Subject: Gaging "Map Pack" Interest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The map being the same is one of the reasons I probably won't back. Maps were not the same in warcraft, the game it's trying to emulate. I have starcraft tbg sitting behind me. If all the planets were the same it would hurt the game a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your Mama
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get the want for asymmetry, and I would probably choose to play with an asymmetric map more often then not if I had the choice, especially after I've learned how to play. But I can see why GG choose to go with a balanced map.

A balanced map is better for introducing new players (in my opinion). Yest the counter argument could be made that one could give a newbie an more beneficial continent to start with. However I think of the game Black Fleet, a fun family level Merchants and Pirates game, and one of the ports is clearly not as beneficial to start on. People don't claim that the asymmetry is good, or to make the best player start at that port, they complain about the imbalance of the board. I know this is not exactly comparing apple to apples, but my point is that a lot more people are going to complain about an imbalanced board vs a balanced one, and since you can't please everyone you support what you want and what the most people want.

I think an asymmetrical board is a great idea, just not for this campaign. I think it would be perfect for a map pack, or possibly in an expansion with some new races. I think GG has enough on their plate to focus on at the moment, but in the near future I too would like to see new packs. Plus it would give them time to develop some very cool new modules or mechanisms that can take advantage of an asymmetrical map (rather than just rush out the map they had before, with out fully utilizing the asymmetry in some way), and that is the part that really makes me excited.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be down for an extra map. I like maps and anything to add to the game is cool. I don't want it to delay this campaign but I'd support more maps 100%.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
The map is the reason I also chose not to back this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your Mama
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddieharr wrote:

Please don't take this in a confrontational way. You're not backing this time around just because of the Map? There are so many things that were made batter in this run on KS, and it sounds like you were or did back the first time, but this time your not because of the map? Or were you on the fence before and this time the map was just too much? I'm simply curious, not trolling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SDDonkey wrote:
eddieharr wrote:

Please don't take this in a confrontational way. You're not backing this time around just because of the Map? There are so many things that were made batter in this run on KS, and it sounds like you were or did back the first time, but this time your not because of the map? Or were you on the fence before and this time the map was just too much? I'm simply curious, not trolling.

Amen! +1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddieharr wrote:

I really don't like the map either, okay I think the perfectly matched map is wacky and kills some of the game for me, but it's not enough to not back the game.

While it looks awfully goofy to see 6 perfect blobs, it's not enough to make the game bad.

Although I am sure a visit to Kinko's will not be too far behind delivery date for me......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
I really don't like the map either, okay I think the perfectly matched map is wacky and kills some of the game for me, but it's not enough to not back the game.

While it looks awfully goofy to see 6 perfect blobs, it's not enough to make the game bad.

Although I am sure a visit to Kinko's will not be too far behind delivery date for me......

I'm assuming you will do the original map? Or a custom? If it's the original will you please post your thoughts on the differences? They have said it's more balanced with the new map but I'm curious about it. I don't mind a map that isn't in perfect balance but I do think the 'starter' map that comes with the game should be if able. More advanced maps would be pretty cool. Even a map with just 2 islands where with more than 2 players you'd have to start on the same land as an opponent could be cool.

My friends and I would play 4 person Heroclix a lot. I had all the maps laminated and we'd randomly choose 2 to put together was a lot of fun getting different mashups. I can't have too many maps to choose from to add some spice and variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KingJackalope wrote:
Grumsh wrote:

I'm assuming you will do the original map? Or a custom? If it's the original will you please post your thoughts on the differences? They have said it's more balanced with the new map but I'm curious about it. I don't mind a map that isn't in perfect balance but I do think the 'starter' map that comes with the game should be if able. More advanced maps would be pretty cool. Even a map with just 2 islands where with more than 2 players you'd have to start on the same land as an opponent could be cool.

My friends and I would play 4 person Heroclix a lot. I had all the maps laminated and we'd randomly choose 2 to put together was a lot of fun getting different mashups. I can't have too many maps to choose from to add some spice and variety.

Yes the old map, I am too lazy to actually try and make up a map I buy games and not Make games for a reason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:

Yes the old map, I am too lazy to actually try and make up a map I buy games and not Make games for a reason

Thought you might be more talented than I! lol hopefully they won't block you with copyright. I know my local OfficeMax wouldn't touch it, plus I don't have a high res copy of the old map.

Again, after please post results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Drickman
United States
Ukiah
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would love an add on for the old map
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I take function over aesthetics any time, so I'm happy with the new map.

That said I do like assymetry and variety, and for the right price I might consider adding another map.

