Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Clans of Caledonia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Using a port rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert F-C
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook says:
Quote:
Using a Port
If a Port tile is neighboring, or within Shipping reach of, any unit of a player, that player may use the corresponding Port tile bonus in addition to whatever Action they perform on their turn (a Port tile bonus can be used before or after the player’s main Action). A player can use the bonus immediately or in any future turn. Once you use the bonus, put a Port bonus marker of your color on the used Port tile to indicate you have used it. Each player can use each Port bonus only once in the game (several players can use the same Port, though). A player may use multiple Port bonuses in one turn (see the Appendix).


This seems to suggest that if at any point during the game you were within reach of a port, then you can use the bonus even if are no longer currently within reach of the port. Is that right?

If so, this would seem to suggest that you would want some way to mark they you've reach the port as opposed to whether you've used the bonus. Are the player's port bonus marker tiles different on each side?

Edit: removed question about port tile arrow (the righthand arrow looks a bit like smoke in the low res PDF version)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WhereAreTheBlackDice wrote:
Rulebook says:
Quote:
Using a Port
If a Port tile is neighboring, or within Shipping reach of, any unit of a player, that player may use the corresponding Port tile bonus in addition to whatever Action they perform on their turn (a Port tile bonus can be used before or after the player’s main Action). A player can use the bonus immediately or in any future turn. Once you use the bonus, put a Port bonus marker of your color on the used Port tile to indicate you have used it. Each player can use each Port bonus only once in the game (several players can use the same Port, though). A player may use multiple Port bonuses in one turn (see the Appendix).


This seems to suggest that if at any point during the game you were within reach of a port, then you can use the bonus even if are no longer currently within reach of the port. Is that right?

If so, this would seem to suggest that you would want some way to mark they you've reach the port as opposed to whether you've used the bonus. Are the port bonus markers different on each side?

Also in the picture next to this text (in V4), the port tile doesn't seem to be in the direction of the arrow. Is that an error?


I see the ambiguity here (because of the "or in any future turn" part), but you still have to be filling the requirement of "neighboring, or within Shipping reach" to be able to use it later.

Here's my solution to it:

1) Either start with: "As long as a Port tile is neighboring, or within Shipping reach of, any unit of a player, ..."
or
2)Remove the ambiguous part ("or in any future turn") and add something to say that you don't have to use the port bonus when you are newly neighboring it or within shipping reach.

I prefer the solution 1).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the impression that you still have to be within reach of the port when you use the bonus action, but that you don't have to use the port bonus as soon as you are within reach.

If, at a later time, you're no longer close enough to the port to use it, you can't use it anymore.

That's my interpretation, anyway.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My suspicion is that Juma was trying to distinguish shipping from the neighborhood bonus, which is only usable during the turn in which you deploy a unit next to another player's piece. It is poorly-worded and could use clarification, you're right.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juma Al-JouJou
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
I get the impression that you still have to be within reach of the port when you use the bonus action, but that you don't have to use the port bonus as soon as you are within reach.


Correct.

In the current version of the rulebook it is clear:

"If a Port tile is neighboring, or within Shipping reach of, any unit of a player,
that player may use the corresponding Port tile bonus in addition to whatever
Action they perform on their turn (a Port tile bonus can be used before or
after the player’s main Action). A player can use the bonus immediately or in
any future turn (as long as the player’s unit is neighboring or within shipping
reach)."
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
St-Bruno-de-Montarville (Near Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovatormentor wrote:
In the current version of the rulebook it is clear:

"If a Port tile is neighboring, or within Shipping reach of, any unit of a player,
that player may use the corresponding Port tile bonus in addition to whatever
Action they perform on their turn (a Port tile bonus can be used before or
after the player’s main Action). A player can use the bonus immediately or in
any future turn (as long as the player’s unit is neighboring or within shipping
reach)."



thumbsup
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovatormentor wrote:
Quote:
I get the impression that you still have to be within reach of the port when you use the bonus action, but that you don't have to use the port bonus as soon as you are within reach.


Correct.

