Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Space Hulk (fourth edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: My Sustained Fire Interpretation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mihael R
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
You, just sit in the car and keep the engine running. Any questions?
badge
Remember, I'm the monkey and you're the cheese grater, so no messin' around
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've returned to playing Space Hulk 4th Ed once again, after a year or two since the last play, and I'm a little stuck on interpreting Sustained Fire (SF) bonus, especially when comparing 4th, 3rd and 1st editions of the game.

Is the following interpretation of mine, in regards to the two scenarios below correct?

1st scenario:
On the Space Marine player's turn, if I fire with a Marine at a Genestealer and don't kill it, the SF bonus is activated for that Marine. If the very next action would be shooting at the same Genestealer, the SF bonus would still be active. Also, if the very next action would be to move a different space marine, the SF bonus on the previous Marine would remain active.

Now, let's say he fired at the GS and missed once again (twice in a row), the time's ran out, and it's Genestealer player's turn next.

If GS player moves any other piece, the SF bonus is lost! However, if the very first action on GS player's turn was moving the piece the Marine was firing at, the Space Marine player could spend a Command Point to shoot once again in response, with the SF bonus still active.

2nd scenario:
On the Space Marine player's turn a Marine fired twice on a GS and missed both times. The SF bonus is still active, but he decides to go to overwatch. At this moment the SF bonus is lost, because he took an action other than shooting (see the rule quote below).

Now, let's say I spent a command point to fire at the GS. I activated the SF bonus again. It is now Genestealer player's turn.

Once again, if GS player moves any other piece, the SF bonus is lost. However, if the very first action on GS player's turn was moving the piece the Marine was firing at, the Marine on overwatch gets to shoot in response, with the SF bonus still active.



4th edition rules on losing sustained fire bonus:
Quote:
The sustained fire bonus is lost if the Space Marine loses his line of sight to the target, takes an action other than a shoot action, if a Genestealer model other than the target takes an action, and when the Mission Status phase is reached.


So, did I interpret the ruling correctly?

If so, it's pretty complicated to track all the conditions which trigger the loss of the SF bonus, imho.


Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
meehael wrote:
Hi,

I've returned to playing Space Hulk 4th Ed once again, after a year or two since the last play, and I'm a little stuck on interpreting Sustained Fire (SF) bonus, especially when comparing 4th, 3rd and 1st editions of the game.

Is the following interpretation of mine, in regards to the two scenarios below correct?

1st scenario:
On the Space Marine player's turn, if I fire with a Marine at a Genestealer and don't kill it, the SF bonus is activated for that Marine. If the very next action would be shooting at the same Genestealer, the SF bonus would still be active. Also, if the very next action would be to move a different space marine, the SF bonus on the previous Marine would remain active.

Now, let's say he fired at the GS and missed once again (twice in a row), the time's ran out, and it's Genestealer player's turn next.

If GS player moves any other piece, the SF bonus is lost! However, if the very first action on GS player's turn was moving the piece the Marine was firing at, the Space Marine player could spend a Command Point to shoot once again in response, with the SF bonus still active.
Questions on three different editions at the same time? He tasks me!

From the rulebook, SF is lost if the Marine performs any other task but shoot at the same target (including Move and Fire). Or, another Marine takes an action. And, at the end of the Marine's turn.

Quote:
2nd scenario:
On the Space Marine player's turn a Marine fired twice on a GS and missed both times. The SF bonus is still active, but he decides to go to overwatch. At this moment the SF bonus is lost, because he took an action other than shooting (see the rule quote below).

Now, let's say I spent a command point to fire at the GS. I activated the SF bonus again. It is now Genestealer player's turn.

Once again, if GS player moves any other piece, the SF bonus is lost. However, if the very first action on GS player's turn was moving the piece the Marine was firing at, the Marine on overwatch gets to shoot in response, with the SF bonus still active.

Hah! You tricky Sum Buck, there is NO SF in 2nd Edition.



Quote:
4th edition rules on losing sustained fire bonus:
Quote:
The sustained fire bonus is lost if the Space Marine loses his line of sight to the target, takes an action other than a shoot action, if a Genestealer model other than the target takes an action, and when the Mission Status phase is reached.


So, did I interpret the ruling correctly?

If so, it's pretty complicated to track all the conditions which trigger the loss of the SF bonus, imho.


Thanks

Yes, you is correct.

No, it's not that complicated. If the Marine keeps firing at the same target (Genestealer, Door, Scenario object, Hello Kitty) he gets SF. Until his turn ends, or he does something else, or another Marine does something, or another Genestealer does something. Granted. that last one is a little complicated and not intuitive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihael R
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
You, just sit in the car and keep the engine running. Any questions?
badge
Remember, I'm the monkey and you're the cheese grater, so no messin' around
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ZombieMark wrote:
Questions on three different editions at the same time? He tasks me!

From the rulebook, SF is lost if the Marine performs any other task but shoot at the same target (including Move and Fire). Or, another Marine takes an action. And, at the end of the Marine's turn.
See, that's not the way I interpreted it, because I couldn't find anything in the 4th Ed rulebook about losing the SF bonus at the end of the Space Marine player's turn or losing the SF bonus to another marine taking turn.

In the 1st ed of the rulebook, I see that ruling, however. But then again, 1st edition has different ruling on SF bonus (kill on a die roll of 3+) and no SF bonus in overwatch...

