Leander Leitner
Austria
Wels
Upper Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hey!

I have some rule questions.

1) Do you play with treasure cards or tokens? Every hero starts with 1 treasure card AND you draw a treasure card if you defeat 1+ monster(s) in your turn. I know some cards can only be used once but still you get too many items for my taste.

2) Paladin, Divine Challenge: Choose monster within 1 tile of you, place it adjacent to your hero. Attack one adjacent monster.

-> do you have to attack the monster you just moved to you? Or can you also move it to you but then attack another monster adjacent to you?

3) Fighter, Charge: Move up to your speed, then attack.

-> Basically, the attack action becomes a move + attack action.
a) Can you move, (move+attack)?
b) Can you (move+attack), move?
c) What, if you are dazed? Can you still say "I'm using my attack action and do without the move action" to move + attack (as it is only the attack action)?`

4) Some items give a damage bonus, for example the Vorpal Sword. If you roll a natual 18, 19 or 20, you deal +1 damage. Does this stack with a critical hit if you flipped your hero card to level 2 and roll a 20?

For example, you roll a 19 and do 1 extra damage...but if you roll a 20, do you do +1 (sword) AND +1 (criticial hit)?

5) Wizard Eye: I use these rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYVaaZb9gFA

However, the question remains if explored tiles with a black triangle trigger events or not? A sentry monster that explores a tile does not trigger an event (if the tile has a black triangle) but what about the Wizard Eye exploring a tile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Smith
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If playing a single scenario you play with the treasure cards, but if you're playing a campaign (like "Campaign Against the Clans") you use the treasure tokens instead, and purchase treasure cards with the gold in between scenarios. In a single adventure you do tend to end up with a lot of treasure cards. However, remember that you only draw one treasure card per turn when you kill a monster; you don't draw extra if you kill more than one monster in a turn.

2. You can attack any monster that is adjacent to you, so the monster you moved or another one that also happens to be adjacent to you.

3. The way I play it, all three of your scenarios are valid. The Charge power basically gives you a free extra move.

4. Yes, I'm pretty sure that will stack since it's a weapon + an innate ability. However, multiple weapons do not stack on each other. E.g. if you have two weapons that give you a bonus to your attack roll, you only gain one of the bonuses, not both (so you'd use the weapon that gives the greater bonus).

5. A sentry monster will draw a tile during the Villain Phase, not the Exploration Phase, which is why they don't force you to draw an encounter card should they bring out a black triangle. However, the Wizard Eye will draw a tile during the Exploration Phase and thus, if the tile has a black triangle, you will be forced to draw an encounter card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Amaral
Brazil
Recife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeanderLeitner wrote:

1) Do you play with treasure cards or tokens? Every hero starts with 1 treasure card AND you draw a treasure card if you defeat 1+ monster(s) in your turn. I know some cards can only be used once but still you get too many items for my taste.
I agree that items escalate quickly so I like treasure tokens. For non-campaign games I house rule rolling a d20 and only getting the treasure if you roll higher than X.

LeanderLeitner wrote:

2) Paladin, Divine Challenge: Choose monster within 1 tile of you, place it adjacent to your hero. Attack one adjacent monster.

-> do you have to attack the monster you just moved to you? Or can you also move it to you but then attack another monster adjacent to you?
Strictly reading instructions let you attack another monster since it is "attack one adjacent monster" and not "attack that monster".

LeanderLeitner wrote:

3) Fighter, Charge: Move up to your speed, then attack.

-> Basically, the attack action becomes a move + attack action.
a) Can you move, (move+attack)?
b) Can you (move+attack), move?
c) What, if you are dazed? Can you still say "I'm using my attack action and do without the move action" to move + attack (as it is only the attack action)?
Yes. Yes. Yes.

LeanderLeitner wrote:

4) Some items give a damage bonus, for example the Vorpal Sword. If you roll a natual 18, 19 or 20, you deal +1 damage. Does this stack with a critical hit if you flipped your hero card to level 2 and roll a 20?

For example, you roll a 19 and do 1 extra damage...but if you roll a 20, do you do +1 (sword) AND +1 (criticial hit)?
Yeah, that would be 3 damage.

