BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Funniest Misplays in Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: should_be_a_geeklist [+] [View All]
Saz Wells
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Apologies if this has been posted before. Had a quick search but didn't find it as a topic.

What's the funniest misplay/mistake you've made recently while gaming?

I was inspired by a hilarious goof I made today during a magic the Gathering commander game. A friend was swinging at me with a 13/13 Bane of Progress, which I stole with Word of Seizing... forgetting I had put Price of Glory on the battlefield. So I had to discard 5 of my lands (putting me to 2 mana). Needless to say I lost pretty soon after. Wrecked by my own card.

So please share some of your best (worst?) gaming decisions that really messed you over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And the game was ....?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
I once lost Power Grid because I thought I had stashed three coal for my power plant but I had only stashed two. I only discovered the mistake when I went to fire up my plants. I had plenty of money and there was plenty of coal in the market.

Hah!

I guess you had to be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saz Wells
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
anijunk wrote:
And the game was ....?

Woods sorry. Magic the Gathering. Specifically during a commander match.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Watne
United States
Burlington
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Good times.
mbmbmbmbmb
During a game of Dominant Species, I was in a very strong position going into the last turn. I placed all of my pawns in nice, advantageous places, and even had one more pawn than I needed to accomplish my goals. So I placed it somewhere marginally disruptive for an opponent and settled in for a likely win.

Then I went extinct.

The problem was that my species (Arachnids) were 100% dependent on grass as a food source, which I had added to my board at some point. In a sheer brilliant stroke of dumb oversight, I failed to notice that grass was in the regression box. The action space was open. I had a spare pawn. I did something else instead, and Arachnids didn't survive the ice age as a result.

I still managed to eke out a 4th place out of 5, but that game will forever hound me as the time I killed all of the world's spiders when they forgot how to eat grass.

laughwhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
This isn't me but one of my gaming groups played a game of Battlestar Galactica with all Cylon(traitor) cards.

Again not me, but another group I played with did a game of Spyfall with no spy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I had won during a game of Catan...TWICE.

First I counted up the points wrong and when I built a City, I said, "Sorry guys, I win." I forgot that I had to lose my town to build the city, so I was a point short.

Later in that same game, I announced my redemption and declared myself winner. Then I was reminded that I had to surrender Longest Road a turn back and I was still short.

I lost focus after both goofs in the same game. I swallowed my embarrassment and played out the game. Oh, and I lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem I trusted Frankie to keep to a deal.

I'm never making that mistake again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Saz wrote:
What's the funniest misplay/mistake you've made recently while gaming?
Funniest play I've ever made... I usually play as green. I started a game with another player whose favorite color was also green. I let her play as green and took another color. Towards the end of the game I realized that I was playing as green and she had taken over my starting color, but we couldn't figure out when it had happened.

Most recent.. Last night I was playing Hanabi. We'd clued Katie in that one of her cards was white, which was a color we hadn't started yet. We were hoping she'd realize it was the one and play it.

It was a bit late and she had a headache and was starting to fade a bit. Anyway, it came around to her turn and she announces in a strident voice "I'm going to play the blue two!" and throws the card on the table. Well, what she actually played was the white one. Which was the card we had clued her about and wanted her to play. We're not sure where she got the idea it was a blue two, but it was pretty funny how convinced she was that that's what she was playing and that it ended up working out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family was teaching Survive: Escape from Atlantis! to my nieces (6 player) and my Niece took blue which is always my wife's color no matter the game. Well I started picking on blue because my wife is the only other adult playing. She didn't even clue me in. I had to apologize profusely to my poor niece for picking on her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rood Bird
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I mostly play games with another couple. We introduced them to Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game and having played it 2 or 3 times they bought their own copy.

One Christmas they decided to play with 3 other friends. They explained to the others that there might be one betrayer in the game or maybe none at all. It is all part of the game to keep people suspicious.

However, they mistakenly shuffled in 10 'Betrayal' and only 1 'normal' secret objective cards at the start. They ended up with four betrayers.

(not surprisingly the colony failed!)

The husband has never been allowed to shuffle the cards at set up since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CDiablo wrote:
This isn't me but one of my gaming groups played a game of Battlestar Galactica with all Cylon(traitor) cards.

Again not me, but another group I played with did a game of Spyfall with no spy.
We played a game with all cylon cards except for one player.

Pete (recalls that player was really stressed out)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
CDiablo wrote:

We played a game with all cylon cards except for one player.

Pete (recalls that player was really stressed out)

We played once where no Cylons were put in the loyalty deck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Gambone
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just last week, playing Secret Hitler. I was a non-Hitler fascist . We had used the first assassination and killed a liberal, so it was 2-2 left. I got elected chancellor, placed the FIFTH fascist policy, thought we had won, and high fived Hitler, whom the liberal president promptly assassinated for the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicky Goode
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made my herbivore a scavenger (I think that was the name of the trait) during a play of Evolution so when the next carnivore attacked I proudly went "Aha! I knew you were going to do that! More food for me!"
Nope, the herbivores don't eat meat...