Quote:
Hah! You tricky Sum Buck, there is NO SF in 2nd Edition.
Hehe, I didn't mention the 2nd edition.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the 3rd Edition rules handy. They do say that SF can only be taken in OW if it is the second or subsequent shots in OW. So, a following up with a Command Point would allow SF. As for a SF carry over into the GS turn...THE genestealer that the Marine was previously firing at would have to move, and then the Marine would spend a CP to shoot. Complicated, but not prohibited.

2nd Edition? Hey, don't you know you DON'T message the shooter?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hall
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a little different in each of the versions you listed. Here's a post that summarizes the change from 3rd to 4th:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/17711565#17711565
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my take on it...

Make what ever version of the rule you like and roll with it. I've incorporated both, depending on weapon. Just like the flamer, 1st edition is the heavy flamer, 2nd edition is the standard flamer.

I should probably admit, I've never seen the 3rd or 4th ed rule book in the flesh.

Quote:
If so, it's pretty complicated to track all the conditions which trigger the loss of the SF bonus, imho.


Not at all, it's easier to do it the other way round.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I want another crack at this. And, this time, I'll actually read what you wrote, instead of what I think you wrote. And, maybe include a few life lessons.

meehael wrote:
Hi,

I've returned to playing Space Hulk 4th Ed once again, after a year or two since the last play, and I'm a little stuck on interpreting Sustained Fire (SF) bonus, especially when comparing 4th, 3rd and 1st editions of the game.

Yeah, yeah, we get it, you're rusty. IF you had NOT gotten away from playing this game every-so-often, maybe we wouldn't be here asking questions, now would we? So, maybe set a timer on your smart phone to remind you to brush up on the Space Hulk rules once a week? Just say'n.

Quote:
Is the following interpretation of mine, in regards to the two scenarios below correct?

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Sorry, I never pass up an opportunity to use that quote. And, neither should you.

Quote:
1st scenario:
On the Space Marine player's turn, if I fire with a Marine at a Genestealer and don't kill it, the SF bonus is activated for that Marine. If the very next action would be shooting at the same Genestealer, the SF bonus would still be active. Also, if the very next action would be to move a different space marine, the SF bonus on the previous Marine would remain active.

NO, you Fool! (Umm, not...you , ME). I spent a while looking up the 1st Edition rules to answer a question you did not ask.

SF is lost if another Marine takes an action. Think of it this way. The game does not require us to track SF, except for one shot after another, fired by the SAME Marines. If he does anything else to distract from firing at that same Genestealer (move and fire, opens a door, GS ducks out of sight, etc.), SF is lost. Now, if he could maintain SF when other Marines activate, the game would need a SF counter to show the first Marine still has SF. Maybe TWO counters (one for the Marine, the other for his target). It's a crazy lush game with EVERYTHING we need to play. If there ain't a "reminder" counter, you probably can't do it. Just say'n.

Quote:
Now, let's say he fired at the GS and missed once again (twice in a row), the time's ran out, and it's Genestealer player's turn next.

If GS player moves any other piece, the SF bonus is lost! However, if the very first action on GS player's turn was moving the piece the Marine was firing at, the Space Marine player could spend a Command Point to shoot once again in response, with the SF bonus still active.

I guess. But, first, the GS player places blips. But, before that, he goes to the grocery store to buy more guacamole with Pico de Gallo, and more tortilla chips (the good kind). And, stops off to pick up his Mom's dry cleaning. And, remembers to mow the DAMN yard, before his folks get home, because his Father has already told him to do it THREE DAMN TIMES!

Meanwhile, you are paralyzed in your chair, staring at that same Marine, remembering (without the help of a SF counter(s)) that he still has SF, but only if the next thing that happens is THAT GS takes an action. All the while, sweating bullets as you resist the urge to break concentration to check Snapchat, and see if that girl you like (but, are afraid to talk to), even knows you are alive. Yeah, right, who are we kidding? You are actually dying to read Kim Kadashian's latest Tweets about what she will be wearing to the MTV awards. Instead, of obsessively remembering that SF is active (for that Marine, and that target GS). Without that SF reminder counter(s). Then, if any other GS or blip takes an action, SF is lost.

Quote:
2nd scenario:
On the Space Marine player's turn a Marine fired twice on a GS and missed both times. The SF bonus is still active, but he decides to go to overwatch. At this moment the SF bonus is lost, because he took an action other than shooting (see the rule quote below).

Now, let's say I spent a command point to fire at the GS. I activated the SF bonus again. It is now Genestealer player's turn.

Once again, if GS player moves any other piece, the SF bonus is lost. However, if the very first action on GS player's turn was moving the piece the Marine was firing at, the Marine on overwatch gets to shoot in response, with the SF bonus still active.

What? Oh, sorry, I was checking Kim's Tweets. I really like the red dress. I think the beige one is kinda slutty. Don't you?

If this scenario is any different than the first one (and, I'll take your word for it, if you say so), then my Guac and Chips answer still stands.


Quote:
4th edition rules on losing sustained fire bonus:
Quote:
The sustained fire bonus is lost if the Space Marine loses his line of sight to the target, takes an action other than a shoot action, if a Genestealer model other than the target takes an action, and when the Mission Status phase is reached.


So, did I interpret the ruling correctly?

No. But, we all make mistakes. You should go talk to that girl, instead of spending Friday night playing Space Hulk in your friend's folk's basement.

Life. Get one.

Quote:
If so, it's pretty complicated to track all the conditions which trigger the loss of the SF bonus, imho.

OMG! Give it a rest. If they wanted it to be complicated, they would have given us SF counters. They didn't. Don't strain your brain.


Quote:
Thanks

You're welcome.

Seriously, talk to that girl. Maybe she plays Space Hulk.laugh
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.