Subject: Apothecary Rule Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken

Pdx
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't find this question anywhere on the interwebs, which probably means it isn't a great one but here goes. It actually has two parts.

Part 1: I understand that you have to use all of your cards, and then whatever resources you choose to before your turn ends. The wording on the Apothecary makes it seems like it could be an option: "Discard a card to choose one of the following (3 sword) -or- (2 gold) - or (heart)"

The words "to choose" make it seem like you have a choice not to. If it said "and choose" then I think it is clear that you have to do it. Has anyone else had the same question or does everyone play that you must discard a card every turn you have it no matter what.

Part 2 is this: Lets say you have all good cards and Apothecary in your hand and you really don't want to discard a card. Can you save the Apothecary for the very last card, play it and then not be forced to make a discard because the rules state "You can only discard cards in your hand that you haven't played yet." So if your hand is empty after laying the Apothecary down it would seem like that might be the only way to avoid a discard, if the answer to Part 1 above is "you don't have a choice".

I am just learning the rules and this was the only card on my first play through that I was unsure about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if the discard is optional or not (you definitely don't get the effect if you don't discard, though). However, you can certainly play the Apothecary last if you like in order to avoid discarding. I've never seen a player not want to use its ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmbmb
Jakelin wrote:
"Discard a card to choose one of the following (3 sword) -or- (2 gold) - or (heart)"

I agree this sounds optional. If you don't discard a card then you can't choose one of the following.

It would be a rare hand when I wouldn't trade a card for a heart or two gold. Maybe if I needed all the skill on the other cards to buy a 7 point Secret Tome and there were no other cards with points available for purchase near the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonner Purinton
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expanding on the possibilities:

You put into play Apothecary last from your hand to avoid having to discard a card to gain stuff (heart, gold, swords)you just don't want or need quite as much as the card you would be discarding. Further into your turn you pick up a secret that forces you to draw cards. Does the Apothecary text have to be used now since you have cards in your hand that may be discarded? Or has the Apothecary's window for text usage been closed already? Is timing an issue here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert William
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The way we play that card is as follows: You HAVE to discard a card; if you have one you want to get rid of (i.e. stumble), great. But if push-comes-to-shove, remember, apothecarey itself is a card and becomes self-sacrificing. You get one final benny, and then BOOM! Card self destructs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neptunerex wrote:
The way we play that card is as follows: You HAVE to discard a card; if you have one you want to get rid of (i.e. stumble), great. But if push-comes-to-shove, remember, apothecarey itself is a card and becomes self-sacrificing. You get one final benny, and then BOOM! Card self destructs.

I really don't understand what you were trying to say here...

"Self-Sacrificing"?
Are you saying that you use the card it self to be discarded?

Obviously you can't use the power of the card on it self, you can't use the apothecary to discard the apothecary because as soon as you play it the card isn't in your hand anymore and you can only discard cards in your hand.

Regarding the OP, to me, the part of the game that says that you have to perform all the actions in the cards is just to mean that the "Bad" stuff like adding Clank, etc, is mandatory, those you have to do them...
Cards like these that you have to activate to get a "bonus/Reward" you have the choice to activate them or not.

If in fact you were oblige to activate it, like it was said, you could just play that card last and so you have nothing to discard and the card doesn't activate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rademaker
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Sunken Treasures expansion detailed discard a little more.

Basically, what everyone is saying:
- If you have a card left, you need to discard
- If it's the last card, it becomes irrelevant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben G
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You must follow the text on the card if possible. If you play the Apothecary before you have 0 cards left in your hand, you must discard a card and choose one of the benefits. You can choose to play the Apothecary as your last card meaning you have no card to discard and therefore get no benefit.

This thread covered this topic a bit, with a response from Paul himself.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1656181/3-rules-questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OlympicCough wrote:
You must follow the text on the card if possible. If you play the Apothecary before you have 0 cards left in your hand, you must discard a card and choose one of the benefits. You can choose to play the Apothecary as your last card meaning you have no card to discard and therefore get no benefit.

This. The card should really have a wording like: Discard a card. Choose one of the following:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken

Pdx
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Moon 420 wrote:
Expanding on the possibilities:

You put into play Apothecary last from your hand to avoid having to discard a card to gain stuff (heart, gold, swords)you just don't want or need quite as much as the card you would be discarding. Further into your turn you pick up a secret that forces you to draw cards. Does the Apothecary text have to be used now since you have cards in your hand that may be discarded? Or has the Apothecary's window for text usage been closed already? Is timing an issue here?

This is an excellent point. I would say yes, if you haven't discarded a card yet and draw more cards after playing it last, you will have to discard from whatever you draw. The rules are clear that order doesn't matter. I just wish the text on the card was more definitive.

Thank you everyone for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dennen
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:
OlympicCough wrote:

This. The card should really have a wording like: Discard a card. Choose one of the following:

The reason for the "to" is to make it more obvious that you must discard a card to get one of the following effects. If we had written "Discard a card. choose one..." then I believe some players would be asking if they could get the positive effect if they had no cards in hand. (Even though would be absurd gameplay.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Ebert

Jackson
Georgia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is something in the expansion rules that states that it is a viable option to play a card that has a discard option in the text last. Thus not having to discard any cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.