CJ Wallington
United States
Fairfax Station
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...they agree to be more reactive to backer complaints. I pledged $90 for Helvetia Cup and teams by Helvetia Games. Game was funded December 14th 2014 (yes, 2014) and my credit card charged on December 17th, 2014. Over two years later, those of us in the United States are STILL waiting for their games.

Worse is that I saw the game on the discount shelf at One Eyed Jacques in Richmond, VA May 13th, 2017. So the game has been published but not distributed.

The company posted stats, including the names of the two ships the game was supposedly on, and has once answered an email, but nothing else.

Kickstarters response to my request? "take it to social media".

Okay, I am.
I suggest that BGG BAN Kickstarter ads until Kickstarter agrees to take a more active role in pledge resolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
snore

I don't think that Kickstarter (the site/company) should be the target of your concern, neither should BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hibou
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
With Trigun being this lock consensus good read for so many people, I find it really bizarre that she's alive. There's a threshold where if she's still alive she should probably be murdalated.
badge
Born to be a king, I ask one thing in return: a front seat to watch Earth burn.
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG should be more receptive to KS complaints? Why?

There are plenty of established publishers that aren't good at handling feedback/complaints. Should BGG have culpability for that too?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does denying BGG the KS ad revenue provide KS an incentive to do a better (or at all) job of policing the projects?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to register a complaint about this complaint. Wow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marginally more effective might be a boycott of KS by BGG users. Only marginally because....

I suspect BGG users are a very small part of the KS Backers (remember KS is more than just board games)

I suspect BGG users are a undisciplined lot (insight!) and will break boycott whenever they see a "must have" game anyway

I suspect that I'm not the only BGG user who is soured on KS to the point where KS might have a real hard time discerning me boycotting from me just not backing any more

And even if we got KickStarters attention, they apparently have little leverage over the Creators themselves...so what good does it do?

Sorry, but when it comes to KS I'm afraid the model just doesn't lend itself to accountability, while being perfect for, shall we say, wildly optimistic Creators, and disappointed backers? Best advice, vote with your wallet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
You might find a more receptive audience in the "discussing retailers" forum, which includes some Kickstarter threads.

https://boardgamegeek.com/forum/17/boardgamegeek/discussing-...

There's also a geeklist or two warning people of various crowdfunded project that have gone poorly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelley E.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
He went that way
badge
I used to have AP. Now I'm not sure.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this bears repeating: Kickstarter is not a store. As long as the creator runs the campaign in good faith KS's responsibility ends with the campaign.

When we back a project we are throwing money into the void and hoping something decent comes out. We are supporting a creator's vision and if we happen to get an incentive/reward in return then that is secondary.

I know it's a blurry distinction when it's often pitched as 1)pay money 2)get thing, but backing projects with any expectation of return will result in disappointment. Given KS failure rates it will happen eventually.

Ideally people who can't/won't risk the money should wait for retail. I do realize that some of these games only ever have a limited run and don't make it to retail. So we just have to balance the risk of losing the money vs the risk of missing out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I mean this is like having bad customer service from one single board game company and then asking BGG to ban all board game adds.

Take it up with the offenders, not the platform.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blockhead wrote:
Marginally more effective might be a boycott of KS by BGG users. Only marginally because....

I suspect BGG users are a very small part of the KS Backers (remember KS is more than just board games)

I suspect BGG users are a undisciplined lot (insight!) and will break boycott whenever they see a "must have" game anyway

I suspect that I'm not the only BGG user who is soured on KS to the point where KS might have a real hard time discerning me boycotting from me just not backing any more

And even if we got KickStarters attention, they apparently have little leverage over the Creators themselves...so what good does it do?

Sorry, but when it comes to KS I'm afraid the model just doesn't lend itself to accountability, while being perfect for, shall we say, wildly optimistic Creators, and disappointed backers? Best advice, vote with your wallet

Good luck on getting two BGGers to agree on anything marginally important, let alone a concerted push of more than two.

Remember, this is the subset of people that argue about if certain meeples are too big for a mapboard, if two cards are perfectly color-matched, and if more dice in a game is an abomination of life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moray Johnson
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Make all people stop playing board games as a protest until CJ gets his game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I once bought a game that I didn't like. I think all game ads should be banned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawna
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It was a silly complaint. Let's not run him into the ground tho?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shawnad2006 wrote:
It was a silly complaint. Let's not run him into the ground tho?

Fair enough. We've all been burned at one time or another, game related or not, and it's easy to sympathize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cjwallington wrote:
I pledged $90 for Helvetia Cup
Ouch.

Pete (feels for you)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garfield Cat
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Switzerland for example you can reclaim the money from the credit card issuer. You just have to dun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.