And then there was the time I was giving the clues in Codenames. There was one mountain (Matterhorn or something) on the table, my group only had two more tiles to guess. I decided we were far enough ahead that getting a single tile was safer than trying to connect the two completely unrelated words. "Mountain, one!" was correctly decoded by my team mates only for me to realise that it was one of the opponents' tiles. Not sure what misfired in my brain there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
In Codenames my partner (who was quite tired at the time) failed to guess
Berry from the clue Straw 2 (he got bed no problem)
The other team then won.

After he asked what the hell was the other straw clue as he just could not see it at all.
Berry I replied thinking it needed no more explanation than that
His response
What the hell is a berry straw?

We were in pieces laughing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vicky Goode
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
exparrot wrote:
In Codenames my partner (who was quite tired at the time) failed to guess
Berry from the clue Straw 2 (he got bed no problem)
The other team then won.

After he asked what the hell was the other straw clue as he just could not see it at all.
Berry I replied thinking it needed no more explanation than that
His response
What the hell is a berry straw?

We were in pieces laughing

It took me two reads of "What the hell is a berry straw?" to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Watson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Playing as Mordred in Avalon; managed to get my two fellow traitors on the first quest. We all played our fails. Shortest game of Avalon ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
American in Chile
Chile
Temuco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seven people playing Clue Master Detective: on hubby's first turn he made a suggestion and got no cards in response. This left us all wondering how many cards were in his hand, and how many in the envelope; maybe he was trying to trick us and they were all in his hand. As the game went on, we all included one of those items in our suggestions to try to see which were the right ones. Eventually we figured out what he was holding, so someone made the accusation and won. He had randomly suggested the correct answer in his first turn, and was so busy writing it down, that he didn't even notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Corkery Hahn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once during a teach of Dead of Winter I accidentally put the wrong cards in for the crisis. I was not the traitor I just was distracted while explaining a rule and put the wrong two cards in. In the circumstances of the game it was obvious it was my two cards and I was left blathering on-- "I'm not a traitor, I swear! It was an honest mistake"

"Yeah.... right," the other players said "That's exactly what a traitor would say." Quick learners.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
confusedvicky wrote:
I made my herbivore a scavenger (I think that was the name of the trait) during a play of Evolution so when the next carnivore attacked I proudly went "Aha! I knew you were going to do that! More food for me!"
Nope, the herbivores don't eat meat...

Actually, you were on the right track. There are no true herbivores in Evolution. There are carnivores and omnivores. Carnivores only eat meat. Everything else usually eats plants, but can eat meat via Scavenging and Cooperation.

From the rulebook:
Quote:
Important Feeding Rules
• Non-Carnivores normally eat Plant Food, but they can also eat Meat Food with traits such as Scavenger or Cooperation. A Carnivore may never eat Plant Food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Wayne
msg tools
mb
I have two recent ones, both cases of sleepiness and wine...

The wife and I were playing Pandemic Legacy and were having the easiest time in our first attempt at July. We couldn't believe our luck as we moved around the board and handled nearly every cube in sight, plus kept at bay the other developments that the game throws at you. Right before curing our second disease I noticed the stack of five Epidemic cards sitting next to the board that had never made it into the shuffle.

In a recent game of Dominion with the wife and sister I spent the entire game buying up action cards to increase the value of my Silk Roads. I was certain I was going to win because no one else seemed worried about my strategy. Of course, they failed to point out that I had obviously mixed the card up with Vineyard and was heading for great disappointment. My sister ended up winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nash
United States
Klamath Falls
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've got two, both of which had very similar mistakes.

The first one was Airlines Europe. I set up the player deck, but accidentally put in three cards from my hand instead of the scoring cards. Sadly, it took us approximately three quarters of the deck, before we realized something was very wrong, as no scoring had happened.

The other was Pandemic. We forgot to put the Epidemic cards in. Got to the end of the game, cheering that we had somehow won before any epidemics were revealed. Until my wife saw the pile of green cards still sitting in the box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Dreams, there are four cards with artwork shown. All but one player know which one is the 'correct' one, and they place plastic 'stars' to recreate the picture. The object of the game is to either figure out who didn't know, or stay hidden (and guess which picture was the correct one) if you're the one who doesn't.
We're playing with three. I know which picture we're building and I see one guy obviously recreating the wrong one, a sort of goblin strapped to a rocket.
After the round is over, we all slam our spinners down showing who we think is the unknowing one. I vote for this guy and say 'Bart was obviously building the goblin!'. He looks up and responds 'Wait, weren't we building the goblin?'. Turns out he misread the chit saying which picture we were recreating. My girlfriend won the round, and these kinds of misplays are now known as 'building the goblin' in our group
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
weesh ful
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
games that have TONS of important decisions offer the most chances for both sides to make mistakes.

This fact also allows your misplays to not necessarily be back breaking, since your opponent may need to play perfectly to capitalize, and they might have 50+ more decisions to make.

I was playing in a relatively casual Magic the Gathering tournament, and my misplay was to use the wrong resources to cast a spell. this prevented me from casting another spell. I asked my opponent if I could change it, and he had the relatively witty "we aren't playing candyland" quip ready to go.

fair enough, this was a tournament.
it wasn't very funny at this point.

but a few turns later, guess who made the exact same mistake...and asked to take it back?

now it was hilarious! his mistake let me back into the game, and I got to use his candyland line on him.

(for the record, I generally let people take stuff back, unless it is impossible to restore the game-state and knowledge-state)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.