Hide
16 Posts

Outlive» Forums » General

Subject: First play of the game ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Purkiss
msg tools
Had a try at the game (2 player) today, seems nice enough, got a couple of rules wrong although it's fairly straightforward compared to Anarchrony. Think we may need to add the horde expansion to make it a bit tighter and replicate a 3 player game with 2 players, although I imagine that adds more resources due to having another technical player.

I'm assuming you can use the room ablities every turn and not just when they are activited?

Didn't noticed the the boards / smaller tokens being thin during the game and it seemed to play well, keeping radiation down and resolving events seemed more important that buying rooms. Should get better the more we play it.

What are your thoughts after your first play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Maire
France
St Jean de Moirans
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use each room ability once per round, during Night phase 5 (building room), except for a few room with action space dedicated powers (i.e. those with Cargo effect etc.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R B
United States
Mayville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Care to do a review comparing it to Anachrony?

I love Anachrony and this one looks interesting too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Connor Cranston
Netherlands
Rotterdam
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kakawette wrote:
You can use each room ability once per round, during Night phase 5.

That doesn't seem to make sense to me for a lot of rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Pauly
Germany
Goettingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rbeall88 wrote:

Both games are not that comparable in my opinion. Outlive feels a bit like Lords of Waterdeep. Anachrony on the other hand has many interlocking mechnisms and is much more complex.

The main reason you might want to consider a comparison is that both games are "overproduced" Euro Style Kickstarters in huge boxes. The material quality and quantity in Anachrony is by far superior to the one in Outlive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves St-Denis
Switzerland
Basel
BS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Khonnor wrote:
kakawette wrote:
You can use each room ability once per round, during Night phase 5.

That doesn't seem to make sense to me for a lot of rooms.

I agree, that does not make much sense.

How about rooms that say "City: +2 Search tiles", or "Hunting: +2 foods"? Do you get these bonuses as you perform the actions during the day phase, or during Step #5 of the night phase? (to me, waiting for the night phase does not make sense, and on top of it... I will certainly forget!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Maire
France
St Jean de Moirans
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No as said, rooms with power related to action on the main board are used when doing the action (once per round). So for your examples for sure it is used during day time.

But all other are used during step 5 of Night phase.
Example : the room where you can add 1 survivor to the SAS --> during phase 5, so after radioactivity management and after feeding survivors.
Or the room that say "pick 1 equipment and repair with -1 ressource" --> you pick the equipment during phase 5.
Etc.

This has been explained by LaBoiteDeJeu on a French forum (Tric Trac).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Purkiss
msg tools
rbeall88 wrote:

Anarchrony is more involved and a deeper game, as someone else mentioned this is more along the lines of waterdeep, it plays fairly quick and is fine for what it is as a lighter game. It plays well and has potientail bumping oppurtunities, that said I would say that I find it to be amazing (that said I played Anachrony a lot before recieving this one). Think it could work well with 4 players due to the supressing actions and limited resources combined with the events, also has a much shorter play time.

I got the normal version, although I would have found the deluxe one overproduced for what the game is (as the tokens are very high quality anyway) and a hassle to take to gaming days with me (I don't take Anachrony out with me for this reason). Anachrony on the otherhand benefits from the models, as they are visible on the table, especailly with the amount of table space it takes up, the game wouldn't be the same with small hex tiles being used. I also found that Anachrony was good value with the models, whereas they wouldn't seem to add much to this game IMO.

Of the 2 games I prefer Anachrony, although this game is lighter and is another theme I like, hence the appeal. Having the solo mode (is unfortunate that if you up the difficulty you need to use different colour meeples for the enemy) which can be added to a 2/3 player game is a nice addition too, main benefit of the stretch goals, along with having the improved player boards, everything else is just for a bit more variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Martin
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Outlive first play review:
We played a three player game at our local games club last night. The hunting rule was played totally wrong and to my benefit. I won the game handsomely. I had so much meat I was known as the butcher! Hunting per action is wrong – it costs all you actions minus the bullets you spend. There is a great hunting example in the well written rule book.
Another player went for the equipment strategy – exo-skeleton and armour to put the pressure on us as well as bows and hunting equipment for creature kills – not as many as me!

