Hide
5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendations for a relative Newbie rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh T
msg tools
Hey everyone! A few guys and I have started getting together a few times a month to play Lord of the Rings Risk: Trilogy Edition. And we love it - the strategy and combat. But we're looking for something new now and looking for recommendations.

We love fantasy games as well as the Star Wars universe. Besides for Magic: The Gathering (which I personally LOVE), I've never played a card-driven game. It's always been dice-rolling.

Some games that I've been looking at are: Star Wars: Rebellion, Blood Rage, Dead of Winter, Star Wars: Imperial Assault. But I'm open to other options.

I had thought about Star Wara: Armada or X-Wing, but the rolling cost, such as buying additional sets and ships, seems to be A LOT!

Any recommendations for an exciting game for up to 4-5 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrel
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Rebellion is a 2 player game.
Star Wars: Imperial Assault has the same ongoing cost as Armada or X-Wing.
I would recommend Blood Rage, but you will need the 5th Player Expansion to play it with 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl
Canada
Markham
Ontario
flag msg tools
If you're looking into Blood Rage, I'd recommend you to look at Kemet as well. There's an expansion Kemet: Ta-Seti as well as crossover C3K: Creatures Crossover Cyclades/Kemet but I think the base game is good enough on its own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
wallflower83 wrote:
Besides for Magic: The Gathering (which I personally LOVE), I've never played a card-driven game. It's always been dice-rolling.

I really really recommend Seasons. It is a fantastic card driven game with dice for resource management. Lots of strategy and synergy between the cards. I've enjoyed all 4 player games of Seasons that I've played. I do think it works even better when just two people play as it makes the "duel" even closer. Similar to Magic in that regard.

wallflower83 wrote:
Some games that I've been looking at are: Star Wars: Rebellion, Blood Rage, Dead of Winter, Star Wars: Imperial Assault. But I'm open to other options.

I think you would be happy with Dead of Winter. It's such a good 5 player experience. Especially when you play with the hidden traitor. Honestly, It's one of the all around best experiences with 5 players, especially if you and your friends enjoy good narrative elements... which I'm assuming you do.

Of the Star Wars games you listed, Imperial Assault is probably best at your player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh T
msg tools
comamonkey wrote:
Star Wars: Rebellion is a 2 player game.

I've heard that it can play up to 4 people. Is it not good as a 4 person game?

Thanks for all the ideas! Any more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.