Subject: Solo rules : bonus options rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SmallRobot Painting
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, new to this game having played 1 solo game and losing 15-14 to the automa.

Questions..
1. I move the rooster at the start of the year, I gain the glass bead.. if I don't play that bead during the same year and sit on it.. it seems it will never get used, as you can only play the bead once per year?

2. If the automa goes to a spot on the board, I can't just chuck the bead there and take the bonus can I..?? I need to move my big fella there to use the basic action, then place a bead to take the bonus.. correct?

3. I ended the game with a couple of glass beads that I couldn't use as the bonuses available to me were things I couldn't physically do.. just bad planning on my part?

4. This game seems to play very quickly solo, and from what I can tell certain things are a bit pointless on the board...? Train a worker takes a turn and then cannot be used the following turn, in a 7 round game that seemed harsh..

5. I assume that to increase difficulty I just move the target VP higher..?

Bought this game as it's always coming up as a top solo game, so far it seems a bit lacking to me, going to play again in a bit but it's just a small race.. the 7 rounds bothers me a bit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Wilson
United Kingdom
Plymouth
flag msg tools
badge
There Can Be Only One! The Wrong One!
mbmbmbmbmb
When you train a worker, it can not be used during the current year(turn), but it would be available the following one (turn), so it isn't as harsh as you thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Gray
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I believe you can use a bonus action bead every time you place one of your workers, so saving them to use multiple times in one year is viable.

2. Yes, you must place a worker to use a bead for a bonus at the same location.

4. If you have the money, you could train a worker in the first year, then you'd have one extra for the next six years. But even in the late game an extra worker can be crucial.

5. For the basic Automa/solo play you place its cork on the 20 VP spot and that's your goal, so yeah you could just move it further up to make the game harder or instead you could play the aggressive Automa variant where it's cork moves incrementally each year and you must always be ahead of it to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm jumping in to give official confirmation (I was the lead designer of the solo mode): Trevor and Joshua are correct on all counts. Thank you guys for helping out.

Some additional comments.

3) Yup, bad planning .

4) 7 years corresponds well with the number of years you'd have in a multiplayer game. Training extra workers can definitely be very worthwhile. Of the top of my head I can't think of any action spaces that are less useful in the solo mode than against a human player.

Do you have other examples? If so, then maybe someone will chime in and discuss strategy with you. I generally refrain from discussing strategy, though, I want the players to figure it out for themselves and explore other strategies that mine .

5) There's a section in the rulebook listing 4 additional difficulty levels and the "Aggresive Variant" at the end of the solo rules also increases the difficulty level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a couple of things I need some clarification on (using the Tuscany board and rules).

1. Do I have to use the Bonus Action token even if I can place a worker on a space with a bonus action? For example, if I place a worker on the Draw a Vine card space that has the bonus action of draw a second Vine card, do I have to use a token to activate the bonus?

2. According to the Tuscany solo printout, when I place a worker on a space with bonus actions, I can spend a token to use one of those actions. Does this mean if, for example, I place a worker on the Play a Yellow card space I can use a token to use either the gain one lire bonus or play one extra yellow card?

3. Number 2 seems to indicate that I can use a bonus action even if it isn't on a 1-2 player space. For example, if I place a worker on the Place or Move a Star space, can I use a token to use the place or Move a second star action even though it is on the 3+ player space?

Thank you very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kevin.

As you know you play against the automa with only the 1-2 player spaces unlocked.

If that first space comes with a bonus you don’t have to pay a bonus action token. You may take that bonus for free.

Regardless of whether you took a free action or there wasn’t one, you may also pay a bonus action token to take another bonus action from the other spaces on that action. You may NOT use a token to take the free bonus again though.

Does that clarify?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gribbon wrote:
Hi Kevin.

As you know you play against the automa with only the 1-2 player spaces unlocked.

If that first space comes with a bonus you don’t have to pay a bonus action token. You may take that bonus for free.

Regardless of whether you took a free action or there wasn’t one, you may also pay a bonus action token to take another bonus action from the other spaces on that action. You may NOT use a token to take the free bonus again though.

Does that clarify?

Official confirmation: Iain is spot on .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all. That does clear everything up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.