Hide
7 Posts

High Frontier (3rd edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: How exactly works atmosph. scooping ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vladislav Smihula
Slovakia
Bratislava (Pressburg, Pozsony, Posonium, Presporok, Wilsonstadt, Bressalauspurch, Preslava, Istropolis)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I stops on aerobraking hazard place (circle with parachute) - it is not possible under normal conditions i think... only for scooping, ok?
2. I will not move next round and realize Refuel operation....
3. Then I have to move by the dotted line down to the planet

Is that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
H5. Atmospheric Scooping Op: Certain colonists and
operational refineries may scoop and liquefy an
atmosphere to use as a propellant. This op yields
8 WT of water. Unlike other site refueling ops,
scooping must be performed in the same turn after
the rocket or Bernal carrying the scoop has spent
its entire move on any AEROBRAKE HAZARD

(other than aerobrakes in the Earth zone, due to
environmental concerns). This op yields fuel of any
grade exactly as the factory refuel op (above).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald
Germany
Dresden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. There is not mandatory movement after entering an aerobrake spot, so you can always stop there.
2. Yes.
3. No. As long as you don't fly against an arrow, you can go in any direction.

Edit ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Schifano

St. Paul
msg tools
mbmbmb
This is actually a way to enter the orbit of the Saturn system without risking the Saturn fly-by -> Saturn aero-brake hazards(which include VAB). You use that most external route, aerobrake at Titan, but go into HTO instead of landing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Fellabaum
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
If you scoop in an aerobrake site that leads to a planet surface then, yes, you must proceed to the surface after the scoop refuel is done. But not all aerobrake paths lead to a planet surface. Most do, but not all. Look around- you'll see some that don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
acrosome wrote:
If you scoop in an aerobrake site that leads to a planet surface then, yes, you must proceed to the surface after the scoop refuel is done.

I've seen discussions on this point and don't believe it has been officially settled. Or, if so, can you point me to something definitive on this?

It has been questioned whether the path of the aerobrake is one way or not. I think everyone agrees you cannot cross an arrow in the wrong direction on an aerobrake path. But if you stop on the hazard on one of these paths, it is unclear if you can move back (i.e. away from the arrowhead) in a subsequent turn.

I think the consensus was that, apart from the restriction on crossing against the arrow itself, you can go in either direction on the path. But I didn't see any official statement on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Booth
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The only movement restriction for an aerobrake is that you can't go from a space to an aerobrake hazard against an arrow. Beyond that, all normal movement restrictions (or not) apply: aerobrake hazard spaces are considered spaces, you can't turn around once entering an aerobrake on the same turn but can on subsequent turns, etc. There isn't any official statement needed since it's all in the rules but people over-think aerobrakes and get confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.