Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
mbmbmbmbmb
Having become addicted to this series, I've been idly thinking about other conflicts that could be modeled by the system. The most challenging aspect of the design would appear to be designing the bots as I can't see how you reach a workable bot flowchart without many dozens, if not hundreds, of playtestings for just a single faction's bot, let alone what would be required for designing functional bots for multiple factions that will be in play at the same time. Are there any decent blog posts or articles on-line about how bot design for COIN works in practice?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tcaalaw wrote:
Having become addicted to this series, I've been idly thinking about other conflicts that could be modeled by the system. The most challenging aspect of the design would appear to be designing the bots as I can't see how you reach a workable bot flowchart without many dozens, if not hundreds, of playtestings for just a single faction's bot, let alone what would be required for designing functional bots for multiple factions that will be in play at the same time. Are there any decent blog posts or articles on-line about how bot design for COIN works in practice?

My gut feeling would be that the base game itself would be the challenging thing to balance. If the game is balanced you can make the bots work inside that system. Of course the bots will be a bit stupid at times, so then you need to adjust by giving them some slight advantage to make up for the stupid. That model already seems "solved" in principle.

The standard model for bots is not unique or optimal, of course. There could be lot's of different bots people could come up with.

But my point is that the base game should be the focus. The bots will follow if the game is good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Does no one here read the Player's Aid blog: https://theplayersaid.com/2017/04/26/guest-blog-the-science-...

or InsideGMT: http://www.insidegmt.com/?p=16740

(Edit: It's Player's Aid of course, not Play's Aid.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
mbmbmbmbmb
masil wrote:

Thank you. I read those sites occasionally, but had missed those particular articles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
is brilliant. Read, and learn from him.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Kleinhenz

Brownsburg
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the shout out Vez! And thanks for writing those fantastic articles on bot design for our site and for GMT. Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.