Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The following did happen in a game I was in and we didn't know the exact procedure.

Scene 1

Active player chooses to pull these lanes to help pull his trailing car.

Scene 2

Q1: What order are these done in? (For the illustration I went with all forward moving cars move first)

Scene 3

Lead car now begins moving forward for the remainder of the card's MPs.

Q2: Can the active player choose to displace the linked car to a lane that wasn't chosen as the original Lead Movement lane? (remember you choose the lanes not the specific cars).

Q3: a) When the lead car #4 moves forward what happens with unlinked car #13?
b) What happens with the linked cars behind it?

Q4: a) If Q2 is a yes then does #43 get left behind?
b) If not does it move before #24?

---------------------------------------------------------

If the rules don't specifically address my questions then I think it should be played this way:
Car #13 stays off the track until the Lead Movement card is complete. It's then placed where it should go and cars displaced accordingly. Yes, active player could kick out one of the cars to a different lane than what was pulled from as it's the end of the card, Lead Movement rules no longer apply. I think this is the cleanest way of handling it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skipper 2206
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Q1 : A mistake : First, your lateral displacement will move all 'outside cars' one step backwards (you can choose wich lane starting for #53). THEN you have created a hole where all your cars must move in when the activated car will move. (you choose if you take middle or outside lane with you of the rear of the package)
By doing this the #13 car is now part of your lead link (beetween #7 & #42)

(scene 2 = false) and (scene 3 = false #43 can't be in the middle lane)

Then your Q2 can't exist

Then Q3 can't exist too (all the cars will be linked)

and Q4 false : you can't have two linked cars on different lanes.

Hope your understand my poor english and hope it helps you

False response.. See below. My mistake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skipper2206 wrote:
Q1 : A mistake : First, your lateral displacement will move all 'outside cars' one step backwards (you can choose wich lane starting for #53). THEN you have created a hole where all your cars must move in when the activated car will move. (you choose if you take middle or outside lane with you of the rear of the package)
By doing this the #13 car is now part of your lead link (beetween #7 & #42)

I'm not sure exactly what you mean but in no way can the link happen after displacing. This is a Lead Movement action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skipper 2206
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiploGuy wrote:

I'm not sure exactly what you mean but in no way can the link happen after displacing. This is a Lead Movement action.

I mean :

1) You lateral displace cars (and they go one step back)

2) And now, you look wich cars are linked with your activated lead car (one lane)

3) all this linked cars move forward

To be more clear (i hope) You can't go forward before all the cars of your lateral displacment have been affected by this lateral displacment

Edit : Again false response. My mistake.. again !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the other way around and the OP example is correct. With lead movement, linking happens before starting moving so the questions are correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skipper 2206
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the cars are linked at the start of activation... so before any movement.

Any movement you do, the next will do the same (even lateral if you misdesplaces someone before moving forward)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Torvatn
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a car is displaced so it should be displaced into the linked line, it is instead displaced forward one Space. (This is written some weird Place late in the rules.)Basically the linked line is never disrupted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skipper 2206
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutly right if the movment has begun and if you lead linked cars are on two differents lanes

But in this case. you can first displace backward the car, Then move forward.

...Or maybe i'm wrong because it will add a car on the linked cars lane..

Edit : I WAS WRONG !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip McCaughey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harald wrote:
When a car is displaced so it should be displaced into the linked line, it is instead displaced forward one Space. (This is written some weird Place late in the rules.)Basically the linked line is never disrupted.

Yes. Its on p14 under Unique Circumstances. The example shows a single car but, I would assume that this would apply to a chain of displacements.

Edit#1: I see skipper's point - the lateral movement happens before forward movement, so as per 6.4.2: "during this initial lateral movement cars ahead and behind are not considered linked".

Edit#2: It's actually a Lead Movement card played so the circumstances unique to lead movement in 6.6 apply. Lateral movement will not unlink cars behind the lead car and linking is determined at the start of moving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verret
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
filliptoo wrote:

Yes. Its on p14 under Unique Circumstances. The example shows a single car but, I would assume that this would apply to a chain of displacements.

Yes, it must be this. The linked line (4 - 69 - 7 - 42 - 40 - 53 - 43 - 24)
would be broken when the #13 moves in the #42 space. In the bunch of games I've played, it never happened because players would advance one space than move laterally in the free space.

Pg 14, text of the exemple :
If the green car was to move laterally into pink car #23 a unique
situation occurs. Normally, a laterally displaced car would be
moved backwards; but in this case it would move into a line of
linked cars breaking the Draft Line. So, instead of displacing
backwards, the pink car must be displaced forwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to see this had a solution in the rulebook! It's a sign of good playtesting when they have examples of strange situations that can arise.

So effectively it would not make sense to displace the car in this situation or you would end up displacing it moving forward (at 3MP per space) for the remainder of your car's activation. Of course if it was one of your own cars you were displacing, perhaps that would be a valid strategy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
filliptoo wrote:
Harald wrote:

Edit#1: I see skipper's point - the lateral movement happens before forward movement, so as per 6.4.2: "during this initial lateral movement cars ahead and behind are not considered linked".

Edit#2: It's actually a Lead Movement card played so the circumstances unique to lead movement in 6.6 apply. Lateral movement will not unlink cars behind the lead car and linking is determined at the start of moving.

This response is correct. In fact it is so correct that displacing forward is standard in both Grand Prix and Apocalypse Road. In 99% of the cases you should move ahead of the line instead of displacing.

The cars being 'led' by the Lead Movement do not change once the Activation has begun.

If any car was to disrupt the lead line then the special case takes over, no matter how far back down the line it was to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:
filliptoo wrote:
Harald wrote:

This response is correct. In fact it is so correct that displacing forward is standard in both Grand Prix and Apocalypse Road. In 99% of the cases you should move ahead of the line instead of displacing.

The cars being 'led' by the Lead Movement do not change once the Activation has begun.

If any car was to disrupt the lead line then the special case takes over, no matter how far back down the line it was to go.

So to make sure I have it right in my illustration car #9 gets pushed forward, in front of lead car #4? (And of course remains an unlinked car.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verret
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skipper 2206
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this thread ! A very good FAQ example

I would not play like that BUT in fact, i would not never displace someone with a clear straight lane in lead move

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin OKeefe
United States
Tinton Falls
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What track is that in the OP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one, rotated,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the cars are going the wrong around the circuit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.