Subject: A question on long neck and nocturnal rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ste M
msg tools
Hi.
From what i've understand a sample turn is:
for play phase:
1st player do 1 action (e.g play a trait card) then 2nd do another possible action and so on.
for feed phase
1) use special abilities like long neck and noctrunal ecc..
2) in turn order I choose and feed 1 hungry species with 1 food/attack 1 other species (carnivore or non) if carnivore

but for example if 3 player and everyone has 2 card with nocturnal.
first 1st player feed his then 2nd player feed then 3rd player, and so on for the second extra feeding round right?
But if 1st player has foraging + nocturnal, then they can do 1st feed action and take 2 food from pool
right?
thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Foraging:
Quote:
Anytime this Species eats Plant Food, take 1 additional Plant Food from the same source.

Nocturnal
Quote:
Prevent 1 population loss due to Heat. Before each of your feeding turns, feed this species if there are no carnivores that could eat it.

So if you have both traits on a single species and there are no eligible carnivores, your feeding turn goes:

(Nocturnal) take one food
(Foraging) take one food
(Normal) take one food. May be a different species.
(Foraging) if the species eating has it which it will if it is the nocturnal species, take one food

So a possible 4 food on your turn

Then play passes to the next player.

EDIT: you may want to edit the title. Title says "long neck+ nocturnal". Your question as posed is about "foraging + nocturnal".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:
1st player do 1 action (e.g play a trait card) then 2nd do another possible action and so on.

Not quite correct.

First player will do *all* their actions (play trait cards, discard cards for population or body size gains, and discard cards for new species boards). *Then* second player will do all their actions, and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if you're actually talking about Long Neck, then remember that only happens at the start of the feeding phase, so only occurs once each round, not repeated until the next feeding phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ste M
msg tools
Thanks to all. But are.you sure you have to play all card then pass? I think this is too powerful for the last player. He can react too much to others. Its not more balanced 1 action by 1?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ariel
Chile
Vina del Mar
V. Region
flag msg tools
badge
constantly thinking on variants to create and implement
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:
Thanks to all. But are.you sure you have to play all card then pass? I think this is too powerful for the last player. He can react too much to others. Its not more balanced 1 action by 1?

Yes, a player must use all his actions until pass the turn to the next one and so on (face down cards are revealed when all players finished). But in the feeding phase, players take 1 feeding action at a time and pass the turn (until all species are feed or food is over). So, in Evolution the player order matters. The last player have some advantage in the play main phase (because the relative info) and the first one in the feeding phase (because eats first).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:

We play simultaneous play for card actions, then turn based for the feeding phase. Traits are hidden until the end of the phase, so nothing is really given away there. Yes you see what cards are discarded, but that's not really relevant information. Have they thrown away that carnivore because they are not going down the meat eater road? Or did they have five and had no other choice? So the only useful information is growth and species increase. And that is not a lot of help without knowing waht the traits played are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James R. Gracen
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stefano1234 wrote:
Thanks to all. But are.you sure you have to play all card then pass?

Yes.

Stefano1234 wrote:
I think this is too powerful for the last player. He can react too much to others. Its not more balanced 1 action by 1?

It is not too powerful for the last player. They are *supposed* to be able to react to what earlier players are playing. Here is what the rules say:
Evolution Rules Pages 4-5 wrote:
Starting with the First Player, a player may play as many Trait Cards as he wants, or save them for the next round. There are three things a player can do (in any order) with each Trait Card when it is his turn...Play passes to the left and the next player plays as many cards as he wants. When everyone has played cards, flip all of the played Trait Cards face-up.

Note: My emphasis in bold, and I left out the description of "the three things a player can do with each Trait Card" of the rules quote above, as that part of the rules takes up most of page 4 in the rulebook.

So, yes, First Player plays all the cards they want to play. Then the next player to the left does so. Then the next, etc., until all players have played their cards. Then you move on to the Feeding Phase.

That said, what we usually do is organize our cards face-down in front of us, in different piles, while the First Player is playing their cards. Then when it is my turn, I kind of have my moves all planned out. *This* card is for a new species. *These* are discards to bump up my population. *these* cards are new traits here, and here. *These* are for body size, etc. Makes for faster turns while still allowing me to react to what the players before me are doing, as is intended by the game designers.

Note that in six-player games, the rules specifically state that you are to use the "quick Play Variant" in which everyone plays their cards simultaneously "without looking at what their opponents are doing," to speed up gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin E.
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Two things to note about the balance:

First, the disadvantage of being first is mitigated in part by the fact that on the next turn, you will be last as the dinosaur is passed on to the next player.

Second, if there's one thing you can say about this game, it's that it was playtested to death - not just to make sure it works, but to make sure it was balanced enough for some form of tournament play. Turns out it's pretty solid!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.