Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nikiforov
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, even if somebody want to do some unpaid work, they cant, because they dont know what to draw there. And, as I said, you are asking for a big chunk of unpaid work, which you may, or may not like.

Why would anyone want to draw anything for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilhem Bedos
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1

OP: if you want to get some job done, offer money – that's the most basic way of getting something in a capitalistic system...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiefer Shipman
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
namesurename wrote:
Well, even if somebody want to do some unpaid work, they cant, because they dont know what to draw there. And, as I said, you are asking for a big chunk of unpaid work, which you may, or may not like.

Why would anyone want to draw anything for you?

I think you misunderstand. I'm not talking about doing three weeks of work for this. I'm talking about like maybe a few hours of work to get a sample. I can look at all the orc pictures you did, but that doesn't help me get a baseline for THIS game. I want to see what you can bring to the table.

I don't want to waste anyone's time. What if I like someone's drawings on their portfolio, but don't like the product they give me? Then the artist is out possibly weeks of work for something they didn't get paid for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Meowcows wrote:

I don't want to waste anyone's time. What if I like someone's drawings on their portfolio, but don't like the product they give me? Then the artist is out possibly weeks of work for something they didn't get paid for.

As a heads up: you seem to be under the impression that how commissions work is that you tell the artist what to do, they do it, and if you like the finished product then you pay for it... but the vast majority of artists don't work this way. Many require part of their fee up front, and there will be WIPs along the way for your approval so there are no surprises at the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiefer Shipman
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Mashpotassium wrote:
Meowcows wrote:

As a heads up: you seem to be under the impression that how commissions work is that you tell the artist what to do, they do it, and if you like the finished product then you pay for it... but the vast majority of artists don't work this way. Many require part of their fee up front, and there will be WIPs along the way for your approval so there are no surprises at the end.

So to recap, I commission someone, they give me updates or whatever at a certain point, but I don't like it. I still pay them and then I go with another artist and repeat until I find someone I do like. BUT because I'm no Rockefeller, I blow all of my money getting previews for a product I wind up not liking. How in the world is that a decent business model? Again, just because you can draw orcs and wizards and giant mechs doesn't mean you can draw this specific project.

I'm lost, I'm confused, and I'm beyond frustrated. My game is ready and the artwork has been the hardest freaking part of the entire thing. I'm scared I'm going to be ripped off. I'm scared I'm going to get a crappy product made with crappy royalty free vectors that were slapped together in an hour but I'm being charged for six. The money I have for this project is not my own, but an investor who really believes in my game, and I don't want to let him down.

I have had countless projects in the past. I've tried to write books, screenplays, songs, video games...they all have one thing in common-I never finish them. I hit a snag and I just give up. I finally have a project that I'm almost done with and I need it done right. After this, I may never finish another project again, so if that is the case, I wasn't to go out with a bang.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julio Bencid
msg tools
Meowcows wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:
Meowcows wrote:

So to recap, I commission someone, they give me updates or whatever at a certain point, but I don't like it. I still pay them and then I go with another artist and repeat until I find someone I do like. BUT because I'm no Rockefeller, I blow all of my money getting previews for a product I wind up not liking. How in the world is that a decent business model? Again, just because you can draw orcs and wizards and giant mechs doesn't mean you can draw this specific project.

I'm lost, I'm confused, and I'm beyond frustrated. My game is ready and the artwork has been the hardest freaking part of the entire thing. I'm scared I'm going to be ripped off. I'm scared I'm going to get a crappy product made with crappy royalty free vectors that were slapped together in an hour but I'm being charged for six. The money I have for this project is not my own, but an investor who really believes in my game, and I don't want to let him down.

I have had countless projects in the past. I've tried to write books, screenplays, songs, video games...they all have one thing in common-I never finish them. I hit a snag and I just give up. I finally have a project that I'm almost done with and I need it done right. After this, I may never finish another project again, so if that is the case, I wasn't to go out with a bang.

2cents here from an 3 year freelance artist, If youre almost done and truly believe in your project you should have no problem putting the money down for the art.
Like previously mentioned, most artist will work with you through their process to make sure what you get is what you like. You can certainly make the call from a portfolio review. Its quite simple, if you like what you see in an artist's portfolio you will very likely like the work they turn out for you
I understand it can be overwhelming but asking for free work (even a few hours) might not be the best way to start. Go online search out artist you like, email them, and get in contact. Or use these forums to ask for interested artist (so many talented people here!)

good luck with the project man
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Meowcows wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:
Meowcows wrote:

I understand that it feels scary to have to put your trust into someone you don't know, but look at it the other way too: I've heard of plenty of artists who did work in good faith and in the end are stiffed. There has to be a middle point Also, to clarify: you wouldn't pay the whole fee if they're not giving you the final artwork. The upfront fee is to show you're serious, and pays for part of the work the artist is going to do. Different artists will have different policies on how this will work, and you will have to ask them. If you don't feel comfortable with them, then don't hire that artist, but keep in mind that almost every professional will require some payment beforehand if the work is substantial. You can also look for those who have references or completed projects that demonstrate their reliability. Yes there is a risk when you hire someone, there is always a risk, but there are ways to reduce that risk.

My suggestion to you is to look at portfolios and see whose art you think might fit, then message them. To be clear, you don't have to commission the whole thing right away, just explain that you just want to have an idea of whether their art will fit, and ask how much they would charge for a small sample (maybe an hour's work), or ask if they have anything not shown in their portfolio that might demonstrate what you're looking for. It's possible some may give you a reduced rate if they think they can get the whole project, or cut you some other breaks since you're a small outfit, but it depends on who you're asking. Looking for local artists that you can meet in person may also help assuage some of your concerns.

A big thing, however, is to know what you want before you ask. Re-reading your OP, I noticed that you're not sure what style you're looking for. This is not good, and yes this will be a waste of money going to different artists just to test different styles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.