I gave a brief introduction to all the players about the locations and the turn sequence. The players were then able to make a reasonable stab at choosing a character and starting special rooms and off we went. I played the girl – Liza with the amunitions kit – so was able to pick up extra ammo at the military base for free. This would only happen if the equipment was mended. All equipment is found with a repair cost – repair is an activity people do at night apparently.
I chose and built the room that allowed me to repair one piece of equipment for free per round. I also built the room that made me immune to events (except scarcity events) – this was very powerful as all my fellow players were suffering extra doses of radiation due to a radioactive cloud and I was immune. This was one event I did not try hard to solve. Solving events gains you survival points – and we all know what points do – wins you the game. You as the winner will have the privilege to join the Convoy to leave this radioactive world and join their secret submarine cities.

The movement is a wonderful feature of the game play. You can move one of your 4 numbered game pieces (3,3,4,5) 1 or 2 spaces and you cannot move to a space where you have a game piece already. If you move a piece onto a space with active survivors and your value is bigger you can put pressure on them to give you stuff – they can resist with bullets (ammo). Then you can take actions at your locations matching the number on your survivor. This is great fun. You can find materials, go hunting, find broken equipment, conditionally get water and get canned goods and find survivor tokens which bags you the first player token if you are first on thaqt space that turn.

I have the basic copy of the game. The tokens are thick cardboard, so are the room and equipment tiles. People have complained about the hunting tiles and city tiles being thin but they are functional and work perfectly well. The board is bright and the art beautiful and evocative of the theme.
The gameplay was the reason I kick started the game – and the game play does not disappoint. I am not missing the masses of plastic that those with the deluxe edition have – although I am sure they look great. I have chucked all the extra mini expansions into the game. It also came with a solo variant which I am looking forward to playing. The boards in my edition came with spaces to put room tiles in and your goods – they work really well and look great. They are only cardboard backed with a plastic underlay – but they are perfect for the job.

The game play is swift once everyone had a grasp of the rules. I feel it is not too much of a brain burner definitely lighter than Anachrony in that the action choices are not as vast - more Islebound/Above and below with a bit more nastiness!
Other posts here do point out some clarification of some rules need making. We played you could not build the same room twice and the room and equipment abilities worked when it seemed most logical in terms of being benefit and only worked once per round. The rule book has an FAQ where all the individual events, rooms and equipment are explained.
Overall I would give it 8.5 out of 10 and my play group and I are looking forward to playing again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michail tridimas
Greece
athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Easternking wrote:
Outlive first play review:
We played a three player game at our local games club last night. The hunting rule was played totally wrong and to my benefit. I won the game handsomely. I had so much meat I was known as the butcher! Hunting per action is wrong – it costs all you actions minus the bullets you spend. There is a great hunting example in the well written rule book.
Another player went for the equipment strategy – exo-skeleton and armour to put the pressure on us as well as bows and hunting equipment for creature kills – not as many as me!

I gave a brief introduction to all the players about the locations and the turn sequence. The players were then able to make a reasonable stab at choosing a character and starting special rooms and off we went. I played the girl – Liza with the amunitions kit – so was able to pick up extra ammo at the military base for free. This would only happen if the equipment was mended. All equipment is found with a repair cost – repair is an activity people do at night apparently.
I chose and built the room that allowed me to repair one piece of equipment for free per round. I also built the room that made me immune to events (except scarcity events) – this was very powerful as all my fellow players were suffering extra doses of radiation due to a radioactive cloud and I was immune. This was one event I did not try hard to solve. Solving events gains you survival points – and we all know what points do – wins you the game. You as the winner will have the privilege to join the Convoy to leave this radioactive world and join their secret submarine cities.

