Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » General

Subject: Which Base Set? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MICHAEL MCGUIRE
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am brand new to this game and want to purchase it. Which base set is the best one to get?
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on what you want.

Rise of the Runelords: Standard RPG classes. It has the least scenario variety.

Skulls and Shackles: Pirates, guns, and ships. Ship mechanics feel a little clunky.

Wrath of the Righteous: Early scenarios are difficult. Characters get real powerful later when they get mythic powers.

Mummy's Mask: Most thematic set IMHO. Scenario variety is quite high.

My ranking:
Mummy's Mask
Rise of the Runelords
Wrath of the Righteous
Skulls and Shackles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Whichever is on sale!

Also, Paizo has an occasional holiday sale. Picked up several PACG expansions at half off. Free shipping at $100, though. B&N had PACG base sets at a deep discount as well. See you on the Hot Deals forum!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
Depends on what you want.
My ranking:
Mummy's Mask
Rise of the Runelords
Wrath of the Righteous
Skulls and Shackles

Obviously, this is extremely subjective.

I liked the ship mechanic in S&S just fine.
Many people would rank S&S above Runelords.

Looks like the only downside to MM is it may be too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
only got runelords and mummys mask..for me,Mummys mask is a lot better than Runelords.havent got the other two didn't fancy the pirates one..and possibly getting the Wrath later in the year.
by the way the expansion sets [six in each pathway].add tons of stuff to the game..i have got all 6 for runelords.and first 4 for MM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL MCGUIRE
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tootz wrote:
only got runelords and mummys mask..for me,Mummys mask is a lot better than Runelords.havent got the other two didn't fancy the pirates one..and possibly getting the Wrath later in the year.
by the way the expansion sets [six in each pathway].add tons of stuff to the game..i have got all 6 for runelords.and first 4 for MM.

Will I miss anything, as having never played before, by getting something other than Runelords?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
CommanderMcG wrote:
Will I miss anything, as having never played before, by getting something other than Runelords?

An earlier, less streamlined rulebook

I recommend starting with Mummy's Mask because of the aforementioned variety. If you run out of things to do with ~35 scenarios and different mixes of characters, you can try the other base sets. If you end up not liking them you can still enjoy using the heroes from them in other base sets (just mix in boons from the path you're playing and you're good).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CommanderMcG wrote:
tootz wrote:

No, each set stands completely on its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just remember that Rise of the Runelords is the easiest to learn, if that's a primary concern.

I love all four sets, but I would never recommend Wrath to new players. It's punishingly difficult in the early stages.

After RotR, Mummy's Mask would be a close second in terms friendliness to new folks, but I'm teaching four new brand players right now and they continually struggle with what 'invoke' means (cards that invoke, banes than invoke, etc.). Plus each MM boon card has more uses (compared to RotR), which makes card effects easier to forget. Some of the character powers are also stranger compared to RotR, which makes them more difficult to grasp and apply.

There's a ton of support on these forums, though, so whatever you choose will work out just fine. Unless you choose Wrath, in which case you'll die a lot. Arboreal Blights and Demonic Hordes still make me cry in my sleep.

Whatever set you choose, be sure to check the relevant FAQ before starting each scenario. That'll save you multiple headaches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bucho Bucho
msg tools
mb
CommanderMcG wrote:
I am brand new to this game and want to purchase it. Which base set is the best one to get?
Thank you.

I'd say that the flavor you're looking for is a pretty big consideration. Really this game (except for the flavor) could be replaced with a set of dice and a flow chart of tables. You're spending about a hundred on cards to get the flavor, so you had better like the flavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Skulls and enjoy it quite a bit. I'm quite tired of the other themes, even though in general I do like fantasy, etc. It's nice to play with pirates every now and then. Agree, though, that in essence the games are pretty much the same mechanically but for a few tweaks and differences. Should be totally about whichever theme you are most interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Every game has a story guide, so you should be set whichever title you choose.

Rise of the Runelords Adventure Guide

Skull & Shackles Adventure Guide

Wrath of the Righteous Adventure Guide

Mummy's Mask Adventure Guide

PACG Hero Backstories

PACG Blessing Deck Deities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add that Runelords changed the most between printings, yet many shops may have older adventures so you may end up (like me) with cards with various level of terminology vagueness and more importantly different card back colour.

Also many people here assume buying all is great, you may get tired with the game after one set so choose the one that seems thematically the most interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.