Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » General

Subject: question about mini campaigns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mario Martinez
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all,

I have a quick question about the main campain ( Imperial Assault base box) and expansion boxes (Return to Hoth, Jabba's Realm, Twin Shadows, Bespin Gambit). Once the main campaign in Imperial Assault is completed, can we jump into one of the expansion boxes extending the narrative and the players playing the same characters through those campaigns, or are the expansion boxes more of mini one shot campaigns, where the characters start from scratch?

We'd like to play one large over arching narrative where the players continue with their characters playing through the expansion boxes. The rules on playing mini campaigns in Twin Shadows are a little confusing and seem to point that it needs to be played as a one shot mini campaign.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Campaigns are designed to be stand-alone, but you could probably houserule certain things in regards to equipment and XP to allow them to be played one after another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So first things first, there are three types of expansion for this game:
-Big box (Return to Hoth, Jabba's Realm, (Heart of the Empire, not released yet)
-Medium box (Twin Shadows, Bespin Gambit)
-Ally/villain packs (Han Solo, Chewbacca, IG-88 etc.)

In the big box expansions, you get another full campaign of equal length (11 missions) to the core box campaign.

In the medium box expansions, you get side missions that can be incorporated into any campaign as side missions or they can be played as their own mini (4 mission) campaign.

Ally/villain packs don't have a campaign, they just come with a new side (or agenda) mission and a skirmish map (as well as the figure).

So, each campaign is designed to be played with new characters starting out in the first mission. It would probably take a lot of house rules to try and make it balanced but I did just recently see a post about doing it. I don't think I'd recommend it, since either you'll have to make your characters progress very slowly (since you're trying to give them the same curve over 40 missions as they normally get over 11), or they'll ramp up too fast and the imperial player will barely stand a chance each time you get to the opening missions of each campaign. Not to mention, each finale is designed with the expectation that your heroes will be ramped up quite a lot.

I see why you might want to do this, but I'd also say you will end up missing out on the fun of trying out all the different heroes (there's a total of 16 heroes, so you'd miss 75% of them!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed.

What Im doing is starting with Twin Shadows before the core Imperial Assault one.

In the finale of Twin Shadows, Saska will die (in the story I make up) but Biv and Jyn will survive. When the players are in the next campaign with different group of heroes, Biv and Jyn will make an appearance as allies, using their skirmish mode cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.