LeanderLeitner wrote:

5) Wizard Eye: I use these rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYVaaZb9gFA

However, the question remains if explored tiles with a black triangle trigger events or not? A sentry monster that explores a tile does not trigger an event (if the tile has a black triangle) but what about the Wizard Eye exploring a tile?
The sentries reveal tiles in the villain phase AFTER you check if you revealed a black triangle (first thing in villain phase), this is way you don't get encounters from revealed tiles during your villain phase (either by sentry or an encounter card). The Wizard Eyes revels tiles in the exploration phase like any Hero, hence BEFORE you check if you revealed a black triangle in the beginning of villain phase. So yes, wizard eye exploration may trigger an encounter card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leander Leitner
Austria
Wels
Upper Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for your replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leander Leitner
Austria
Wels
Upper Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just played a Mysterious Chamber mission (my second game ever) and a lot of questions came up. Moreover, I didn't have a clue how this game works and what strategy to use. It seems to be a casual "roll a die" game but there's more involved than I thought. It was completely hardcore! I am used to HeroQuest and got overrun by monsters and events...Sentries spawning more monsters, Legion Devils, deadly encounters....

I picked two heroes, the Cleric and the Rogue. I randomly chose powers. I thought daily and utility card should be saved for later use and running around with normal attacks is sufficent but I was so wrong. Nowhere near the Mysterious Chamber entrance did I die. Sentries are awful and so are Legion Devils...I could only attack one monster each turn (not some fancy magic like the Dragonborn Wizard has).

Questions:

1) What strategy should you use? Always explore if possible? Avoid encounter cards? Stay and kill already active monsters and probably draw encounter cards or run away from them, ignore them, exlore new tiles?

2) First tile explored, Duargar Guard, he exlored a new tile with an Orc Smasher. Do monsters brought into play by other monsters act as if they were brought into play by heroes?

Ok, next tile I explored was a hallway...with Legion Demons! Hallway -> draw another tile...it had a black triangle and I drew a cave in...

3) Sentries either attack adjacent heroes or explore or move 1 tile to the closest hero...he was on a tile with heroes but not adjacent...so he did just nothing, right?

4) Later on, the Sentry was alone on a tile...but ithout an unexplored edge...so he moved 1 tile towards the closest hero...but where does he go? He runs on the tile of a hero although he is a cowardish monster that rather calls for help and only atttacks if adjacent to heroes. The second rule of his AI card only covers "no heroes, unexplored edges"...but if all edges have been exlored? I moved him on the closest hero's tile but not next to a hero...and not on the monster spawn point as it was occupied by another monster. How should this be played?

5) If a hero is down to 0 health, he is knocked over. His poisoned status is still active when he uses a healing surge next round...as some online sources say. What do monsters do? They cannot attack him with 0 hit points...do they act as if he was NOT in the game at all and move towards other heroes? Or do they still "see" him but without attacking him?

6) I drew a Conscious Blast card.

I had to move my heroes on an adjacent tile...a) Am I allowed to pick any square on that tile?
b) Am I allowed to move across stairs or stand on them? Are monsters allowed to stand there, attack on them? How do stairs work?
c) Monsters go from scorch mark to scorch mark...the start tile does not have one...should I place a monster somewhere else on that tile, somewhere in the middle?

7) I had to run away...monsters came after me...then I died because of poison. Do they just line up one by one if there are no unoccupied squares next to my heroes?

8) Some power cards say: "hit or miss, hero moves 1 square"...do you have to move the hero?

9) A very basic question...very often you follow the rules but they allow more than 1 option. For example, a monster might attack the closest hero...if two heroes are 3 squares away each, you can decide whom they attack.

a) But what if the monster AI says "within 1 tile -> attack"...and the monster is on a different tile than the hero. Is it up to you move the monster from its tile to the hero's tile to attack OR to leave it on its tile but move it to the edge so it becomes adjacent to the hero and is able to attack him?

b) Are you allowed to move monsters correctly (according to the rules) but to "bad" spots on purpose so only 2 can attack instead of 4 for example? The situation described in a) might either have only 1 monster attack or 2, depending where I move the monster. If two monsters could attack, do you have to let them or place everything so that they can only do the most harmless, valid move?

c) What if a hero is already poisoned and the other hero is not? Can you have the snake attack the already poisoned hero on purpose because he cannot be poisoned a second time and the monster does something brainless instead of poisoning the second hero?

d) In short, do you support the monsters and let them make the best of their moves, using up their full potential or do you mess them up with positioning, move actions etc.?

