Paperback» Forums » General

Subject: Underwhelming component quality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bough Paperback as part of their recent Kickstarter for Hardback. As soon as I picked up the cards I was a bit disappointed. There were already some decoloration on some cards, probably they were somehow glued to each other; and after 1 play (and I am normally quite careful with handling/shuffling) some already show in the corners some wear-and-tear.
As a side note, some cards (like dividers) also seem badly centered. However, that does not impact game play, it's just aesthetics unpleasing.

For a deckbuilder the wear-and-tear could prove horrible.
Did anyone else experience the same thing, or was it just me? Is sleeving a must?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Paperback when it first came out, so this might not be any indication of the current quality of production, and I did sleeve my copy. My mother-in-law, sister-in-law and wife however did not sleeve their copies (yes I bought 4 copies) and I have not heard any of them complain about the cards getting messed up. Again, this was back when it first came out, so not sure if anything has changed since then.

They aren't the highest quality cards nor are they the worst I've seen in a game, but we've had no complaints. As a side note, due to the amount of shuffling and uneven wear cards are going to receive in a deck builder, I always sleeve any deckbuilder I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Murr wrote:
As a side note, due to the amount of shuffling and uneven wear cards are going to receive in a deck builder, I always sleeve any deckbuilder I have.

This. Any cards that are constantly handled and shuffled are going to show wear after only a handful of plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Worst card quality I can remember encountering in a modern game. I Kickstarted Hardback anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
valzi wrote:
Worst card quality I can remember encountering in a modern game. I Kickstarted Hardback anyway.

Really?

Fleet Captains/Mage Knight has much worse card quality. I found Paperback to be pretty solid overall. Not sure if it's a different printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
valzi wrote:

Sadly, that was my exact feeling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kimchi fried rice
United States
Uptown
New York
flag msg tools
AKIMBO!
badge
반갑습니다!
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you guys back Fugitive from Fowers? Now those are the worst quality cards I've ever had in a card game. I was bending cards, TRYING to sleeve them because they are so flimsy, they fold on themselves! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bacon
United States
Farmington
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Idaho11 wrote:
valzi wrote:

Really?

Fleet Captains/Mage Knight has much worse card quality. I found Paperback to be pretty solid overall. Not sure if it's a different printing.

I've never heard of Fleet Captains, but Mage Knight has better cars quality than Paperback. Both require sleeving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Hoagland Family
United States
Mount Holly
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest complaint is that the cards in my set are not all the same size. Some are juuust different enough that it makes shuffling a pain. This bugs me way more than the flimsiness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Highlander Highlander
msg tools
My components, cards, box etc were fine.
No problems here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Brown
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Heaven sent me a special angel to love and it was covered in fur.... "(^._.^)ノ",
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
torontoraptors wrote:

As a side note, some cards (like dividers) also seem badly centered. However, that does not impact game play, it's just aesthetics unpleasing.

I also just picked up a copy of Paperback from his website during the Kickstarter run of Hardback. Several of my cards (the letter cards) are off-center. There is a blueish purple line on the right side of mine....oh well, at least it doesn't affect the game. I thought the cards felt kinda cheap. I will be sleeving them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what edition I have, but I found the cards to be a of solid quality.

Firm, linen finish, felt great.

Also, its not a big deal in this game if the cards show some wear. The Offer piles are face up, so nothing would be given away there.

And the cards in your hand are immediately shown when you make your words...and no player is going to play differently if they happen to know what letters you have in your hand because they have already drawn their hand and can't really do anything anyway.

I only sleeve cards if a)the game is oop, rare and/or very expensive OR b)the game would not work if other players knew what cards you had (i.e. A bluffing game or a vs. game like Battlestar Galactic or Mythic Battles)

I didn't see any printer errors in my copy either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.