Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a KS game in the mail a couple years ago. It had a messed up box top. The creator sent me a new box top.

So I've had this empty box top sitting around. Long enough that a sequel to that first game just delivered to me. It has lots of extras that don't fit in the box.

So I got to thinking about using that old box top. It already has art from the games on it

I just need a box bottom. Do you DIYers think a bottom made of foam board (like home made inserts) would be strong/sturdy enough for a box bottom?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Laporbo wrote:

I just need a box bottom. Do you DIYers think a bottom made of foam board (like home made inserts) would be strong/sturdy enough for a box bottom?

Absolutely. Just today I took a PnP game housed entirely in a foamcore box to my local gaming group, packed in a heavyweight shopping bag with, like, six other boxed games of various sizes. It survived the two car trips, twenty minutes traipsing across town and being slung under the table and behind the bench chairs at the pub with no problem whatsoever.

I'm in the middle of editing a video on making full-size game boxes for PnP games, and the middle section is exactly this - making a box from nothing but foamcore. In my opinion it's a great material for home box making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Chiriatti
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the game (or box-type) you have but you might consider making a cardboard box extender to "telescope" your current box so that it has taller sides and maybe the expansion can then fit. I did this with dominion, I made a box extender with cardboard that goes around the border of the sides of the box and the top still fits just fine. I then made a few card "rows" out of cardboard as well for inside the box (I removed the original insert) and now the cards fit standing up and I can fit about 5 expansions plus the base game in the original box. I would include a picture but my dominion game is in storage.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Graham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Is there different thicknesses of board? All I know are the ones about 1/4". That good enough?

What glue? Any tips or warnings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.