========

I'd be really thankful if you could answer my questions.
I played for almost two hours, only explored 8 tiles and suffered so much pain, monsters, encounters and really bad dice rolls!
I still have to learn a lot, what to do, when to attack, when to explore etc.
Oh, and I will use my power cards next time instead of saving them and getting overrun from the very beginning. By the way, mine were really bad...the best ones were not in play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Amaral
Brazil
Recife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) There are many strategies you could use but here are some guidelines:
I. It's healthy to explore often, but avoid if you are already overwhelmed by monsters.
II. Pay attention in which Monster will activate first when considering your target. You may have the cleric and rogue Hero Phases to kill monster A, but monster B will activate in the next Hero Phase. So it may be wise to kill monster B first and next Hero kills monster A. This way none activates.
III. Trying to get the 1 treasure/turn is a good way of getting stronger.
IV. The WoA cleric has only +6 to hit, so consider targeting low AC monsters.
V. Avoid having duplicate Monsters at all cost. This greatly increases their damage output. Prioritize killing them.
VI. Exploit Monster tactics: for instance when a monster move adjacent to a Hero you may place it in a also square adjacent to another Hero. This way the second Hero won't need to move to attack the Monster in his Hero Phase.

2)Yes. You place the Orc Smasher card on your Monsters queue. It will activate in the same Villain Phase it was placed.

3) Yes. This is an exploit you need to use for question 1) xD.

4) Monsters prioritize moving to scorch marks. If he was not adjacent to a Hero and on a tile with a Hero and no unexplored edges he will stand still until all Heroes leave the tile or someone gets adjacent to him.

5) They ignore the downed Hero. They are gentlemen and wait for you to get up.

6)
a. Yes, you choose.
b. I don't know why they did this but if you see the rules you cannot start on a stair square of the start tile. I assume they are not valid then for Heroes/Monsters. Nevertheless, stairs from secure exit/tunnel exit are valid squares because if I'm not mistaken you need to stay on them to leave the dungeon.
c. When the scorch mark is already occupied, you may place the monster in any other valid square of the tile. exploit!
7) Yes, they line up. But in the picture the ones not adjacent could move next to the upper grell. there stills 2 empty squares.
8) Well. If it's move and not move up then seems mandatory. Although it's silly to move when you don't. "Somebody help I can't control my legs! *burst into dance*.
9)
a. Only move the monster if the tactics say so. Some Monsters like Orc Archer and Gibbering Mouther have ranged attacks.
b) I Didn't understand that quite well. But the process is: try to make the first tactic TRUE. If you can not, go to next tactic. You can exploit Monster positioning if you still follow its tactics.
c) Yes if both are equally close to the snake. This is another exploit you should use to beat the game.
d) I abuse of Monster tactics, but only when they leave room for it, as in many of your previous questions.

Really glad you're having a good time

Edit: I made a wrong assumption in Answer 6, see my comment below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leander Leitner
Austria
Wels
Upper Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks!!

ad 5) "They ignore the downed Hero. They are gentlemen and wait for you to get up."

Is this only your interpretation or an official rule? In my game there were 4 monsters around the hero. It makes a big difference if they do nothing or all move 1 tile to the other hero and attack them.

ad 7) The picture shows my game over. Before, the two heroes were standing on their squares first, then the monsters moved up to them...could they really move to the unoccupied squares next to the Grell? Because they would need to jump over heroes. Heroes cannot pass squares occupied by monsters and it would make sense that this rule applies the other way round too.

ad 8) I don't understand the purpose of those cards... "attack adjacent monster...then any hero on your tile moves 2 squares". Do you have to do this or is it up to you? What's the purpose? To get more space when surrounded?

ad 9b) the basic line is "follow the rules but let the monsters make the worst move possible" right?

New question 1: Cleric's Shield: "Hit or Miss: Choose 1 Hero on your tile. That Hero gains a +2 bonus to AC until you use this power again."

Does this mean the hero has a permanent bonus for this quest?
You never have to use this power again because you can use others, for example one that also has a +6 attack but does something different.