The movement is a wonderful feature of the game play. You can move one of your 4 numbered game pieces (3,3,4,5) 1 or 2 spaces and you cannot move to a space where you have a game piece already. If you move a piece onto a space with active survivors and your value is bigger you can put pressure on them to give you stuff – they can resist with bullets (ammo). Then you can take actions at your locations matching the number on your survivor. This is great fun. You can find materials, go hunting, find broken equipment, conditionally get water and get canned goods and find survivor tokens which bags you the first player token if you are first on thaqt space that turn.

I have the basic copy of the game. The tokens are thick cardboard, so are the room and equipment tiles. People have complained about the hunting tiles and city tiles being thin but they are functional and work perfectly well. The board is bright and the art beautiful and evocative of the theme.
The gameplay was the reason I kick started the game – and the game play does not disappoint. I am not missing the masses of plastic that those with the deluxe edition have – although I am sure they look great. I have chucked all the extra mini expansions into the game. It also came with a solo variant which I am looking forward to playing. The boards in my edition came with spaces to put room tiles in and your goods – they work really well and look great. They are only cardboard backed with a plastic underlay – but they are perfect for the job.

The game play is swift once everyone had a grasp of the rules. I feel it is not too much of a brain burner definitely lighter than Anachrony in that the action choices are not as vast - more Islebound/Above and below with a bit more nastiness!
Other posts here do point out some clarification of some rules need making. We played you could not build the same room twice and the room and equipment abilities worked when it seemed most logical in terms of being benefit and only worked once per round. The rule book has an FAQ where all the individual events, rooms and equipment are explained.
Overall I would give it 8.5 out of 10 and my play group and I are looking forward to playing again.

Great review!
You can built a room twice
You cannot have two same items

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah... I'm regretting my last minute upgrade to the Deluxe edition lately. The box seems unnecessarily huge. I don't know if it's a game that needed to be so over produced... But it looked so great it was hard to resist.

Wonder if it will have the same fate as the Tokaido Collectors Edition though where I'll take one look at that box size and realized I'll never bring it anywhere to play it... And immediately sell it and get the regular edition after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb O
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
Yeah... I'm regretting my last minute upgrade to the Deluxe edition lately. The box seems unnecessarily huge. I don't know if it's a game that needed to be so over produced... But it looked so great it was hard to resist.

Wonder if it will have the same fate as the Tokaido Collectors Edition though where I'll take one look at that box size and realized I'll never bring it anywhere to play it... And immediately sell it and get the regular edition after all.

Cost was my main reason for not getting the deluxe edition, but seeing the unblocking videos, I'm glad I didn't for this reason. The boxes seem overly big for the tiny minis, and it seems it would all fit fine in the normal box if they were just in ziplock bags or similar. Could be wrong on that, but either way, huge boxes for not much stuff, and a lot of shelf space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tweed Dust
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hunting per action is wrong – it costs all you actions minus the bullets you spend. There is a great hunting example in the well written rule book.

Not all actions surely. The rule, as I understand it, is that it costs as many actions as the endurance level of the prey. That is the red number inside the paw print (3-7), minus spent bullets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Maire
France
St Jean de Moirans
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TweednDust wrote:
Quote:
Hunting per action is wrong – it costs all you actions minus the bullets you spend. There is a great hunting example in the well written rule book.

Not all actions surely. The rule, as I understand it, is that it costs as many actions as the endurance level of the prey. That is the red number inside the paw print (3-7), minus spent bullets.

Correct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danielle A
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Gamer Librarian
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the first two days of a 2-player game last night to get a feel for it. I agree that the box is unnecessarily large. And the boxes that hold the resources and commodities--they look awesome but they're hard to open and much larger than they need to be.

The thing that bothered me the most though...I've spotted several typos and/or grammatical errors on equipment, the reference cards, etc. But I'm a grammar Nazi, so maybe others will be less annoyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Paul Klee, "Tod und Feuer" (1940)
mbmbmbmbmb
EzzValdez wrote:
The thing that bothered me the most though...I've spotted several typos and/or grammatical errors on equipment, the reference cards, etc. But I'm a grammar Nazi, so maybe others will be less annoyed.

The worst one is the "Acces Card" equipment, because it even says in its rules text that it grants "access"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.