Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: Card Layout Help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Kautzmann
msg tools
Hey everyone, working on a superhero retheme for Summoner Wars (only 6 factions. I have most of the unit art done, but I cannot figure out the card layout.

I'm looking for something that fits with the classic comic aesthetic, and can fit all the necessary info (Name, Attack, Life, Cost, Range, Ability) hoping you all can help, honestly, I'm at my wit's end. It's so bad, I'm done lurking...

Here is some of the superhero art for a couple factions (of the 50 supers I've made, some are plagiarized, some are simply modified, others are original):

Here are 8 different layouts I've tried (some bad, some meh)...#3 is just the template for a dicemasters-style card. I have a near-full portrait of each hero as well as a square panel action shot for each (see #6 for an example). I need help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fynn
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sam2XD wrote:
Hey everyone, working on a superhero retheme for Summoner Wars (only 6 factions. I have most of the unit art done, but I cannot figure out the card layout.

I'm looking for something that fits with the classic comic aesthetic, and can fit all the necessary info (Name, Attack, Life, Cost, Range, Ability) hoping you all can help, honestly, I'm at my wit's end. It's so bad, I'm done lurking...

Here is some of the superhero art for a couple factions (of the 50 supers I've made, some are plagiarized, some are simply modified, others are original):

Here are 8 different layouts I've tried (some bad, some meh)...#3 is just the template for a dicemasters-style card. I have a near-full portrait of each hero as well as a square panel action shot for each (see #6 for an example). I need help.

I love your art, how did you do it?

1 and 2 don't seem to have as much info on the card, and I think 7 has too distracting a background. Maybe 8 with the ABILITY pane shrunk a bit? I think it takes up too much space on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Grablewski
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
First, just want to say, that I love the art and style. Without even knowing about your game, it begs to be played.

Now, on to the actual reason for posting...

I think the layouts for 1 and 8 appeal to me, because they beckon to the old marvel collectible cards they put out in packs. That's the theme you are going for, so I think those work well for me.

5 and 7 are too busy for my tastes.

2, 4 and 6 are also not bad, but they are too close to call for me.

I like 1 the best because the character is outside the frame and just stands out better. I also like 8, but the background (on the left) is too bland or needs something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milki Kaplanski
Germany
Bremen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting a very Freedom Force-y vibe here.. ;>

I like 1 and 7 the best, but would give them a somewhat clearer design.

With 1 the problem is that everything is so close together, it's confusing to have the close up of the face right next to the full body version, I'd move the face to the upper left or bottom left corner together with the stats, make it a separate part from the rest, leave it out of the comic panel. I think it would look best if stats & face were in the upper left corner and the hero name would be moved to the bottom.

With 7 you just need to switch up a few colours and need to add a bit of white to make it easier to distinguish everything. The Ability blurb should not have a yellow background, make it white so it stands out more. Add white or grey outlines to the name and the stat icons, everything just blends in too much with the busy background - but I think the busy background is actually quite cool. I like speed lines. ;)

I'm sorry, I kinda suck at explaining arty things in word form, but I hope it's at least somewhat comprehensible.

If you'd like you could send me the files over and I'll do some editing to SHOW you what I mean, I'm much better at that. XD

In any case, good luck with your re-theme! :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Davidson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I love the Kirby-esque art! Perfect for silver age comic book feel.

I think comic-book-style framing, colors, and text is VERY difficult to tranfser to a card game design. Superhero genre games always struggle with this and often look horrible in my opinion.

For example, Comic fonts do not work for game text (even better ones like Komika family). Font-type in Comic Books is used a very partiular way to communicate dialog and story to the comic book reader, it's a whole art with strongly established conventions that all readers have learnt to immediately interpret as part of the story being told primarily with pictures. This is the opposite of how game text in a card game should work.

Even in Comic books, modern Marvel and DC comics sometimes have blurbs in the first few pages that introduce each character (if you know what I mean, I couldn't quickly find an example). They are not in the regular comic font/framing, because they are information not story, they are usually in a computery or robotic font and framed a little more like a computer game UI. To make the correct comic book feel in a game I would do game text more like that (only ever use Comic fonts for flavour text).

Of the examples you have, I definitely like 7 the best. Many of the others look great as comic book pages, but like I said the whole point of framing and blocking in comics is to tell a narrative to the eye a certain way that is no help in a card game.

But with 7 I would tone the background down A LOT so we can see the stat numbers, the stat numbers need to jump out. Also change the game text and framing to robotic type like I explained.

- My 0.02

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Kautzmann
msg tools
Thanks for all the kind words! Huge post incoming.

IrishCyborg wrote:
I love your art, how did you do it?

