Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Thomas
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, after asking for weeks, I FINALLY got my wife to play Clans of Caledonia with me on Tabletopia.

I'd played several solo games, and 2-player games against only myself (to see how the "neighborhood" bonus played out), and I really wanted to play against an opponent... and also to see if she liked the game at all, since I am expecting to play 2-player with her most of the time after it arrives (yes, I backed it!).

I took 7 hours total, including time to teach the game, having to reload the Tabletopia table a few times, and bathroom breaks. It was also my wife's first time using Tabletopia and there was some time lost just doing things that would be simple IRL. In addition to that, understand that my wife often takes longer-than-average turns in most strategic games we play, and here we would talk about potential actions and their potential outcomes.

She played Clan Buchanan (extra contract), which was great because it's a simple Clan power to understand, and particularly forgiving when you don't yet know how to evaluate exactly which contracts are going to benefit you soonest. So she didn't get stuck in a bad contract for long.

I played Clan Fergusson which was great because I hadn't played them before.

One noteworthy moment was at one point in round 4 of the game, she expanded to my neighboring sheep unit and bought 4 wool at the neighborhood discount for 3 each (5 minus 2). She kept them since the end-of-round bonus was 1VP/basic good. Of course, since she purchased a bunch at once, wool prices skyrocketed to 8, and in the 5th (final) round she sold a few wool for a big profit to buy cheap bread instead for their 2VP value each.

The living market is very interesting!

In the final scoring, she managed to collect 30 Hops(!) to my 19 Hops, and had 8 more points in basic goods. But I made up the difference in Cotton and Sugar Cane. We split the Contracts bonus (7 contracts each), and were practically tied at 153(me)-152(her).

...but she won the settlement bonus and won 164 to 153!

Afterward, she thought it was like Agricola, Puerto Rice, and Settlers of Catan had a baby. For reference, Puerto Rico and Catan are two games she likes a lot -- Agricola is a bit on the heavy side, and I think we only played once.

The main negative was, "It was hard learning on Tabletopia. Can't wait til the kickstarter gets here!" So she's willing to play it again!

...just not in the Tabletopia interface.

I enjoyed it very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice... my wife wants to wait, but I have played it on Tabletopia and loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.