nick name
United States
Appleton City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I discovered this game through You Tube, a fire fighting cooperative game looked like a fun an interesting idea so I picked up a copy.

Components
The components of this game of very good. The board is colorful, visually interesting, two sided, and well thought out with symbols and lines. Even with all these it still clearly depicts the building. The punch outs of the fire/smoke hazards, trucks and such are also colorful and easy to understand and use. The cards are of good quality and have great art work for the different roles.
The player tokens are colored to match the roles and look nice and fit and function well.

Game Play
The object of the game is to rescue 7 victims from a burning house.
Each player gets a certain number of actions on their turn, unused actions may be saved for later.
Actions include moving, fighting the fire (removing fire or smoke) carrying victims, chopping walls, or operating the hose on the fire truck or driving a vehicle around.
After your turn is over the player replaces any rescued victims, and advances the fire through the use of die rolls. Play continues until 7 victims are rescued, 4 victims die in the fire, or the house collapses, the latter two being loss conditions.

Experience
I played the base game without the roles with some friends. We found it far too easy and uninteresting. I also played the game with my wife using the roles. It was much more fun, and on hard it was a fun and challenging game.

Pros: The theme is great, I love that saving people from fire has been put into a board game. The random die rolls also help simulate the sometimes surprising movements of fire for fire fighters. It can be frustratingly random in the game, but it really fits the theme. The varied roles, two maps, and ability to play several different number of players well give a lot of variety to the game.

Cons: The main danger in this game is the alpha gamer, this was something I unfortunately fell into in one of our games. Also the sheer number of pieces can be off putting to people new to board games.
It is a system that takes at least one play-through to really get.

Comparisons with other Cooperative games
While I like this game I still tend toward Pandemic as my gateway cooperative game, the reason being a combination of the overwhelming look of all the pieces and the greater variety of choices in Flash Point. This game has the advantage of playing 6 well, and for new players has a higher probability of a win. (I'd love to hear in the comments what expansions best improve the experience)

Final Thoughts
I like this game it is fun thematic, and offers a challenge with choices that matter along with the challenge of unpredictability. It is among my prime picks for introducing people to cooperative gaming due to the variable difficulty level.

I rate this game an 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played the "family game" - it's always been with player roles. But I tend to play with fairly experienced boardgamers: most of the mechanics here aren't new, but they could be a lot to pick up all at once.

Give the alpha player the Fire Captain and then you get the sense of working on a team.

ALl the other maps are harder to win, getting more so roughly in order of publication.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick name
United States
Appleton City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When the maps make the game harder, do the new mechanics also make the solutions more dynamic in the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what you mean by "dynamic" - there's less obviously a single best tactic when you have more choices, but I'm not sure I've found the single best tactic on the 2-door house yet either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tom tom
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Want to up the realism? Put a black x on 2 of your POIs. Then say they MUST be treated by a medic before they can be moved. Tons of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1qwerty wrote:
Want to up the realism? Put a black x on 2 of your POIs. Then say they MUST be treated by a medic before they can be moved. Tons of fun.
I could not possibly comment on whether the Special Victims kickstarter bonus does something like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.