1 and 2 don't seem to have as much info on the card, and I think 7 has too distracting a background. Maybe 8 with the ABILITY pane shrunk a bit? I think it takes up too much space on the card.

At the most basic level, I looked through google for classic Kirby-style images... I also borrowed a bunch from the game 'Freedom Force' which had a lot of useable content.

Then I simply edited them down to a clear background. Some I had to trace from smaller res images and recolor.

The more complicated supers were brainstormed with friends, then I would borrow pieces (like parts of a jacket, or an arm) from other images and Frankenstein it together. Finally, I would trace and recolor/blend everything.

The most complicated (not many like this), I would trace a real-world image and make it comic-book style. Crushmore is a good example... I recolored a drawing of the Thing, then I traced/redrew Washington's head from a dolor bill over it. Recolored it all to match.

miruki wrote:
Getting a very Freedom Force-y vibe here.. ;>

I like 1 and 7 the best, but would give them a somewhat clearer design.

With 1 the problem is that everything is so close together, it's confusing to have the close up of the face right next to the full body version, I'd move the face to the upper left or bottom left corner together with the stats, make it a separate part from the rest, leave it out of the comic panel. I think it would look best if stats & face were in the upper left corner and the hero name would be moved to the bottom.

With 7 you just need to switch up a few colours and need to add a bit of white to make it easier to distinguish everything. The Ability blurb should not have a yellow background, make it white so it stands out more. Add white or grey outlines to the name and the stat icons, everything just blends in too much with the busy background - but I think the busy background is actually quite cool. I like speed lines.

I'm sorry, I kinda suck at explaining arty things in word form, but I hope it's at least somewhat comprehensible.

If you'd like you could send me the files over and I'll do some editing to SHOW you what I mean, I'm much better at that. XD

In any case, good luck with your re-theme!

Definitely Freedom Force-y (as soon as I decided superheroes I got as much of their artwork as possible!)

TimST1E wrote:
I love the Kirby-esque art! Perfect for silver age comic book feel.

I think comic-book-style framing, colors, and text is VERY difficult to tranfser to a card game design. Superhero genre games always struggle with this and often look horrible in my opinion.

For example, Comic fonts do not work for game text (even better ones like Komika family). Font-type in Comic Books is used a very partiular way to communicate dialog and story to the comic book reader, it's a whole art with strongly established conventions that all readers have learnt to immediately interpret as part of the story being told primarily with pictures. This is the opposite of how game text in a card game should work.

Even in Comic books, modern Marvel and DC comics sometimes have blurbs in the first few pages that introduce each character (if you know what I mean, I couldn't quickly find an example). They are not in the regular comic font/framing, because they are information not story, they are usually in a computery or robotic font and framed a little more like a computer game UI. To make the correct comic book feel in a game I would do game text more like that (only ever use Comic fonts for flavour text).

Of the examples you have, I definitely like 7 the best. Many of the others look great as comic book pages, but like I said the whole point of framing and blocking in comics is to tell a narrative to the eye a certain way that is no help in a card game.

But with 7 I would tone the background down A LOT so we can see the stat numbers, the stat numbers need to jump out. Also change the game text and framing to robotic type like I explained.

- My 0.02

I tinkered a lot with 7, even tried a slightly different background. I messed around a bit... Opinions on this one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fynn
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmb
Sam2XD wrote:

I tinkered a lot with 7, even tried a slightly different background. I messed around a bit... Opinions on this one?

I like this version better, I think this is the best one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Kautzmann
msg tools
Another image dump. Here are 3 variations for the above. Would love more opinions!

Here's another attempt on #4/#6 variations... I guess I haven't quite given up on making one that screams 'COMIC!!' (Even though I'm limited to 2 panels)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melkonian
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick thing. I would consider changing the name of the Babush-Kill to Matryosh-Kill, since those are Matryoshka dolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Järventaus
Finland
Loviisa
flag msg tools
mb
I will be truly disappointed if the Bullshevik's negaverse version is not called Manshevik.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Kautzmann
msg tools
MFGer Prime wrote:
Just a quick thing. I would consider changing the name of the Babush-Kill to Matryosh-Kill, since those are Matryoshka dolls.

Interestingly, it was Matryosh-Kill... I tried Babush-kill since more peeps are familiar with the term 'Babushka' than 'Matryoshka'.

I also have a one doll version of the hero. I'm struggling with names for both...

Matryoshka(Babushka) / Matryosh-Kill (Babush-kill)
Matryosh-kill (Babush-kill) / Matryosh-Kills (Babush-kills)
Daughter Russia / Mother Russia

Any thoughts?

Naeddyr wrote:
I will be truly disappointed if the Bullshevik's negaverse version is not called Manshevik.

This made me lol. Well-played sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.