Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
After getting frustrated with level ups not doing anything until they are sufficiently high enough to use better stuff. And, some of that stuff takes a lot of level ups to use - I had this thought:

I have not play tested these but thought I'd put it out there to see what you think:

Strength level ups:
t1 - turn a black die showing blank to 1 sword.
t2 - as above but to 2 swords
t3 - attack gets +2

Dexterity - as above but for blocking against physical attacks
Faith - as above but for blocking against magical attacks
Intelligence - Not sure yet but could be used in finding treasure, e.g draw +1 cards and discard?

You would still get extra dice from equipped weapons, armour etc but the level ups would be useful immediately.

Any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those seem overpowered in my opinion. Of course, we have only played campaigns so these maybe great for one shots. For campaign incentive I thought about once you reach tier 3:

strength; +1 attack / block

dex: reroll 1 dodge die

intelligence: +1 magic attack / resist

faith: Gain +1 stamina regen.

I do kind of agree that something a little extra should be tied to leveling up besides gear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
I did think that they could be overpowered but that's why I only increase blanks - if you roll a sword it does not get increased except at L3.

Also, to cater for this the cost of levelling up could be increased.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're onto something for sure.

What if tier one didn't do anything, and the tier 1 and 2 awards were for 2 and 3?

Generally, the idea has merit. There should be more to leveling up than 'oh now i can wear 1 of these 20 gear cards'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks. It's something I want to get developed but don't want to overpower anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get why you want to do this. This game has some solid balance right now and your proposed rules would throw it off.

Even taking the T1 strength upgrade means that you've now fully trivialized starting hollows, as you would auto kill them without a roll, presuming you had two black dice. By tier 3, getting +2 damage would blow all the silver knights out of the water as that circumvents their armor.

About the only thing I can think to suggest is that you could write up your benefits and it would cost your Heroic Effort token to utilize one effect from the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United Kingdom
Leicester
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmb
No, there would still be a chance to fail with 2 black dice as I only propose to allow the upgrade to affect 1 die.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Ito
msg tools
I am sad that there is no stat scaling like in the videogame... increasing stats in this game simply fulfills the requirement of a weapon that may or may not be useful.

Stats should always give a positive benefit, otherwise whats the point in specializing?

Right now its:

Get weapon => do you like it? => match stats to use.

Boooooooriing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love that people are always brainstorming for different ways to enhance gameplay with any board game. It really is the beauty of board games, you can always house rule so you get the fun factor you crave.

I do have to agree with the above poster. This does seem like it would trivialize the gameplay immensely.

For all the ideas thrown around the only one I do think I will always use is some way to enchance the treasure deck. I would love a system with possibly having random drops off enemies (not sure how you would pull this off, would probably need a loot table and a d100 maybe?) The other being an evolving merchant. I am really surprised there isn't a merchant system in the core game rules. In all the souls games almost all equipment is availbale at some point for purchase. I am all for the really good gear being 100% random draws. I would love an official rules update for a merchant though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chilliface wrote:
No, there would still be a chance to fail with 2 black dice as I only propose to allow the upgrade to affect 1 die.

Regardless, it would create a skew the balance of the current system.

The Herald (Black die +1 with stamina) should buy Tier 1 Str, and would then use stamina to auto kill all Hollows.

The Knight, possessing a blue die with his starting weapon should never buy Tier 1 Str because it poses no benefit until he eventually finds a different weapon.

I stand by my assessment that this proposed system is over powered, only because the current system is balanced with what the weapons currently provided (starting weapons to the upgraded weapons). Any increase will be bound to cause an imbalance. If that's what you want, then you should go for it. I like house rules, but I don't feel that this one will work, except to make the game considerably easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ Montoya
United States
avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually was coming up with something similar, but rather than base unlockable abilities on the tiers, i opted to use the stat point on each tier. So to unlock a strength ability, you need to reach level 20+ and again at lvl 40. This scales pretty well since different classes hit 20 and 40 at different rates.
Here is what I've come up with:

STRENGTH at lvl 20 = - 1 stamina requirment by 1 for physical attacks
40 = +1 damage with Physical attack

DEXTERITY lvl 20 = reroll 1 dodge roll per enemy activation 1 (not per attack)
lvl 40 = reroll any 1 attack die per attack
INTELLIGENCE lvl 20 = can draw 2 item cards, pick on and shuffle other
lvl 40 = when attacked, you may spend (or apply) the difference of stamina to the defense roll compared an enemy's attck

FAITH lvl 20 = -1 stamina requirement for magical attacks
lvl 40 = +1 damage for magical attacks.

The Intelligence buffs were a bit hard to come up with. Originally I wanted to come up with something that allowed INT to be able to look at the top of the on coming Boss behavior card, or something of that nature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.