Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted a display preview at the DDM page yesterday so I won't repeat it here (https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1781332/pathfinder-icons-re...), but I wanted to give you guys a heads up along with a few additional pics. While these are not HS figures, per se, nor are there stat cards to support them, they can be used as proxies to advantage in many cases and for the DYOs in the house, can serve as inspiration for home brewed creatures.

The columns are a recent addition and make for a solid look as well as a perch for flyers or for creating a tiered effect. They are made by a hobby craftsman and HS player, Joseph Quist (josephvquist@gmail.com).

Releasing concurrently is the new Icons of the Realm Epic Starter Set which, in my opinion, are some of the cleanest and most vibrant looking pieces I've seen in a while.

A Crown of Fangs Brick: $127.92 MSRP
A Crown of Fangs Booster $15.99 MSRP
Icons of the Realm Epic Level Starter Set: $19.99 MSRP
Court of the Crimson Throne: $49.99 MSRP

Release date is May.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Are the columns 3D printed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question. Let's ask Joseph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Quist
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
This is Joseph. Thanks for the question! Yes, the columns are 3D printed. I paint them and give them an acetone vapor bath to finish them. A friend of mine does the 3D modeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Weintraub
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Lock him up!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some pathfinder and D&D minis are already used for custom figures created over at heroscapers.com (most of the regulars here probably already knew that). Darrak Ambershard is also regular D&D mini fig, actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear on the crossover. More enjoyment for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Warbanner wrote:
Darrak Ambershard is also regular D&D mini fig, actually.

As far as I know, all of the D&D Heroscape figures were available as D&D Miniatures. Some of them had slightly different paint schemes though. And others- the Water Elemental for example- while translucent in Heroscape, were painted opaque as D&D Miniatures.

That was part of the financial strategy when they switched the brand over to WotC, wasn't it? They thought they could save on production costs by reusing all those molds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
complexempiregames wrote:
This is Joseph. Thanks for the question! Yes, the columns are 3D printed. I paint them and give them an acetone vapor bath to finish them. A friend of mine does the 3D modeling.

That's cool. Have you done any other 3D printing projects for Heroscape? Seems like you could come up with some pretty cool terrain ideas. Not to mention creating your own versions of the hard-to-come-by tundra glaciers and Underdark rocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Those columns are the first HS custom piece I'd consider paying money for. How tall are they in terms of HS tiles? Could you post a photo cleanly demonstrating that? Can you legally sell these and would you? How much?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm very interested in EXACT height....top to bottom. Also if the base and cap are the thickness and shape, exactly, of an official tile.

It appears like the base and top might be water tile thickness? If so can you show any constructions comparing that? Or builds that work these cleanly into a castle, no other customs involved? Other customs can make it hard to gauge precise size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
Can you legally sell these...?

That brings up a good point. I recently discovered the Craig Van Ness and Hasbro have a patent covering the hex-shaped interlocking terrain pieces used in Heroscape. I suspect these pillars might be violating that patent. But I'm certainly not a patent expert.

Edit: Here's the patent description:

https://www.google.com/patents/USD536392#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Quist
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
TIM0THY wrote:
jcb231 wrote:
Can you legally sell these...?

That brings up a good point. I recently discovered the Craig Van Ness and Hasbro have a patent covering the hex-shaped interlocking terrain pieces used in Heroscape. I suspect these pillars might be violating that patent. But I'm certainly not a patent expert.

Edit: Here's the patent description:

https://www.google.com/patents/USD536392#v=onepage&q&f=false

Thanks for the concern. When I started this project, I did extensive research to verify the legality of what I am doing. (Because yes, I am selling them.) The patent you referenced is an ornamental design patent, which only protects the ornamental design, not the interlocking utility of each piece. So, as long as I'm not reproducing actual HS pieces, it is not patent infringement. The other document that has been brought to my attention (see thread at https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=53822 where we discussed this extensively. My tag name there is Aethiar) was a utility patent application protecting the actual interlocking mechanism
(https://www.google.com/patents/US20060043674). However, after further research, I found that application number in the uspto.gov archives. It has both a final rejection and abandonment by Hasbro (https://portal.uspto.gov/pair/PublicPair and enter the patent application number, 10/925,513 and then view the transaction history).

Please let me know if you have any other questions about the legality of what I'm doing. I made that a top priority when I started. Thanks for all the interest as well! Will be posting more about the columns shortly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So, where do we go to buy your stuff Joseph?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Quist
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
TIM0THY wrote:
So, where do we go to buy your stuff Joseph?

Apparently, I'm not supposed to be promoting anything, so I'd better just refer you to the heroscapers forum for more info on the columns for now. Thanks!
https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=53822
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Lyon
United States
San Juan Islands
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a head ups, this review set is available if anyone is looking for a set of 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Young
United States
Ogden
UT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Robbage wrote:
As a head ups, this review set is available if anyone is looking for a set of 8.

Did I see it on Ebay over the weekend? The set I saw seemed a bit on the pricey side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always nice to see people still being creative with Heroscape!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
I'm very interested in EXACT height....top to bottom. Also if the base and cap are the thickness and shape, exactly, of an official tile.

It appears like the base and top might be water tile thickness? If so can you show any constructions comparing that? Or builds that work these cleanly into a castle, no other customs involved? Other customs can make it hard to gauge precise size.

I'm interested in these questions still. Specifics of the item would be amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.