But keeping with the Smallworld analogies I'd rather have a tile set like Realms to either make maps from a scenario booklet or rules for generating random maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Cross
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely agree that new and varied maps would be a great addition to the game and provide more re-playability. The additional maps in Cthulhu Wars with their special rules and mini's are really fun and add a lot to an already brilliant game.

To solve the problem of balance, they could just re-make the current map with different shaped continents but retain all the functional elements (i.e. what borders what, etc). I think most people's gripe with the new map is that it doesn't "look" like real islands since they are all similarly shaped landmasses. I don't think people have a problem with the number of territories on each island for example. Just the shape of them. I personally think they look fine but I get the complaint as the four (or six) islands do look very similar in shape and are a little "unrealistic".

Another potential way of doing it could be to copy Cthulhu Wars idea of map-halves: i.e. you have two double-sided map halves that, when put together, could make different player-count boards.

A further way to do it might be to release a modular map (possibly with large tiles such as in Inis - the interlocking tiles in Inis would make the whole thing hold together too) that can be put together in many different ways. Each tile could contain two (or maybe three) territory types while some would be entirely water. Alternatively, one could make the modular map out of squares or rectangle much like oversized versions of the cards in TEK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Van Nuys
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People don't seem to get how the Asymmetry works in this game. This topic is becoming moot to the point of dumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Yaniz
United States
flag msg tools
Map Pack sounds like a good Idea. I don't mind that the different islands "look" alike in terms of terrain types, but I think the artwork looks bland. Of course that doesn't affect the gameplay itself, maybe the game experience (but just a bit).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Im sorry I was not clear. I did not back before and was on the fence. I had made up my mind to back this go around, however, the map put me back on the other side of the fence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddieharr wrote:
Im sorry I was not clear. I did not back before and was on the fence. I had made up my mind to back this go around, however, the map put me back on the other side of the fence.

So you'd be happier with a nicer less functional map instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunnar Maluf
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
But please, not the original map. Let us have maps that do not require ships. Maps that we can go directly into each other's throats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
gunnarmaluf wrote:
But please, not the original map. Let us have maps that do not require ships. Maps that we can go directly into each other's throats.

You can. The white dotted lines are ferry routes that are used for traveling land units. Regions connected by ferry routes are considered adjacent for land units. Boats are not required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes David, one more appealing, more interesting. Like every strategy game out there (warcraft, starcraft, etc.) where the islands arent the same shape and design, but you do have the same resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddieharr wrote:
Yes David, one more appealing, more interesting. Like every strategy game out there (warcraft, starcraft, etc.) where the islands arent the same shape and design, but you do have the same resources.

To each their own I guess. I like having a map that plays better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I liked the look of the old map but I'm not going to write off the new one without playing it myself. I would be interested in a map pack in the future should I want to change up the game, but there's really nothing stopping me from making my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Harr
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmb
To each their own indeed, which is why unfortunately I am out. Map is too boring imo, and too big of a deal of overlook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DorkPassenger wrote:
I liked the look of the old map but I'm not going to write off the new one without playing it myself. I would be interested in a map pack in the future should I want to change up the game, but there's really nothing stopping me from making my own.

Exactly!

I really feel there is no doubt another map of some sort will be coming. Might even be the original one. Its just not going to come WITH the game. The map that is actually performs better so that is the one common sense would tell you you'd want IN the game. They have even talked about maybe the original being a neoprene map as an add-on. Nothing 100% about that yet and I'm not sure news of that one way or the other would come before this campaign is over. They'd need a certain amount of sales to justify that.

I will probably do like others are talking about and print the original map at home at least and give it a go and see how it performs. If it does well maybe I'll look into other avenues. But to write off a great game simple because you are not getting a map that doesn't function as well is a Dr. Evil "....riiiiight" moment for me. I'd rather save money now getting the game and use that savings to print the map I can't live without if anything. Why spend more later? 20% off MSRP, and that doesn't even factor in the mercenaries and the nomad mini-expansion, which won't be available at retail plus the respective miniatures. Too much savings to pass up on a game that I want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davis Stringer
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just realized.... I haven't read the rules but I think the "map" is "wrap around." What kind of insane little symmetrical Indonesian sized planet is this? I WANT TO LIKE THIS GAME soooooo much. I love all the little figures and RTS-esque play but it doesn't feel like a believable place to me and supposedly better playability or not, that ruins it. The map makes it hard to immerse oneself into this "world." It's been a hard decision (very hard) and much of this game looks fantastic....but I'm out. Gamelyn, I'm afraid this map has ruined it.

Make your world believable and I'd be all in plus expansion. As, it is, I'll pass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.