Gowron Clesus
Ireland
flag msg tools
Hi, first time poster long time reader :-)

Played my first long awaited game last night and couldn't get my head around one particular rule.

There is various locations that add bonuses to building and some that make it more difficult to build. I get more difficult to build, it's straight forward but:-

If a locations costs 1 less influence token to build then how does that work?

I need to spend an action anyway to build the first 'free' outpost. It's free as cost is 1 but bonus says it costs less so it's 0. But if I'm spending an action anyway why wouldn't I just put down a token? Thereby by the time a Starbase is built there will always be 3 tokens to go with it.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the 'discount' as a way of making it cheaper to build the best star-base for cheap points. Unless you desperately need to repair, building a base with no influence there is very risky. As you make it far easier for an opponent to come in and steal the base from you (gaining a jump start on building a points scoring base). If you have 3 ships AND 3 actions there, you'd likely influence once, build twice so you get the added defence. But again, it's all down to what your strategy is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gowron Clesus
Ireland
flag msg tools
Hi thanks for the reply.

My point is that it still takes 3 actions to build a starbase regardless of how many influence tokens you put down. So why not just put 3 down anyway if you are spending an action.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding influence? There is no limit to how many influence tokens you have is there? Only limited by how many actions you have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Each action only allows you to put down 1 influence token or increase a base one level. On a hex which reduces the cost by 1, it would take 5 actions, rather than 6 to get a point scoring star-base down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gowron Clesus
Ireland
flag msg tools
Ahhhh yes, that is totally my bad. I was viewing the action of placing a toeknen and building as being one action not two.

Makes perfect sense. Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.