Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars» Forums » General

Subject: What would you do? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Demagogues are in power and it's their turn. They've revealed a Military issue in Sparta. This is part of their plan to ravage Sparta.

But... what should they do? There's no way those two Athenian land units can take on the mighty Spartan warriors. Sure, they'd win the optional naval battle, but this is land first, naval second. They could maybe muster the Delian land units from nearby, but they wouldn't be able to exit Boeotia to enter Sparta (if I've got that rule right).

So, what would you do in this situation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like they should just raid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plainscape wrote:

Ah, but I think it has to be a contested theatre for a raid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ronnietucker wrote:
The Demagogues are in power and it's their turn. They've revealed a Military issue in Sparta. This is part of their plan to ravage Sparta.

But... what should they do? There's no way those two Athenian land units can take on the mighty Spartan warriors. Sure, they'd win the optional naval battle, but this is land first, naval second. They could maybe muster the Delian land units from nearby, but they wouldn't be able to exit Boeotia to enter Sparta (if I've got that rule right).

There are a couple of things to discuss here, but unless one of those Athenian land cubes in some way insulted your family and you want revenge sending them to Sparta is a suicide mission. Here is why:

I would ask you to look at 9.0 Abbreviated Military Issue Sequence. Always follow the sequence of play in order or things can go off the rails.

Look at 4., this is an enemy controlled theater, there is no option to conduct a raid. Now if you have a second Military Issue in the Spartan queue and you can get a surviving unit into Sparta then you can raid.

Like the historical Athenians you need to send naval units into Sparta as if you send land units you will lose the land battle very badly. In your diagram the Spartans have a land strength of 19 (remember the 300 is also a strategos) and a naval strength of 6 (300 Strategos again).

So, if you just sent naval units, the Spartans will win the land battle and it will be their option to fight the naval battle. If you do not resource the Athenian naval move with sufficient naval units the Spartans will have a chance to win the naval battle, although with only one Spartan naval they have insufficient strength to kill an Athenian naval unit.

What would I do, since there are is no issue queue in Athens, there are no attacks this turn, so send in a strong naval fleet of 5 naval units with appropriate Strategos support. What will occur is the Spartan's are unlikely to fight the optional naval battle and if they do you are likely to win and you cannot lose any units since there is only one Spartan naval unit (as long as you do not bring any Delians).

Then if you have another military issue in the Spartan queue you can then raid as it is now a contested theater.

OR

Pay one Strategos and cancel the military issue.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Tucker
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MarkHerman wrote:
ronnietucker wrote:

There are a couple of things to discuss here, but unless one of those Athenian land cubes in some way insulted your family and you want revenge sending them to Sparta is a suicide mission. Here is why:

I would ask you to look at 9.0 Abbreviated Military Issue Sequence. Always follow the sequence of play in order or things can go off the rails.

Look at 4., this is an enemy controlled theater, there is no option to conduct a raid. Now if you have a second Military Issue in the Spartan queue and you can get a surviving unit into Sparta then you can raid.

Like the historical Athenians you need to send naval units into Sparta as if you send land units you will lose the land battle very badly. In your diagram the Spartans have a land strength of 19 (remember the 300 is also a strategos) and a naval strength of 6 (300 Strategos again).

So, if you just sent naval units, the Spartans will win the land battle and it will be their option to fight the naval battle. If you do not resource the Athenian naval move with sufficient naval units the Spartans will have a chance to win the naval battle, although with only one Spartan naval they have insufficient strength to kill an Athenian naval unit.

What would I do, since there are is no issue queue in Athens, there are no attacks this turn, so send in a strong naval fleet of 5 naval units with appropriate Strategos support. What will occur is the Spartan's are unlikely to fight the optional naval battle and if they do you are likely to win and you cannot lose any units since there is only one Spartan naval unit (as long as you do not bring any Delians).

Then if you have another military issue in the Spartan queue you can then raid as it is now a contested theater.

OR

Pay one Strategos and cancel the military issue.

Mark

Phew!

What you've said is pretty much what I was thinking, Mark.

There's no way the Athenians can win a land battle, and it's up to the victor if there's a naval battle. And if there's a naval battle then the Athenians would definitely win. Without a doubt.

I think the Phormio Demagogues will go with your recommendation of sending boats and ignoring a land battle.

I think there is still a Military issue in the Spartan queue as the Demagogues seem intent on destroying Sparta.

That's the great thing about this game. With me having the memory of a goldfish, within minutes I have no idea what's in the theatre queues. laugh

Thanks for the insight Mark!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ronnietucker wrote:
plainscape wrote:

Oh. For some reason I thought you could move units in and then raid with them with one issue. I see that's not the case now. Thanks for the education.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plainscape wrote:
ronnietucker wrote:
plainscape wrote:

Oh. For some reason I thought you could move units in and then raid with them with one issue. I see that's not the case now. Thanks for the education.

Think the wizard of Oz

Follow the sequence of play road
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loïc Boué
France
VITRY SUR SEINE
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wonder if I understand the link between Athens and Sparta correctly : it's a "parallel blue connection" with no exit permitted for land units.

The only way for land units from Athens to Sparta is through Corinth where the two land units would be stuck.

It seems odd that Athens can ferry troops all the way to Sicily but not to Sparta, so maybe I'm missing some rule here ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Torc wrote:
I wonder if I understand the link between Athens and Sparta correctly : it's a "parallel blue connection" with no exit permitted for land units.

The only way for land units from Athens to Sparta is through Corinth where the two land units would be stuck.

It seems odd that Athens can ferry troops all the way to Sicily but not to Sparta, so maybe I'm missing some rule here ?

No ferry permitted, I assumed Athens could send in other units to open the way through the Isthmus.

If Athens committed 9 Strategis they could send 6 land units into the Isthmus then it could send through 2 land to Sparta, original question and still send a naval unit via the naval route to bypass Isthmus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.