In the current version of the rulebook it is clear:

"If a Port tile is neighboring, or within Shipping reach of, any unit of a player,
that player may use the corresponding Port tile bonus in addition to whatever
Action they perform on their turn (a Port tile bonus can be used before or
after the player’s main Action). A player can use the bonus immediately or in
any future turn (as long as the player’s unit is neighboring or within shipping
reach)."


Actually, I don't think this is particularly clear. It sounds like you're talking about a two step process. First, activating the tile, and then using the bonus from the tile.

Since you can use the bonus on the turn you activate the tile, or on a future turn (as long as you still have an adjacent piece) it seems like you make it clear that activating the tile and using its bonus are two separate things.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
Innovatormentor wrote:
Quote:
I get the impression that you still have to be within reach of the port when you use the bonus action, but that you don't have to use the port bonus as soon as you are within reach.


Correct.

In the current version of the rulebook it is clear:

"If a Port tile is neighboring, or within Shipping reach of, any unit of a player,
that player may use the corresponding Port tile bonus in addition to whatever
Action they perform on their turn (a Port tile bonus can be used before or
after the player’s main Action). A player can use the bonus immediately or in
any future turn (as long as the player’s unit is neighboring or within shipping
reach)."


Actually, I don't think this is particularly clear. It sounds like you're talking about a two step process. First, activating the tile, and then using the bonus from the tile.

Since you can use the bonus on the turn you activate the tile, or on a future turn (as long as you still have an adjacent piece) it seems like you make it clear that activating the tile and using its bonus are two separate things.


The "activating" is just getting a settlement in Shipping Range. There's no actual step here. It doesn't sound confusing to me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovatormentor wrote:
In the current version of the rulebook it is clear:

"If a Port tile is neighboring, or within Shipping reach of, any unit of a player,
that player may use the corresponding Port tile bonus in addition to whatever
Action they perform on their turn (a Port tile bonus can be used before or
after the player’s main Action). A player can use the bonus immediately or in
any future turn (as long as the player’s unit is neighboring or within shipping
reach)."


Yup, there's no activation step, just clarification on eligibility.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bhz1 wrote:
Innovatormentor wrote:
In the current version of the rulebook it is clear:

"If a Port tile is neighboring, or within Shipping reach of, any unit of a player,
that player may use the corresponding Port tile bonus in addition to whatever
Action they perform on their turn (a Port tile bonus can be used before or
after the player’s main Action). A player can use the bonus immediately or in
any future turn (as long as the player’s unit is neighboring or within shipping
reach)."


Yup, there's no activation step, just clarification on eligibility.


Then I guess I'm confused. If you can just use the bonus if you have a piece in range, why bother mentioning anything about future use of the bonus?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Burgess
United Kingdom
Chichester
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
bhz1 wrote:
Innovatormentor wrote:
In the current version of the rulebook it is clear:

"If a Port tile is neighboring, or within Shipping reach of, any unit of a player,
that player may use the corresponding Port tile bonus in addition to whatever
Action they perform on their turn (a Port tile bonus can be used before or
after the player’s main Action). A player can use the bonus immediately or in
any future turn (as long as the player’s unit is neighboring or within shipping
reach)."


Yup, there's no activation step, just clarification on eligibility.


Then I guess I'm confused. If you can just use the bonus if you have a piece in range, why bother mentioning anything about future use of the bonus?


Because if you don't mention that, people are liable to assume they must use it straight away, when in fact they can wait to use it at a more opportune time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MDJD wrote:
bhz1 wrote:
Innovatormentor wrote:
In the current version of the rulebook it is clear:

"If a Port tile is neighboring, or within Shipping reach of, any unit of a player,
that player may use the corresponding Port tile bonus in addition to whatever
Action they perform on their turn (a Port tile bonus can be used before or
after the player’s main Action). A player can use the bonus immediately or in
any future turn (as long as the player’s unit is neighboring or within shipping
reach)."


Yup, there's no activation step, just clarification on eligibility.


Then I guess I'm confused. If you can just use the bonus if you have a piece in range, why bother mentioning anything about future use of the bonus?


Because you don't have to use the bonus immediately. At the moment you first place a settlement in range, as long as that settlement remains in range, you have the option to use the bonus. Once you use the bonus, you cannot use that Port's bonus again.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Mat.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.