BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Actually Deadly Nachos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a rule I've never eaten any prepared foods from a gas station/convenience store, but after reading this story, I sure hell won't ever. surprisezombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: (Almost) Deadly Nachos
the srticle wrote:
"Foods that aren't refrigerated properly"

Or, alternately, foods not kept hot enough; which I think is more likely.

The cheese sauce would have to be 140 degrees or more to kill common food-borne bacteria, and that's mighty warm for a molten cheese product.
If the dispenser was set for 100 degrees, say, and left on for several days, then the bacteria are treating it like a stay at a fancy spa and they are reproducing like mad.

Refrigeration only matters if the dispensers are turned off for an extended period of time (overnight) and then plugged in again without ever changing the can of sauce-- which is also quite possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the old 40F-140F "danger zone" for bacterial growth. yuk

Considering that most gas stations are a 24/7 thing, it's most likely that their nacho cheese dispenser's heating equipment is not keeping it above 140F.

It's like those hot dog roller things that frighten me too, you don't know if the food is at a safe temp and on top of that it's probably been sitting there forever unless the store actually cares about food safety.

yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"You can spend all your time making money / Or you can spend all your love making time."
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the NY Post considered a gossip rag? Just wondering. That was not a super well-written piece of journalism, no?

Is nacho cheese on Doritos a thing? I had never heard of that, but I could go for a bag or two right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been reported on all the big news sites. That was just the first one that came up when I Googled for a link after hearing about it on the radio.

Honestly, I can't read any newspaper/news site without wincing at something in their articles. Lousy spelling, horrible grammar, and overall crappy journalistic effort seem to be the norm now.

I'd never heard of nacho cheese on Doritos before either but it seems like overkill to me. Now nacho cheese with a big salted soft pretzel...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
CallieMo wrote:
Honestly, I can't read any newspaper/news site without wincing at something in their articles. Lousy spelling, horrible grammar, and overall crappy journalistic effort seem to be the norm now.

So true. Our local newspaper seems to be published each week by either kids in kindergarden, or perhaps chimpanzees.

CallieMo wrote:
I'd never heard of nacho cheese on Doritos before either but it seems like overkill to me.

My nephew says that in Denver, I tihnk it was, at the football game they take a large bag of Doritos and slice it open just bit, pump in some nacho cheese, and shake the bag until everything is coated. Then you open the bag and eat the contents; presumably all in one sitting.
I was nearly ill just listening to him describe it. Can you imagine the salt/ sodium content in one of those?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Nacho cheese" is some of the most disgusting vile stuff on earth. It's cheese in the same way Velveeta is... only vaguely and even then only if you don't care about taste or quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
CallieMo wrote:

So true. Our local newspaper seems to be published each week by either kids in kindergarden, or perhaps chimpanzees.

So it's not just my local paper that's gotten that bad. I don't know whether to be happy or sad. I was just thinking the other day that I know where the Oxford comma has disappeared off to; it's floated up some and is the reason for all those inappropriate apostrophes all over the place!
shake

MABBY wrote:

CallieMo wrote:
I'd never heard of nacho cheese on Doritos before either but it seems like overkill to me.

My nephew says that in Denver, I tihnk it was, at the football game they take a large bag of Doritos and slice it open just bit, pump in some nacho cheese, and shake the bag until everything is coated. Then you open the bag and eat the contents; presumably all in one sitting.
I was nearly ill just listening to him describe it. Can you imagine the salt/ sodium content in one of those?

I had to go look up the nutrition info on both items out of curiosity.
A 1 oz bag of Doritos (Nacho Cheese flavored) has 210mg of sodium. A 1/4 cup has 500mg of sodium.

So, while it's a large percentage of one's daily sodium value, it's actually not as bad as I thought it would be. Salty but not the 1,000+mg salt lick that some other processed foods are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
"Nacho cheese" is some of the most disgusting vile stuff on earth. It's cheese in the same way Velveeta is... only vaguely and even then only if you don't care about taste or quality.

Luckily, homemade nacho cheese sauce is so quick to make and you can use good quality Cheddar cheese in it.

*is a sucker for melty cheese*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CallieMo wrote:
Thunkd wrote:

Luckily, homemade nacho cheese sauce is so quick to make and you can use good quality Cheddar cheese in it.
You're not getting homemade nacho cheese sauce at a gas station.

This story reminds me of a gas station I saw in Mississippi years ago. It had several signs out front advertising products it sold. The two that caught my eye were "Sushi" and "fish bait".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eat here get gas botulism?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
For example burying fish heads to ferment and digging them up later is best done without using modern plastic baggies because the baggies encourage botulism.
And here I've been doing it the wrong way.

Koldfoot wrote:
Not eating at a gas station because you are a finicky eater is one thing, but not eating at a gas station because some guy got sick somewhere in California is nonsense. On a scale of comparable threats, if you were to live your entire life facing the most minimal of danger, you would probably hang out at the gas station eating nachos for the rest of your life than get in a car and drive away. You are at far greater risk in a car or of starting your kitchen on fire making nachos than you are of getting botulinum poisoning.
Maybe. But I've seen too many gas stations violate food safety rules to ever be comfortable eating at them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: Now they were actually deadly. Nine hospitalized and one dead at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.