

Some key advices:
- take care humans will not be too old to reproduce at all cost (or save non-Alzheimer subject infants in vats)
- prefer Robonauts wihout supports for easy cube manufacture
- keep robo engineers alive for stress-less repairs, cube manufacture, speed changes (called hull nanofactorying with protium breakthrough)
- when approaching LICs, always have sufficient amount of Robot/Robonaut spacewalkers for shield repair while putting into vats grey goo providers (scientists)
- do not rely on brakes too much unless you have them secured in alzheimer-free vats as infants and they are able to use scholastics-based operation immediately
- after you perform necessary operations, keep humans in vats for the cruise unless something goes wrong with robo(nauts)
And so on. Colonization starts will surely help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
Avatar
mb
What color would you suggest starting in? The only time I went from Colonisation to Interstellar I was Purple and getting that Research first really didn't help because cancer killed everyone before I could get a hold of everything (being in a beehive and unable to vat people was also a problem). Should you go for white and cure cancer first? Blue for easier breaking at LIC for fuel? Just keep a lot of Businessmen alive to change the politics around and research as necessary?

Then again, I do love figuring out on my own.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Garycki
Poland
Gdansk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CthulhuKid wrote:
What color would you suggest starting in? The only time I went from Colonisation to Interstellar I was Purple and getting that Research first really didn't help because cancer killed everyone before I could get a hold of everything (being in a beehive and unable to vat people was also a problem). Should you go for white and cure cancer first? Blue for easier breaking at LIC for fuel? Just keep a lot of Businessmen alive to change the politics around and research as necessary?

Then again, I do love figuring out on my own.

Many things depend on which engine you take. First of all, Beehives are of a different play than non-Beehive. Among non-Beehive, there are some thrusters heavily dependent on braking, the others have a terrific fuel consumption, the other require quite a lot of supports including precious Radiators.
My initial kick-off is to be equipped with those Robonauts and Robots which are easily made cubes. I make them so after I pass the terrific LIC around Sol. The game is all about manufacture which is used for: a) changing speed with protium, b) reducing mass to conserve fuel for braking, c) breakthroughs, d) keeping manufacture going by research. In Beehives cubes are also required for drydock and braking, to save Bernals. Just never stop manufacturing and giving birth. You need a good recycling engine. Think about it like that. Breakthroughs are of secondary importance except Protium for changing speed, which is the only one not possible via endowment. It is a bit like Agricola at the end of the game - you need everything of a kind to keep going but two crucial things uninterrupted: food (birth in HF) and fire (cubes in HF). You also don't need everything in Interstellar. There are parts of a journey where Engineers do the main job, some other are for researchers, the other for spacewalkers and at the end for pilots and biotechs. If you have lots of people, use business and always, I repeat always try to have domestics ready to reproduct. And remember: death can be your friend in a tiny spaceship since you need to recycle, unless you have completely secured infants in Vats.
There is a lot of to speak. I recommend using "Technology Demonstration" rewards from "Visions of the Future Glories" which make Interstellar much easier. Just choose some (two are sufficient) for your Interstellar game to have a training sandbox.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.