Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam Hatch
Australia
Mudgeeraba
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Possibly the world's dumbest question,modest but do you wipe your command line and start from nothing after each mission (envelope)?

Also, we tried a few rounds last night (for the first time) , and it felt like our mechs were wildly out of control, and we had hardly any control over our plan at all....

Any general non-spoilery help?

Thanks guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you reset the Command Lines for every mission. Remember that the first Draft is different to the rest, in that you get two cards each rather than 4 cards between the players, that's how you set up.

As for tips, there will be some chaos, it's unavoidable. Have a discussion before you deal each draft to determine what your goals are and who needs what. That way, you'll know who needs what when you are timed to pick your cards. Pay attention to who is going first that round and be aware of whether you are going to push each other when having this discussion.

Remember that the timer is only for picking your cards. You have plenty of time to choose where to slot the card/s you chose in each draft.

In many missions, it might be best to waste some time at first gearing up before you start to progress the mission. Don't get many movement cards and focus on getting some good attacks going. Figure out which Mechs will move ahead and clear paths and which will hang back to Push/Pull the Bomb or otherwise work towards the objective. When you're ready, start to grab a few movement cards and go for your goal.

Of course, some missions have a time limit on them and you want to do the opposite of the above. Movement is very useful for these missions, and having your turns be at least Level 2 will make it much easier to navigate.

Apart from that, keep trying. You'll probably get the hang of it through practice and seeing what goes right and wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, each mech starts each mission with a completely empty command line.

And for practice, you might try a couple of the single player puzzles that are here on BGG. It's pretty easy to assume there is more luck than there actually ends up being. Seeing the puzzles really reinforces that, imo. I'm sure others will have better advice than me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the useful drafting habits that came up in our playgroups that help with coordinating:
- calling out a card you would like to have
- calling "swap" or "repair" for the same reasons
- announcing "pass" as a shorthand for "I don't care what I get, so instead of telling me what you want to take so I don't pick it up just take yours instead"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A big thing that can be very helpful later in the game is to leave empty spaces between your cards that you program at the beginning of the game. It gives you room to put things in there later to fix or adjust things as needed without having to scrap a card to rearrange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.