Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This game has been very easy so far as the Americans, I've blasted through the first 3 scenarios without a scratch. What are some good strategies for playing as the Germans? I'm playing both sides solo. The German units in the first couple scenarios are so outmatched by the American paratroopers. I suppose that's slightly realistic, but I wish there was more of a challenge, I'm getting kind of bored winning so easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
As I think noted in some other recent thread, consider those first 3 scenarios to be merely training exercises for getting used to the rules and basic tactics, not necessarily as well balanced scenarios. I believe you will find that the US will not win all later scenarios easily.

(But FWIW: the fact that you say you're getting tired of "winning" so easily, when you are soloing both sides, makes me also wonder if perhaps you are unconsciously playing the US side with better tactics than the German side...?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
But FWIW: the fact that you say you're getting tired of "winning" so easily, when you are soloing both sides, makes me also wonder if perhaps you are unconsciously playing the US side with better tactics than the German side...?)

Perhaps. All the more reason why i need some strategy tips for them. Being the aggressor I have a good grasp of (Get the enemy suppressed then move in for the kill), I don't really know what to do on defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you doing anything to account for the fact that you are playing solo? I tend to deploy in a fashion so that I myself don't know which concealments are over dummy units and which over real ones, which slows me down as the attacker.

I will say that when I play those scenarios opposed, I tend to win as the Germans, so something is going wrong. The penalties for moving in the open in sight of a defender are enormous, so the Germans should be able to force some caution out of the attackers. Remember what the victory conditions are and conduct phased withdrawals. The US has to stop to suppress before crossing open ground, and a suppressed unit can usually retreat back to the next line of defensive terrain to recover. An American who advances too quickly will lose units, and one who advances too slowly will have the clock run out on them.

(All that said, scenario 4 is where things really kick off.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
seanmac wrote:
Are you doing anything to account for the fact that you are playing solo? I tend to deploy in a fashion so that I myself don't know which concealments are over dummy units and which over real ones, which slows me down as the attacker.

I will say that when I play those scenarios opposed, I tend to win as the Germans, so something is going wrong. The penalties for moving in the open in sight of a defender are enormous, so the Germans should be able to force some caution out of the attackers. Remember what the victory conditions are and conduct phased withdrawals. The US has to stop to suppress before crossing open ground, and a suppressed unit can usually retreat back to the next line of defensive terrain to recover. An American who advances too quickly will lose units, and one who advances too slowly will have the clock run out on them.

I thought you had to declare op fire as one of your actions in order to fire on a moving target? And wouldn't doing that prevent you from using a proficient attack? Or am I doing that wrong. I feel like I'm not op firing enough, but I don't want to waste an attack.

Also I do the suggested rule in the back of the book that has you place conceal markers only then chit pull from available decoys/units from a cup when exposing them. But I always end up revealing everybody in the first turn or two anyway. I think I might be missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoloGuy wrote:
seanmac wrote:

I thought you had to declare op fire as one of your actions in order to fire on a moving target? And wouldn't doing that prevent you from using a proficient attack? Or am I doing that wrong. I feel like I'm not op firing enough, but I don't want to waste an attack.

Also I do the suggested rule in the back of the book that has you place conceal markers only then chit pull from available decoys/units from a cup when exposing them. But I always end up revealing everybody in the first turn or two anyway. I think I might be missing something.

The only thing you should be doing with your defenders is marking them for Op Fire, or retreating suppressed units back to new cover to regain concealment and lose suppression.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoloGuy wrote:

I thought you had to declare op fire as one of your actions in order to fire on a moving target? ....... I think I might be missing something.

Any un-used unit can Op fire, the Op-Fire marker just makes such fire slightly more effective.

Even a Used unit can Op-Fire if you spend a command point on them

And don't forget final Op-Fire which is always available, even for Used units.

Basically the German defenders should sit tight and take all those wonderful shots at the US as they move in the open. When it's the German turn, spend every action placing OP fire markers (the slight advantage is well worth it) or, rarely, falling back to a better postion that will force the US to cross more open ground
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SoloGuy wrote:
seanmac wrote:

It sounds like you are getting a rule or two wrong.

Any unused unit can OP fire (and used units can final OP fire) The action that places an OP fire marker just gives that the unit a +1 when it OP fires later.
You are right that OP firing uses the lower proficient fire power, but that is generally made up for by the modifiers like target moving in the open. That modifier is huge, even without being marked OP fire you can usually get a better chance than using an action to fire.

You should also not be exposing units so quickly. If the unit is in cover then merely getting LOS doesn't remove concealment. You will need to hit the unit to remove concealment, or the unit needs to fire.
Generally it is not the best idea for the defender to wildly fire away as that removes their concealment and won't do much against an enemy in cover.

So as strategy advise; Don't have the Germans take actions to fire early on. Just mark them OP fire and only shoot when they can get more than 50% chance to hit the US units (easy enough to do when they are marked OP fire and the US are moving in the open)
Later have them fall back early enough to regain concealment. Remember the bonus to the MC when you declare that they are falling back, so even a suppressed unit has a good chance to make a run for it and live to fight another day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Skinner
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My impression playing those scenarios is that, yes, the Americans are much better, but they are really challenged to move quickly enough and not too quickly. If you don't cause suppression, you can't go. (You can, but you'll likely regret it.) You'll be safer (but not 100% safe) if you can get double (red) suppression. And to see the Germans slip away where you're going to have to do it again at the next building can be frustrating.

But once you do suppress and drive an attack home, you can really clean 'em out.

andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Also always make sure to keep some of your "real" defender units in reserve, to fill in gaps in the line when your front line guys need to fall back and re-group. The old military adage holds true ... if you don't fill in your lines, the enemy will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cornelissen
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also notice all the advice given follows standard WWII "fire and maneuver" tactics, something the BoB system rewards players for upholding while punishing -- shall we say -- "sleaze".

And I'll second the notion regarding Scenario 4 -- that's when the system opens up with a medium-sized engagement adding a whole lot of set-up and tactical choices. The sooner a player runs Scenario 4, the sooner they'll "get it".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
This is a great thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the tips, this is exactly what I was looking for. Op fire and retreating suppressed troops definitely changes everything. I'll have to redo those scenarios again and see if that makes a huge difference. I bet it will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space is intentionally left empty]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SoloGuy wrote:
Thanks for all the tips, this is exactly what I was looking for. Op fire and retreating suppressed troops definitely changes everything. I'll have to redo those scenarios again and see if that makes a huge difference. I bet it will.
Honestly, I'd just try those strategies with the next scenarios. As has been said the first three are all very small, similar engagements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Evans
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
SoloGuy wrote:
Honestly, I'd just try those strategies with the next scenarios. As has been said the first three are all very small, similar engagements.

Ok you got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb

Personally, I am not a huge fan of Op Fire for 2nd line German troops UNDER Conceal markers.

Proficient Firepower 1 +4 for moving in the open, that's only 50% chance to suppress one level. I don't want to give up concealment for that.

Now, if they move adjacent to you, or you've lost your Conceal marker already, light 'em up.

MGs are tough. On one hand, their higher FP means that CAN reduce US squads in the open. Then again, you lose concealment, and the enemy knows that much more about your setup. I REALLY like keeping everybody under conceal markers until the markers are taken away from me. The enemy has no idea if they are looking at a squad, MG team, or a decoy. Looking at all those markers can make them very cautious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.