Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Well here was I thinking the entire point of upgrading the Ritual and Doom tracks in the Onslaught Two Kickstarter was to make them out of thicker card, after complaints about the thinness of the original tracks and even an acknowledgement from PS that they were low quality in comparison to the other components. In fact my original tracks arrived damaged and had to be replaced.

'New, better-quality cardstock' is promised here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/cthulhu-wars...

Quote:
Well, many people have noticed that the Ritual and Doom tracks, while industry standard, do not seem as robust as the other parts of the game (also, they were not packaged as nicely as they should have been). For the second print run, we are using new, better-quality cardstock for these tracks. Everyone who signs onto Onslaught 2, even for just $1, will get these new Ritual and Doom tracks.

So I was pretty disappointed when I got my delivery today (including 22 plastic Gates which I bought as an extra) and found the card was just as thin as the original tracks. What the-?

They do have rounded corners though. shake

The gates are very nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Love
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I agree, I was also a bit surprised at how flimsy they are. As you say, wasn't that the whole point of pledging to OS2 (for me, anyway), to get thicker ritual and doom tracks?

I will just laminate mine, hopefully that will add a bit of stiffness and durability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, that is a shame to hear. I guess when I read
Quote:
For the second print run, we are using new, better-quality cardstock for these tracks.
I had extrapolated that to several mm thicker. Surprised to hear it's exactly the same though (or at least, just as flimsy).

Maybe I can mount them onto some mountboard for a slightly sturdier feel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's a bit dissappointing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing disappoints me just a little bit. Errata'd boards for Cthulhu and Black Goat were included, which is appreciated. But since the boards are a slightly different design from my original boards (no black border, rounded corners, tweaked typography), the two new boards now don't match the old ones.

A little thing I suppose, but I would have been really impressed if they'd included the Yellow Sign and Crawling Chaos boards in the new matching design too. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So why did I pay $8 (7 in shipping) to buy something I already have basically?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The errata pack contains more than the slightly nicer Ritual and Doom Tracks (the rounded corners help prevent foxing at the corners): it also contains errata'd Faction Sheets, Spellbooks, and I think (not 100% sure) Loyalty Cards. Thicker cardstock would have been nice, though :/

As for the design difference, they already lost money on these packs, and there was a $10 Punch-Board Faction Sheets add-on available if you really wanted a full set of quality, matching boards. Putting YS and CC faction cardstock sheets that don't actually have any errata into the Errata Pack would've meant losing even more money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have gladly paid more for thicker cardboard though. If cost was the problem then they should have given us an option to buy them. They will still stand out as poor quality on an otherwise premium game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never got from the campaign that the upgrade would just be rounded corners. I always though it'd be thicker cardstock
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure it was advertised as thicker cardboard!?

Edit: the kickstarter says "upgraded" card stock. I guess we all assumed it would be the same material as the new faction boards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lincoln Petersen
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically it's better card stock, but it's just really hard to tell. The rounded corners is the important feature I think.

If you wanted "thicker" you should've gotten the punchboards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
linkthestink wrote:

what
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ScoobyG wrote:
linkthestink wrote:

what
Cardstock is only so thick. The couple mm thick material everybody is thinking of is called punchboard.

Admittedly I can't find anything about punchboard versions of the doom/ritual tracks being available. The punch board add on was just for the faction boards from what I can see on the KS page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there are any punchboard options for the ritual and doom tracks Link. The KS only mentions punchboard versions of the faction cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Quite disappointing. ESPECIALLY for a game that costs this much. shake
Flimsy player mats are NOT the place to cut corners (pun intended) when it comes to game costs. How much $ is actually saved by using flimsy cardboard?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
Quite disappointing. ESPECIALLY for a game that costs this much. shake
Flimsy player mats are NOT the place to cut corners (pun intended) when it comes to game costs. How much $ is actually saved by using flimsy cardboard?
They were selling 8 punchboard faction boards for $10 during the KS. Not sure how much they'd sell the cardstock versions for, but that should give you an idea of the cost of the punchboard versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
Flimsy player mats are NOT the place to cut corners (pun intended) when it comes to game costs.

Well, to play devil's advocate, where would you cut costs then? The plastic? The detail and design of the minis? The game boards themselves?

Ideally, I'd love punchboard versions of the doom and ritual tracks as well. But if I was designing the game, and I wanted to trim costs **somewhere** that would probably be the place I'd do it too. All the other components seem like they'd be more important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Prince Albert
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
These will be used every game, not every faction or independent will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Off The Shelf Board Game Reviews
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I was reading things wrong myself. I paid the extra $10 for the upgraded card stock to punchboard because I was understanding that was how you got the punchboard. I have not seen the new stuff yet because I have to wait for delivery to the frozen north so I cannot see what the new stuff looks like but my understanding is that the $10 was required for the actual punchboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
Well here was I thinking the entire point of upgrading the Ritual and Doom tracks in the Onslaught Two Kickstarter was to make them out of thicker card, after complaints about the thinness of the original tracks and even an acknowledgement from PS that they were low quality in comparison to the other components. In fact my original tracks arrived damaged and had to be replaced.

'New, better-quality cardstock' is promised here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/cthulhu-wars...

Quote:
Well, many people have noticed that the Ritual and Doom tracks, while industry standard, do not seem as robust as the other parts of the game (also, they were not packaged as nicely as they should have been). For the second print run, we are using new, better-quality cardstock for these tracks. Everyone who signs onto Onslaught 2, even for just $1, will get these new Ritual and Doom tracks.

So I was pretty disappointed when I got my delivery today (including 22 plastic Gates which I bought as an extra) and found the card was just as thin as the original tracks. What the-?

They do have rounded corners though. shake

The gates are very nice.

Although I am not afraid to admit I am jealous you got all your stuff already while the rest of us are waiting for containers to unload.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grumsh wrote:
I guess I was reading things wrong myself. I paid the extra $10 for the upgraded card stock to punchboard because I was understanding that was how you got the punchboard. I have not seen the new stuff yet because I have to wait for delivery to the frozen north so I cannot see what the new stuff looks like but my understanding is that the $10 was required for the actual punchboard.
That is indeed how you get the punchboard faction boards.
After Lincoln's post I checked the KS page again and did not see an option for punchboard ritual/doomtracks.

I too am waiting for my goodies to arrive, anybody have some comparison pictures of the old and new tracks in the meantime?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Grumsh wrote:
That is indeed how you get the punchboard faction boards.
After Lincoln's post I checked the KS page again and did not see an option for punchboard ritual/doomtracks.

I too am waiting for my goodies to arrive, anybody have some comparison pictures of the old and new tracks in the meantime?

I am fighting a bug and have that head groggy thing which isn't allowing me to communicate well today. I thought the $10 was to get everything turned into punchboard, Factions boards, Doom Track, everything punchboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
ScoobyG wrote:
linkthestink wrote:

what
Cardstock is only so thick. The couple mm thick material everybody is thinking of is called punchboard.

I get that but there was no such choice in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nxumdon nxumdon
msg tools
mbmbmb
Gosh this is quite the bummer indeed! Even more about the two updated faction cards being of a slightly different design...gaaaah that tweaks my OCD nerve!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
.. but that should give you an idea of the cost of the punchboard versions.

All that tells me is how much they were selling the punchboard versions for, not how much it costs to make them.
I have a hard time believing it costs very much. There are other games out there that use thicker mat material for game components that don't cost half of what CW does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.