Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nan Lin
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently got the core set but haven't gotten to playing it yet. If I do enjoy it and can get it to the table, I might get the other 4 colors.

However, is the starter set worth getting as well? It's more than half the price of a 2-faction box for a third of the content. I think I've read that one of the two heroes is somewhat playable, the other being overpriced due to being a neutral color.

If you had only the six color factions, would you buy the starter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Useful if:

* You want to have a 1v1 intro mode to show people the game

* You want to play competitively or with multi color builds (Finesse is a strong spec)

* You want extra squad leader boards, chits, etc.

Not useful if:

* You want to stick to mono-color 3-hero and don't want to mess with custom builds
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't. I have the deluxe set but didn't even open the starter. Since I only play with pre constructed decks, the start decks donnot fit very well (they only have two colors and not three.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn King
United Kingdom
Ivybridge
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have the deluxe set and I've found the starter decks really helpful for introducing the game to new players. I'm really glad I have them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you ever plan on experimenting with building your own custom codex, or want to engage in a 1 spec vs. 1 spec match, they are extremely useful.

I bought it and have absolutely 0 regrets. If nothing else, it is a source for extra tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The neutral factions are super useful if you want to play other stuff than monocolor. Finesse is part of one of the most powerful combo build (Strength/Finesse/Peace).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Peacock
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It was a good way to introduce my wife to the game. Glad I have it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also enjoyed using it for teaching. Bashing is particularly good for that because there isn't a ton to read on the cards. I keep these two in the small box and it really is easy to carry around and bring over to teach. It's hard to teach the game if people have to read a whole bunch of complicated cards. Finesse is not that bad either and cad interactions are pretty straightforward.

I haven't tried the 1v1 hero mode with any of the other heroes. I think Setsuki might work. It's probably unbalanced but I don't it mattered that much for just learning the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T.J.
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
The neutral factions are super useful if you want to play other stuff than monocolor. Finesse is part of one of the most powerful combo build (Strength/Finesse/Peace).

That's interesting. I didn't know that but my very first build was Bashing / Peace / Strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.