New question 2: Can you use ranged attacks in adjacent situations? If a card says "blablabla shot, attack within 2 tiles" ... it's clear it is a ranged attack. Can you fire at adjacent monsters though?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Amaral
Brazil
Recife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ad 5)It's on the FAQ in the back page of rule book. This is the first FAQ question.

ad 6) I just played a game today and I saw that there's a text on start tile saying that Heroes can leave the dungeon if they are ON the stair. So I had done a wrong assumption before, I will update my first reply. Looks like you only begin adjacent to the stars but can move onto it during the game (which makes sense after all, it's a stair not a wall ).

ad 7) I don't recall seeing anything in the rules referring limitations of Monster movement. Although it makes sense to have them not being able to pass toward you. I, personally, prefer to stick to Monster's tactics. If a statement is true "Hero within 1 tile" then I follow the tactics "move adjacent to Hero" even if they need to "jump" the Hero.

ad 8) You could you use this card to help the cleric reach an unexplored edge or perhaps move a Hero out of a tile which will be attacked by a rolling bolder. I don't think it's mandatory since you could move one square then return to the one you started haha.

ad 9) Yes, this helps you winning the game. Although you may want to make Monsters "smarter" if you are looking for a tougher match. My group always opt for dumb Monsters "I will attack this armored 18 AC fighter instead of 14 AC Mage".

nq1) Yes. The +2 AC bonus will remain until you use Cleric's shield again. We usually only use this attack once, but even so the permanent +2 AC is worth.

nq2) Yes, you can do pointblank shots. If there is nothing prohibiting you in the attack power text then you can attack an adjacent target.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leander Leitner
Austria
Wels
Upper Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you for your help! Looking forward to my next game!
I will not use random cards then...I did not only forget about the heros' skills (the Rogue's matches with an at-will card I did not use) but used random cards and had bad combinations.

Fernando, do you have other D&D games as well? Castle Ravenloft does not interest me much, Legend of Drizzt has nice monsters and especially tiles and Temple of Elemental Evil looks nice too but I watched some videos by Black Belt Gaming (let's play videos) and all those traps in Temple of Elemental Evil are boring in my opinion. Traps will be really cool when mixed with other tiles but ToEE alone seems to be too packed with traps. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Amaral
Brazil
Recife
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all 4. Like you, WoA was the first one I got. In comparison to the others, WoA adventures are quite dull.

I share of your opinion about ToEE's traps, although I acknowledge that WoA trap system is not flawless (you need to move onto the trap to try disarming it).

What really shines in ToEE is the campaign, it's really cool to see your Hero progressing and have Monster/Encounter/Treasure deck adapt according to how well you fare in the adventures. There are very good individual adventures in ToEE. Also there some creative Monsters, not simply "attack within 1 tile or move". Kudos for Doppelgangers, Fire Cultists and Troglodytes. The encounter and treasure deck also have great cards.

About the other 2 games, LoD have good art in the tiles but is intentionally easier than the others (so you feel like superHero Drizzt), but this is exactly what makes LoD be the one I like the least. Stupid Drizzt is almost unbeatable with double attacks, damage prevention and preemptive attacks. CR is the hardest.

If you want more info/opinions, there are some threads comparing the games, like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Knaife wrote:

If you want more info/opinions, there are some threads comparing the games, like this one.

I almost responded to the last post in that thread then noticed it was from two years ago.

I've also got all 4. I'll probably pick up the 5th one this summer.

I like Ashardalon the best, but I think I'm in the minority. The Mysterious Chamber mission is one of my favorites. I think it's because it boils all the D&DAS games down to their core. Explore, find bad guy, do one of 12 boss fights.

For campaign, I also suggest looking at ninjadorg's stuff. Should be in the variants of one of these games.

It has a system for up to level 5 and I think it's actually a significantly better progression system than what's in any of the games.

It doesn't interfere with the advancement tokens, so you could still use those.

This is a very deep rabbit hole. Be warned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leander Leitner
Austria
Wels
Upper Austria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks!

It's a bit sad that every game introduces new mechanics but doesn't expand them in the sequel, for example the stances in LoD...ToFF has advantage and disadvantage although all others use poisoned, dazed. Using LoD's heroes in other games makes them overpowered but using the monsters makes them too strong, for example the troll as a regular monster with 4 HP and regeneration. Mixing the contents of the boxes is nice but not perfect...

I also like the Mysterious Chamber adventure best. Maybe I will just buy LoD's dungeon tiles from Ebay to make the dungeon a bit more interesting...let's see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.