Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
2 Posts

Munchkin Oz» Forums » Reviews

Subject: UMCR Munchkin Oz Review: We're not in Kansas Anymore... and that's Great!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Van Dam
United States
Appleton City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin Oz was the third Version of Munchkin I picked up. I hadn't planned on getting another copy, but reconsidered after I had the chance to play it with my sister and nieces.

Components
Like all other Muchkin games the cards and dice are of good quality. The art work is of the same fanciful and cartoon style. The art is appealing and friendly without being to cutesy. The theme of this game is the Wizard of Oz, and the Oz books by L. Frank Baum which have recently become public domain.

Game Play
The game play is similar to other munchkins, a starting hand is dealt which provides armor, traits, and effect cards which help you in the game. All players start at level one and progress up by kicking down doors and fighting monsters.
The unique element in this version is allies such as Dorothy, the Tin Man, Toto, etc.

Experience/Observations
Pros. The first time I played this game I noticed something different about it... Other editions of the game have art work and innuendo that can be problematic in some groups. Cleavage and more adult humor that while mild is a deterrent. I was pleased to see this version removed all of that. It also is built upon a theme that is much more relate-able to non-gamers. Where some will roll their eyes at a dungeon crawl many will give a game about the "Wizard of Oz" a shot. The game allows for player interaction and places for meaningful choices by players. There are also some nice Easter Eggs for those who have read L. Frank Baum's Books.

Cons. It is still very much a take that game and can be random and chancy, with players piling on, or bad card draws the game can be frustrating. There is a fair amount of reading so younger kids might struggle. This along with analysis paralysis can inflate the length of the game and hurt the pace.

Final Thoughts
If you like Munchkin or want to try it, this is the Best version.
I rate this game a 8.

UMCR Reviews Geeklist
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter Shelburne
msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for taking the time to review, glad you enjoyed your time in Oz!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.